international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-06-14 21:14:24

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Season One Revisited

jack_addict wrote:

apparently jon cassar or someone walked in and went, WTF? so carlos got new clothes big_smile

I think it was Stephen Hopkins, Cassar wasn't on the show at the very beginning.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#27 2007-06-15 07:18:36

J_A
Administrator
Website

it might have been, yeah.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#28 2007-06-15 07:34:38

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen episode 4, what really strikes about that episode is the beginning, theres a real sense that it starts just a split second after 3 finished, and if you edited them together, someone who hadn't seen them before, would just carry on watching, without thinking there had been a shift of any kind.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#29 2007-06-15 12:18:58

smitten

I just watched episode 8 which is brilliant, it's a real climax. I also noticed one point where Gaines is looking up his contacts list, Jamey Farrell is third on the list, first on the list is Michael Loceff!

#30 2007-06-15 20:41:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

just watched ep 5. still, not NEARLY enough tony wink.
a couple great scenes tho.

tony's only scene, with nina
"You still pissed off about the lockdown?"
"Jack's never gonna trust you again and I'm not sure I will either."
"You don't trust me but you trust Jack?" Perfect tonysarcasmism

george is finally on board with jack in the penticoff case and george's cynicism makes you laugh. great character. pity he didn't live too long. "We never had this conversation." lol.

the issue of "you're gonna have to trust me." hmm, how many times will we get to hear that? many big_smile. but we heard it twice in this one ep.

david palmer... scares not only his son but also himself as he grabs keith after keith refuses to talk to him about the past. well played father son dynamics there. after sherry, here's the sign that the rest of the family is also not intact and is also starting to crumble down.

and two quotes I'm sure everyone remembers

"What do you mean there's a body in the trunk?"

and

"Cause you see, Dan, you're either dead or you're not dead. There's no such thing as 'sorta dead'. Here, let me show you." big_smile. gaines was really perfect. so calm about everything. and scary. I am quite sure that if they hadn't come up with such a good villain in those first eps, it would have lessened the impact of the show as a whole. not TOO much is going on - yet. they're building things up, spreading the net. but the characters holding the corners of the net are jack, gaines and palmer, and to some extent george, at this point. had any of them been a lesser actor, it might not have been that interesting.

and if I remember correctly, this is the last ep where we actually believe that alan york is alan york... the body in the trunk will explain everything.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#31 2007-06-15 21:44:57

Steph24
Website

I love that quote Gaines said. He's a pretty scary baddie...:|

OMG! I'm so happy I didn't read about the Alan York twist... That was a pretty awesome twist to me =]

steph24.jpg

#32 2007-06-19 12:20:07

Steveb

I'm actually working my way through season 6 at the moment, but did take time to watch the very first episode again and I still marvel at how good it is. The one thing that strikes is the emphasis was far more on the emotional energy rather than on the action energy, we knew we were if for a build up to something and it didn't matter if we had to wait a while for it to get there. Plus the real time factor is far more noticeable with clocks and watches being used to establish scenes.

To a point it's a shame they lost that. Not that I don't think the new stuff isn't good- but the finer points of detail have gone in place of the grander picture.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#33 2007-06-19 16:18:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah i agree. it's like they figured, aww to hell with real time it's just too complicated. but to me it was definitely one of the things that got me watching 24 in the first place. and yeah you're right, the clocks always underlined the time crunch topic here smile

tony.jpg

#34 2007-06-19 20:36:58

smitten

Steveb wrote:

I'm actually working my way through season 6 at the moment, but did take time to watch the very first episode again and I still marvel at how good it is. The one thing that strikes is the emphasis was far more on the emotional energy rather than on the action energy, .

You are absolutely right. There was a lot more 'emotional energy' as you put it, and it really made the characters - well, characters!

I've just watched episode 9 (8-9am) and am once again blown away by it. And I've watched it - what, 3 or 4 times already?

I love watching Jack escape custody - one of my favourite themes. Do you reckon Kiefer did all that tumbling down the embankment? It certainly looked like him. Then, once he kidnaps Lauren, that phone call to Nina, it's just so beautifully done. The way he fidgets, checks the blinds, and the camera is just everywhere, it almost makes you seasick. He's so beautifully apologetic to Nina, after all he's only just shot her and left her for dead, that was after (falesly wink ) accusing her of being a mole, and that was after dumping her... Just lap up the guilt, Jack!

But by far the most powerful scene is the rape of Teri. You learn so much about Teri from this - what it is that keeps her and Jack together in spite of everything (I mean, he can't be easy to live with). It's one of the few times I can actually identify with what a character on 24 does. Much as I admire Jack, I can't really identify with him.

#35 2007-06-19 21:33:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, kiefer tries to do most of his stunts himself - at least as long as the insurance ppl let him wink. he's getting older now so I'm not sure how much he still can or wants to do (he stated he's "getting too old for jack bauer" in interviews) but in the early seasons he definitely was doing lots of stuff himself.

and yes, jack surely ain't easy to live with.

tony.jpg

#36 2007-06-24 12:52:58

smitten

OK, more random thoughts. Toward the end of the first half of season 1 we see (1) Tony and Nina munching on ?rolls and (2) Jack eat. We get a measure of Jack's hunger by the way he wolfs it down, despite it looking like the very worst kind of nuked ready meal. But he sets it aside when Alberta talks to him, a measure of his priorities - work is more important than appetite. We've also seen him struggle with tiredness, when he nods off at the construction site office with Lauren.

I don't understand why in other seasons they make such a principle of not showing Jack eating. I'm not saying he should nibble on chocolate in the middle of a gun-fight, but I think these occasional references to his basic physical needs make him more heroic, not less so. To the best of my memory he doesn't eat at all in seasons 2, 4 and 6. In season 3 he is brought a tray of food and has a few coffees. In season 5 he eats breakfast (hope that's not too bad a spoiler). If they would just put a protein-bar next to the bed every time he goes down to medical to get his ribs checked...

#37 2007-06-24 21:55:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

and now for some random thoughts from me ;-)

I watched up to ep 10 now and thank Almeida - there's more Tony here now ;-) big_smile. seriously, tony moments are becoming more and more - and great ones too. like the jamie interrogation...

"And this is what you did?"
"You have no idea what kind of pressure I'm under."
"Oye, eres una verguenza."

"What else has she given you?"
"Excuses."

loved tony interrogating jamie. he wasn't nearly as scary or bitter as in a later season with another character, but the psychological "warfare" is certainly one of the things he is damn good at, even then. "That's a picture he's gonna carry with him for the rest of his life." .... "And if he can't get to you directly where is he going next? Your son, right?"
There was so much tony in these eps it was real cure for my foul mood.

or the moment tony figured out jack had taken nina out of ctu at gunpoint "why'd he give her a flak jacket?" - the sharp, quick thinking tony in action.
one thing that I noticed - when nina called into ctu after she'd woken up, she demanded a few times to speak to jamie... now, at this point, naive and not knowing what is going to happen, it seems a little odd to say the least that she'd be so focused on jamie - especially since it's tony who picks up and you'd think she should trust tony - after all, she's sleeping with him, right?... but eventually, bringing in the knowledge we have now, the question becomes, did nina know already about jamie? and somehow the answer 'yes' seems probable.

one of the eps I watched today (6-10) bears the one moment where jack starts trusting tony - and even though tony had called the lockdown AND told secret service to arrest jack - this is at the latest the beginning of what is to become a brotherhood between jack and tony. they have different methods, but ultimately they realize they're after the same thing and start working together instead of against each other. I can't help but love their moments on screen together. oh, and a completely random thought at this point: tony's goatie! I don't actually mind it anymore. it doesn't really look conspicuous on screen and even though it fits him better in season 4, hey, the guy makes it LOOK good big_smile. glad he got to change clothes, cause that grey sweatshirt really did nothing for him. the dark purple shirt is soooooooooo hawt big_smile. Almeida is God B)

some wonderful moments with jack too. like when he's talking to teri and kim and hiding from the cops and tony, nina and milo are all listening in. great camera work there, too. the whole feel to the scene makes you feel like you're eavesdropping and you shouldn't be there. nina's and tony's reactions to what they hear add to that. some really good stuff.

the palmers.... things are not going anywhere good on that front.

oh and we see the Drazen connection being announced... one of the best quotes among many - "If Plan A fails, you should have a plan B, not Plan A recycled" that still cracks me up. shame we won't get much more of gaines - he was really good. I actually can't believe half the season is almost over. lol.

hmm. and they brought in the second in a long row of bueraucrats who'll hit ctu with the rule book while slowing it down and trying to get to jack. alberta green. from the moment she gets there you already start disliking her. and unlike chappelle or mason, she actually turned more into hammond and we never really had a chance to start liking her. I mean, I didn't. hey, I get it, I really do. she's just doing her job, but.... you know tongue

anyway, off to bed now. it's workday tomorrow. i'll try to watch eps 11 and 12 tomorrow.

tony.jpg

#38 2007-06-25 08:52:20

Steveb

jack_addict wrote:

one thing that I noticed - when nina called into ctu after she'd woken up, she demanded a few times to speak to jamie... now, at this point, naive and not knowing what is going to happen, it seems a little odd to say the least that she'd be so focused on jamie - especially since it's tony who picks up and you'd think she should trust tony - after all, she's sleeping with him, right?... but eventually, bringing in the knowledge we have now, the question becomes, did nina know already about jamie? and somehow the answer 'yes' seems probable.

I don't know if she did or not. I think it's likely she knew about the Gaines operation but didn't know about Jamie's involvement. The reason she eventually killed her was because her link to Gaines could create a compromise. Nina was the Drazen's mole. I think her reason for talking to Jamie and not Tony was because Walsh had ruled her out as a suspect.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#39 2007-06-25 11:39:32

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I think her reason for talking to Jamie and not Tony was because Walsh had ruled her out as a suspect.

hmm, that is entirely possible, I suppose. my only problem with that theory is that it implies she didn't trust tony. and since she had been using him for a while, she should know that he was not a problem.

tony.jpg

#40 2007-06-25 15:06:07

Steveb

True, but it would have looked suspicious if Jack found out she was talking to Tony openly about everything when he was probably the prime suspect at the time. Her mission was to stay close to Jack to feed the Drazen's intel and therefore she needed to do everything she could to keep him on side.

#41 2007-06-25 17:30:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, so far so true...

tony.jpg

#42 2007-06-25 18:30:17

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

"And this is what you did?"
"You have no idea what kind of pressure I'm under."
"Oye, eres una verguenza."

He said something in Spanish? What does that mean? (I'm determined not to miss anything this time)

jack_addict wrote:

some wonderful moments with jack too. like when he's talking to teri and kim and hiding from the cops and tony, nina and milo are all listening in. great camera work there, too. the whole feel to the scene makes you feel like you're eavesdropping and you shouldn't be there. nina's and tony's reactions to what they hear add to that. some really good stuff.

That is one of my all-time favourite scenes. It's just so poignant as it really takes Jack to say something so moving while hiding under a car, knowing that his ex-lover and her current lover are listening in.  And at no point does he let on what danger he's in. Teri also keeps her problems to herself:

They didn't hurt you did they?
I'm fine.

#43 2007-06-25 19:30:36

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah tony said that in spanish. it means "You're a disgrace" meaning, disgrace to her country. I think there were other moments too where tony might have said something in spanish but this was the first one smile

I just watched up to ep 12 and we get the first time Tony is in holding - and we all know it's not the last time ... but here, tony gets the first glimpse of what it's like to be in the hot seat, being squeezed. one way or another, he always ends up there.

one true word by alberta green: "We both know why nina is covering for jack. but I think the only reason you're covering for him is to cover for nina."

and then a moment I really loved, even though it was between tony and nina (which is in itself quite difficult to watch, knowing what's gonna happen).

"Alberta worked me pretty hard in there..."
"I know."
"I gotta tell ya... If Jack hadn't called when he did...." [gives her the look of, I would have ratted him out]

poor guy. it really makes you feel for him.

jack reuniting with teri in ep 12 was pretty moving, the whole rescue act was very well done. definitely some of the best action moments on the show.

tony.jpg

#44 2007-06-27 14:02:43

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

jack reuniting with teri in ep 12 was pretty moving, the whole rescue act was very well done. definitely some of the best action moments on the show.

Absolutely. And the music for the sequence where they break out is superb. Jack and Teri don't get much screen time together and I savour it because I know Jack will look back and think "That was the last time..."

Another great moment, simply because Kiefer plays it so well is his reaction to seeing Palmer in the conference room. He has that look of 'stomach slipping down a notch' and then he swallows with that sort of half-guilty half-afraid expression that you just know he wore when the headmaster caught him climbing on the school roof. It's only a moment, but so brilliant because we know so far he's not been intimidated by anyone, not his superiors, nor his opponents.

Now for a totally random point of interest, for Teri to have a positive pregnancy test, Jack must have moved in (so to speak) at least 2 weeks earlier. And fair do's to them, coz older folk tend not to get pregnant quite so easily as younger. Poor Jack, I hope one day Kim gives him a grandchild.

#45 2007-06-27 15:11:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

hey you're going ahead of schedule tongue or aren't you. lol. I need to watch beyond ep 12, I think you're actually IN schedule wink

yeah you're right about teri, I thought that same thing, too. but i suppose it added to the drama. as for kim... even if she did, I'm not sure how much she'd want jack around...

tony.jpg

#46 2007-06-28 07:23:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

alright, listen up guys. it seems like a lot of us are rewatching this at a different pace and that means that someone who is a bit behind wants to keep their thoughts "clean" on what they haven't watched won't feel tempted to join in the discussion. therefore, I've gotten the assignment to split up this discussion.

so from now on, we'll have threads for 6 episodes each, thus 4 threads per season.

now, this doesn't mean that as soon as the next thread is open, the discussion in this one has to cease, not at all! the idea is to be able to keep the discussion going as long as necessary. just giving you guys a heads up and I'll open up that new thread now.

recap: this thread: eps 1-12
next threads: eps 13-18 and eps 19-24

tony.jpg

Board footer