You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-10 12:23:36

J_A
Administrator
Website

7x13 discussion

sad sad sad

R.I.P. Bill! We'll miss ya!

Even though my logic and knowledge of the 24 formula had been telling me since the last ep that we'd lose Bill, so I was prepared, it didn't make watching him die any easier... It happened so fast... I guess at least you can say it was his choice and at least he died quickly. And for a cause. Oh that ominous ep 13... First in s5, now in s7.

But thinking logically (and putting aside the fact that Jack is immortal), when Jack started telling Bill about the plan he saw as a possible strategy, and Bill understood it was a suicide mission, did Jack really think that Bill would let him do that? So... From there on at the latest, it was more than clear that Bill would take Jack's place. Even more so as Bill gave Jack the information about Juma having a contact on the outside. It was his last action before his final act... Surely Bill wouldn't have needed to tell that to a man about to die. Bill was a great character, he was given some purpose in this season, and it cannot be said he'd only been brought back just to kill him - he's been in the season, on and off, for about half of it. I'm glad he had a meaningful death, and I'm glad Jack had been given some time to mourn his friend, but even here, it's a different Jack. While he would have cried a few years ago, now he's unable to cry. You could see that he wants to, but he can't. He's dry inside, he's done all the crying that he'll ever do - aside from, maybe if Kim ever gets killed.  And once again this scene shows how different Jack is from the Jack we used to know. On top of that, when Renée, full of respect and admiration for Bill's action, reminds Jack that Buchanan died protecting his country, in Jack's simple "Yeah", there's the undertone of his dissipating belief in the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the country. Not that he wouldn't have sacrificed himself in this scenario, but that might have been for other reasons. He is just tired of it all, tired of life, tired of chasing terrorists, tired of people asking him to justify what he believes is right, and once again, that "easy way out" that George Mason had mentioned such a long time ago somehow manages to move past Bauer. No, it ain't his time yet. Once again, brilliant, truly brilliant acting by Kiefer.

So... I'm sad about losing Buchanan, but I will not bitch, moan and complain. He even got the silent clock right there around minute 12, even though it wasn't the end of the ep. So all's good, I guess. A sad event, but well executed and well played. Rest in peace, Buchanan. Go join Michelle and David and have a beer on us.

Moving on, I have to say I was hoping that Jack would be stuck in the White House for a while still and we'd get Tony to have a purpose again, going after Hodges for example. Instead, we got another No Tony ep, which really leads me to think Tony won't become relevant for another 3 eps still... Cause of what Carlos has been saying about "the last 6 or 8 eps". Which would majorly suck. They've been pushing Tony's return so much, and then gave him lots of material in the beginning, just to degrade him to his Season 1 role of "occaional informant". Then again, I suppose it might be a good thing, rather keep him out than give him a bad subplot... I dunno. I've just been missing him too much to endure this. At least the season's good nevertheless.

Sticking with the formula of the show, we lost Juma, the main villain for the first half of the season, in this episode, leaving us with the second main villain for the rest of the season - Hodges. Although it does fit the format, I kinda wished we'd have had Juma for another ep or so, cause he was just so creepy he made my skin crawl. We hadn't had such a creepy guy in a long time. But Hodges is definitely a worthy villain... I love it how whereas he's obviously ready to take out a large number of lives for reasons so far unknown, he keeps his humor and manages to get in some Instant Classic Quotes quite often. That being said, when it was mentioned in the last episode that the "shipment" he was getting from Juma could be destroyed or rendered useless, it was more than clear that he was expecting some kind of weapons - which has now proved to be true. Which begs the question, what are the weapons? Are we approaching another nuclear or biological threat? Something mounted on missiles? Is Hodges working with the Vice President? I wouldn't be surprised if he were. Cause that VP not only reminded me of Charles Logan in S4 with his hesitation and undecisiveness but he also has the potential to be the traitor kind. I don't think he was keeping the FBI away just cause he didn't want to endanger the president - more likely he wanted to make sure Juma had enough time to kill her.

I'm glad that the bit at the hospital played out differently from the "obscure orderly injects target with poison" storyline we've seen so often. I liked the distraction kill, but when the operative plugged in his device into the computer I thought he'd make it a high-tech op and shut off burnett's machines remotely. Instead he went totally low-tech, which was quite a surprise, but made sense in the context of implicating Jack. Overall, the operation was carried out well, although it took suspending some substantial disbelief that whatever nerve-acting gas Hodges's goon had released into the room in order to paralyse Bauer and Burnett had acted so quickly, that the effects had subsided within seconds, too, allowing him to escape before the FBI stormed the room.

I've counted.

At 39:21, the capsule with the nerve gass falls into the room. 39:24, Jack's gasping for breath. 39:29, so is Burnett. Now, this is not a very small room and it probably has ventillation, but okay... At 40:35 the goon has left. By 40:37 Jack's breathing again, and at 40:55 he's leaving the room... That's about 90 seconds from first contact with the substance to Jack's being able to lift himself up into the ventillation shaft and without being dizzy, paralyzed or otherwise impared, leave the scene of the crime... Yeah, I know. Jack rocks... Realism ain't all that important. (On the other hand, the "couple of minutes" that the doc had promised the FBI had taken substantially longer... At least 5 minutes. Well, anything to serve the story, right? wink )

As for the FBI, I must admit that I'm now starting to heed angry feelings towards Larry. Sure, the guy's always been a bureaucrat, though one who's proved to also be able to call the shots in the field, and the only way he'd ever let Jack do his thing was because of Renée, but the writers are starting to turn him into something else now, skillfully using his dislike of Jack Bauer and his methods into an open war against Jack, Renée, and even Ethan. Instead of a reluctant player in the game, Larry is now completely on the opposite side of the spectrum. To be honest, Renée had to get suspended in order to show that circumventing authority and not playing by the book are actions that have consequences in the real world. Not everyone is Jack The Bullet Proof Bauer. But Larry should have brought the intel Jack gave him to the President right then and there, and not "look into it" whenever convenient... We all know in our hearts that Renée did the right thing, but as for Larry, his Book of Rules and Prejudice is clouding his judgement and I'm disappointed at how easily he let that happen. You don't have to be a fan of Bauer's methods to realize that the quickest way to get more information WAS through what Jack had suggested. You also don't have to be a genius to understand that Jack had no reason in hell to kill Burnett at the hospital. The guy WAS broken and ready to talk the moment he saw Jack - but Jack slits his throat nevertheless? Think, Larry, dammit!

That being said, I loved the Death Stare Jack got to give Larry from that chopper! This ain't over yet wink. Now that both Renée and Jack are free from the FBI, the only logical consequence would be for them to team up, and hopefully team up with Tony... Yeah, a Tony fan never stops hoping...

One last bit - Olivia Taylor... What's up with that gal? We finally learned some of the backstory of her disputes with her mother, and although the ep featured quite touching scenes between her and her mother along the 'putting the past behind us' idea, the ep does not end on a "happy-go-lucky" note. As soon as it seems like everything's okay again, a new line of conflict arises, and she promises to bring down the traitors in the administration... And directly threatens Ethan. The return of Sherry?

This has been typical of the show so far, really. It never allows you to rest. Even though it's dealt with so many short stories within the large scope of the story by now, it just keeps going, it gives you another and another and another, keeps you guessing, keeps you on the edge of your seat, keeps you wondering what's next - or if you're right with your predictions. The pacing is still good, the makers have taken care to take the necessary time to show the story as they should. Nothing has felt rushed. I may not be the expert on camera work and directing and such, but I am enjoying the way it's done this season. Not to mention the cast. The only one I'm having a problem accepting is Rory Cochrane (Tim Speedle from CSI Miami), because he's just really Tim Speedle to me and his acting also really reminds me of Tim Speedle... I can't disassociate the two... But when you think about how many actors are fans of the show and want(ed) to be on it, I guess it should make us proud to be among them smile. So I'll see Cochrane as just that. One of us who got lucky enough to get a part on 24. Speaking of casting - it's amazing how the show makes sure that even the small parts are cast well. Agent Reynolds, for example. We probably won't see him after this ep, but you can't tell he's a "side" character - everyone is good on this show. So, all we need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Rating: I might change my mind after I rewatch the ep, but right now, probably 8.5.

One last thought... We know that Tony will have a little bit of a love interest... I'm kinda starting to feel it might be Olivia...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2009-03-21 00:07:23

Rexy

Re: 7x13 discussion

Nooooo! Bill, oh no! I feel sooo stupid. It was obvious after the fact (ahhh, hindsight) that the whole scene when Jack was being held in the White House and asked Bill to do a teeny bit of torture and he refused that it was his "moment of weakness" before he died, but I liked Bill so much I didn't realise it. I just thought it was a "moment of character". I must say, and I know you Tony fans are going to hate me for it, that this was worse than when Tony died, because to me Tony (whilst awesome) didn't play a major role in that season and was killed as an (albeit tragic) exercise, whereas Bill was the main man, and they have bumped him off!

I like Jack Addict's view on the VP, I hadn't thought of that. Also, I really thought Jack was going to have a little cry looking at Bill's body, but he just couldn't. I think he has had a little cry in every season so far, so I guess we have to wait a little longer for this seasons weep. I think I know when it might be, but am not totally confident about spoiler rules and would hate to ruin anyone's surprise.

Finally, I have been a big supporter of the new president even since Redemption, I really liked her and thought she had conviction and courage, but come on lady, what does Jack have to do for you NOT to arrest him? You're really beginning to annoy me the last few episodes. Yes, a terrorist has the offer of immunity and Jack is under arrest, no that is not right, yes, you are the President, FIX IT! But oh no, you let him think up a plan to end the seige you are in, AND THEN ARREST HIM?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What a fantastic season. I want more!

#3 2009-03-21 15:38:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Some brief thoughts, I really liked this episode, much more than episodes 11 & 12 oddly enough, I thought it dealt with the immensity of the situation so much better than the previous episodes did.

My only complaints was the rather cliched "what we've just seen through" stuff between the President and her daughter. Part from that everything was spot on I think, it seemed to flash by so fast.

You've complained about Larry J_A, but I don't really understand this, I'm loving the "flawed bureaucrat" that is Larry, the first real 3-D bureaucrat we've had on 24 for a long while.

Overall I'm more excited by the situation this episode sets up. A situation I do feel will see Jack and Tony relying on each more than ever.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#4 2009-03-21 18:03:40

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah about larry, he IS a 3D bureaucrat, you've put it nicely. and frankly, my complaints have subsided a little since I wrote this.

too tired to comment more now. just got back from 4.5 hours krav maga training and it continues tomorrow 9AM with another 3.5 hours....

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer