24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 22:09:46

24nut
Website

7x10 Discussion / 5:00pm - 6:00pm

Wow, what an episode! Just finished watching it and have watched the last scene with Tony and Jack about 5 times, amazing stuff. this episode had it all, action, great dialogue, character development and emotion.

I thought the pursuit scene was really well shot. I cant believe that we are 10 episodes in now and there is no sign of a mid season slump yet. The change of villain and storyline was brilliantly done, it didn't feel forced and felt well paced, i wasn't sick of Dubaku but now im really looking forward to the coming episodes.

The scene where jack is sitting on the steps was very well done, the lighting at dusk was really cool, it slowed the pace down a notch so that we as viewers were ready for the next part of the puzzle. The way Tony just walked up with his Aviators was so cool, i know a lot of people could say that maybe Tony is leading Jack on, but i think now it is fairly obvious that he isn't after all he shot Emmerson even though he was like a brother and he looked very sincere when he told Jack that the threat is very real. It was a brilliant scene, one of the best so far, the interaction between Kiefer and Carlos is better than ever i dare to say. Wow, this season really isn't letting up, if they keep up at this rate it might just top most of the other season for me.

The lucky people stateside get episodes 11 and 12 tonight, lucky lucky people. The preview for those episodes look so good.

What did everyone else think of the episode?

Last edited by 24nut (2009-03-02 22:18:01)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2009-03-04 21:12:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: 7x10 Discussion / 5:00pm - 6:00pm

I've just seen it, great stuff, truly terrific - I really don't know where to start.

So maybe i'll start with the few weaknesses, the "computer chip in dying guys chest" is a little lazy given the beat for beat copy of a scene from season 2. Again the "mole has been found out and has to get out now!" is again something we've seen before. Also, hmm, thats it! - perhaps laying it on a bit thick with Renee's emotional angiush - possibly - but apart from that I would not have changed a thing.

Obviously there are more episodes to come than we've seen, but Season 7 is very quickly climbing the favourite season, for me it's already past 3, 4 & 6 and 2 & 5 are looking behind them nervously, and if they manage to go the whole season keeping up this sort of quality and without any kind of slump (apart from a slow-ish - or slightly less brilliant episode) then 1 might be at risk of losing the top spot.

I really want to list everything i liked about this episode but it would take too damn long. I suppose I should just mention 1) the writing, it's suddenly grown up, characters have the conviction of what they are saying "what we did was right" (Jack) even if none of the other characters are. Previously only "naive" characters thought Jack's methods where wrong, now a strong female character who wants the same things as Jack but isn't sure if the methods are worth it - if any ends are worth the means. And the show is letting the viewer make up our own minds. 2) The performances are absolutely spot on - in this episode particularly, Dubaku, when he was pleading with his girlfriend to reconsider, I actually forgot he was a terrorist/murderer/etc.. all I saw was a man pleading with someone he loves. Same with Sean, I some how don't want him to come to a grueseome end even though he is a treasonous adulterer lying scumbag.

Oh, also one final criticism actually, Chloe been inside the FBI for two hours and her and Janis haven't said a word to each other!, Man there making us wait for that - it better we worth it when it comes - sparks ought to fly.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2009-03-04 23:24:15

24nut
Website

What did you think of the scene with Jack and Tony dan, i thought it was brilliant, it was almost as if that was actually the quiet before the storm. That probably i my favourite scene so far, i just love how Tony just sits in the background with it focused on Jack, i really dont know why, i think it may be because they have gotten back to that personal level of story that season 1 had in abundance. I love the part where Tony gets up, places his hand on Jack and says that he needs him, really awesome stuff.

I agree so far this has allready beaten the episodes from seasons 3, 4 and 6.

Last edited by 24nut (2009-03-04 23:24:56)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2009-03-05 00:08:20

J_A
Administrator
Website

it was an awesome come back for tony, worthy of him and the story smile. Didn't you think it was a simple but effective reversal of the season 4 storyline where jack asks tony to follow through with him, to stay in it till the end while tony wants this whole counter-terrorist business just out of his life - and today it's jack, sitting there on those steps, just taking the sunset in, probably almost can't believe they've stopped the attacks, and tony asks him to stay in on it with him, help him till everything's done. tony's like, "I'm going to do this jack, with or without you. but i'd rather do it with you." while jack actually wants this whole chasing terrorists thing just over and done with.

I also loved the part where tony says "it wasn't easy getting the information outta him." and jack just glances at him knowingly. I don't necessarily think we'll ever really find out just what tony did to the guy (though ep 11 implicates a certain thing), but I definitely think he's closer to Jack in the interrogation department than he's ever been. he's not only just dark, I think some parts of Tony are pitch black this season. I'm totally enjoying everything about it, and everything about tony, I just wish his role after the "Focus of attention" part from the first few eps, hadn't shifted to "Informant" (which could in itself be seen as a S1 situation, cause delivering information was mostly what Tony was doing in S1). Hopefully he'll be there for us very soon smile

My further thoughts on this ep can be found in the Episode Post Mortem below, including a list of things we've seen in this ep that have been resurrected from earlier seasons and speculations (honest, at the time of writing) about where we might go from here.

http://www.almeidaisgod.com/2009/02/quick-thoughts-on-7x10/

I did list stuff, as I usually do. lol.

Let me reassure you guys, there IS NO mid-season slump. I've seen 11 and 12 and they're absolutely truly brilliant. especially 12 is possibly one of the best eps this season. And yes, in my book, too, s7 is rising up and up and up and there is no indication of it being unstable on its feet or flying too close to the flame. Carlos has promised us in numerous interviews that the writers HAVE been careful, that the mid season slump does not exist this time, and they made EVERY episode strong. and boy, he wasn't kidding.

I think it's interesting that you mention it surpassing even season 1, dan, frankly, I think it just might do that in my book, eventually. While the writers have gone back to the roots (and to season 1 in many ways), they've done it with 6 years of experience under their belts, and it shows. the writing is brilliant and as you said, mature. the characters are real, the storyline is real, I have a couple of beefs with this ep, but nothing that I cannot overlook - because the rest of it is so damn strong. but if you've loved 10 - just wait till you've seen 11 and 12. this gets better and better every time smile

on the "mole has been found" thing - I think Kas put it best at some point when she discussed the moles during the previous seasons. each time we've had a different type of mole, so while moles are always a convenient plot device, the writers are at least doing something different with each one. this time it's sean using erika as his cover and lover and while I did see teri bleeding in front of my eyes as he shot erika in the stomach, i'm actually quite pleased at how cool and coldblooded a mole sean turned out to be. surely he's the best mole since nina, isn't he? I hope we see him somewhere down the line again, he might be useful... who knows.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer