international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-04-30 23:19:50

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Manny Coto Reveals Prequel Plot *General Spoilers*

jack_addict wrote:

heh, yeah, i guess there's not really another choice, is there. i'm still curious to a point, seeing as they've had two years to get this done (minus writers strike) and so they might actually get it right.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a very tough needle to thread and that they will completely knock it out of the park or stumble badly and it will be the end. I'm thinking everyone involved knows they shouldn't have gone for a s7 and simply gone for a movie for the freedom that allows. 

btw, i kinda missed this simultaneous posting smile. it's nice.

Yeah, I know what you mean, although it can get a little confusing.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#27 2008-04-30 23:23:18

24nut
Website

It will be very hit or miss with season 7, i agree dan.

yeah, haven't been posting like this for a while its good, this is the only decent forum around, i realy despise the 24 spoiler forum, there are some really imature people there that think the higher your post count the better fan you are, if there is such a thing. Hopefully we can get some discussion going like this every so often.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#28 2008-04-30 23:26:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

heh, yeah, i guess there's not really another choice, is there. i'm still curious to a point, seeing as they've had two years to get this done (minus writers strike) and so they might actually get it right.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a very tough needle to thread and that they will completely knock it out of the park or stumble badly and it will be the end. I'm thinking everyone involved knows they shouldn't have gone for a s7 and simply gone for a movie for the freedom that allows.

yeah, totally agreed. i just keep trying to convince myself that they won't be that stupid. but admittedly, chances are that they will. they've made bad calls before. I mean, from the carlos interview in the 24 mag, he was saying something to the extent of, they know what fans want and they are listening.

the question is, Which Fans?

the new ones? those who are into explosions, blood and more of the same?

or the core of us, those who have been there since day 1 and have watched the series fall from the best thing since sliced bread to a case of, oh, 24's on?
at least in my case.

this is the first season (6) that i'm not watching on TV, i.e. i haven't spent a single minute watching it on TV. I've seen it once, on DVD (courtesy of US friend) and i feel no need to watch it again, even though it is currently airing here.

I did watch s5 up to that ep on TV once it started airing, even though I'd already seen the whole season on dvd before.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#29 2008-04-30 23:36:10

24nut
Website

thats an interesting point you have there j_a about there being two types of fans, new and old, i dont want to sound elitist or anything and its not meant that way, but those of us that have watched it since the beggining are very different, a lot of other 24 forums have fans that got into it during season 4 and 5 and as you said want explosions and practically no storyline or character development.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#30 2008-04-30 23:40:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

thats an interesting point you have there j_a about there being two types of fans, new and old, i dont want to sound elitist or anything and its not meant that way, but those of us that have watched it since the beggining are very different, a lot of other 24 forums have fans that got into it during season 4 and 5 and as you said want explosions and practically no storyline or character development.

which makes it hard to please everyone. now if it were about loyalty, you'd think they'd try to please the "old" fans. if it were about ratings, which of course it is, then it's shock effect again, and I'm already seeing tony dying again, cause it would make sense - as a baddie.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#31 2008-04-30 23:41:00

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

from the carlos interview in the 24 mag, he was saying something to the extent of, they know what fans want and they are listening.

the question is, Which Fans?

the new ones? those who are into explosions, blood and more of the same?.

Yeah, I got very disturbed when in an episode commentary Jon Cassar (exec, director) stated about the shows 'core audience' that "they've got a short attention span, so we've got to keep the action moving, keep the long speeches to a minimum" (or something very similar to that)

To be truthful, if I could have my way, i'd scrap the seventh season, write a prequel (to s1) movie (or double episode) (or straight to DVD movie) which wasn't necessarily real time, and which was basically a "origins" tale, on how do the key players in s1 get to where they start s1?

#32 2008-04-30 23:43:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah well, as much as we'd all like to see Operation Nightfall (dan, where's the fanfic? tongue), it's not gonna happen, as we all know... can't make anyone younger - well, especially not kiefer. not with his consumption of alcohol and cigarettes...

but yeah, s7 should never have happened, i agree. i still stick to the opinion the thing should have ended a couple years back.

but i had another thought about this tony being bad thing. i checked the current cast (with character names and functions, where available), and it does say that (spoiler follows)

the guy working with tony in the prequel, is an ex FBI guy.

so... unless he's a crooked ex FBI guy, like tony is supposed to be a crooked ex CTU guy, i can also see a potential there for tony not actually being evil, which is supported by the fact that that guy's face was grouped under "FBI" faces and not under "Shadowy characters".

thoughts?

tony.jpg

#33 2008-04-30 23:44:36

24nut
Website

hardy24 wrote:

To be truthful, if I could have my way, i'd scrap the seventh season, write a prequel (to s1) movie (or double episode) (or straight to DVD movie) which wasn't necessarily real time, and which was basically a "origins" tale, on how do the key players in s1 get to where they start s1?

Now that is an amazing idea, the possibilities would be endless, how Jack became head of CTU, how Tony started working there, Milo being the computer nerd that we loved back in Season 1, as apposed to the bad job they did with him in season 6, Henderson could appear, but as a good guy. Richard Walsh could also reappear, George Mason. I think it would be brilliant big_smile

edit: j_a, you say about 24 ending earlier, for me it would have been after season 3, Jacks emotional breakdown, then he just drives off, for me one of my favourite scenes. To me it sums up whats happened in Season 4-6 without having to write them. It shows that Jack will just keep going, thats what he does, and that one scene alone for me could replace season 4-6.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 23:46:48)

#34 2008-04-30 23:46:06

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

Now that is an amazing idea, the possibilities would be endless, how Jack became head of CTU, how Tony started working there, Milo being the computer nerd that we loved back in Season 1, as apposed to the bad job they did with him in season 6, Henderson could appear, but as a good guy. Richard Walsh could also reappear, George Mason. I think it would be brilliant big_smile

except that angle has been extensively milked in the 24 declassified novels. so unless they wanted to make one of those into a film (cerasini's would be good), i don't see that happening.

what does everyone think about what i posted above about tony and the fbi guy?

tony.jpg

#35 2008-04-30 23:48:09

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

but i had another thought about this tony being bad thing. i checked the current cast (with character names and functions, where available), and it does say that (spoiler follows)

the guy working with tony in the prequel, is an ex FBI guy.

so... unless he's a crooked ex FBI guy, like tony is supposed to be a crooked ex CTU guy, i can also see a potential there for tony not actually being evil, which is supported by the fact that that guy's face was grouped under "FBI" faces and not under "Shadowy characters".
thoughts?

**possible spoiler**

if you look at the trailer, I think it looks like Tony, Chloe and Bill appear to be in very similar surroudings, so maybe there working together?

#36 2008-04-30 23:49:09

24nut
Website

jack_addict wrote:

what does everyone think about what i posted above about tony and the fbi guy?

So what your saying is that Tony may be undercover in the sense that he knows the ex FBI guy is crooked and is not really bad. I would think that is plausable and i think the cast image has a subtle hint that Tony is with the good guys.

#37 2008-04-30 23:53:56

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah i hope - i HOPE there's a genuine chance of him not being bad

i also noticed what dan is saying about tony, bill and chloe, they all seem to be communicating the same way that FBI guy does.

and whether that FBI guy is crooked, i'm not so sure, for all i know they could both (tony and the guy) be undercover, or not undercover but simply doing something for someone that jack doesn't know about and the FBI for some reason needs to get their hands on whatever... i know, i sound confusing and confused, but it is 2 a.m... i should go soon.

to sum up, it's conceivable that tony's a good guy. with the cast pic, too. and with the intensity they're insisting on him being bad, i'm more and more starting to feel like he really isn't. and that's my reason for still feeling like i might be able to watch it. unless he dies covering jack's back. i mean, it's time that jack went... and tony took over big_smile. my 2 cents. again

possibly, they're looking for tony for some other reason and know that if anyone can find him, it's jack bauer. so they bring him in.

tony.jpg

#38 2008-04-30 23:56:37

24nut
Website

edit: could be a bit spoilerific tongue I think the proving Tony is good should be saved for another day and in the spoilers thread. haha.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-05-01 00:02:45)

#39 2008-04-30 23:59:48

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

edit: j_a, you say about 24 ending earlier, for me it would have been after season 3, Jacks emotional breakdown, then he just drives off, for me one of my favourite scenes. To me it sums up whats happened in Season 4-6 without having to write them. It shows that Jack will just keep going, thats what he does, and that one scene alone for me could replace season 4-6.

you know, you're actually right. i never thought of it that way. but you're right. it sums them up without them having to be written. now if only FOX weren't money-hungry B's. but then again, you know, more tony time for me, and more jack time for others. but still, you're right. that scene sums up three seasons of 24. lol!

tony.jpg

#40 2008-05-01 00:02:01

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

There are certain videos that may suggest Tony working with Jack, but i'll post them in the spoiiler cection if your interested.

go for it. I've seen some vid's from the set earlier, but post what you have, maybe it's additional stuff i haven't seen smile

tony.jpg

#41 2008-05-01 00:07:09

24nut
Website

well i have posted in the spoilers section so that no one comes across it when they read over this topic. I cant find the video at the moment but i've described what it was, im trying to hunt it down again.

#42 2008-05-01 00:10:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

yup i replied big_smile. i'm a fast one tonight! will edit my above post to exclude the reference to the video

tony.jpg

#43 2008-05-13 20:54:00

Dyslexicon
Website

So, I know it's an old, dead topic, but I thought I'd weigh in.

Seasons 4-6 didn't really need to happen, but we got some good fun out of 4 and 5 at points.
I'm not sure the producers of the show really know what they're doing with it, just the fact that, essentially since season 1, they've been seat-of-their-pants-ing it all the way through (no pre-determined story arc, just making it up as they go along,) tells you a lot.
I'm incredibly dubious about season 7, as season 6 was some of the worst suck that's ever sucked.
The movie should be jolly good fun, but probably won't really do a whole lot character-wise.
Jon Cassar smells like onions. wink

I aim to misbehave.

#44 2008-05-13 20:57:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

Dyslexicon wrote:

Seasons 4-6 didn't really need to happen, but we got some good fun out of 4 and 5 at points.
I'm not sure the producers of the show really know what they're doing with it, just the fact that, essentially since season 1, they've been seat-of-their-pants-ing it all the way through (no pre-determined story arc, just making it up as they go along,) tells you a lot.
I'm incredibly dubious about season 7, as season 6 was some of the worst suck that's ever sucked.
The movie should be jolly good fun, but probably won't really do a whole lot character-wise.

lol:lol::lol:

I really have nothing else to add to this! truer words never spoken - though I can't judge the onion statement wink big_smile

tony.jpg

#45 2008-05-13 21:22:39

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Dyslexicon wrote:

They had the first 8 episodes of season 1 pre-planned, but yeah, thats the most forward planning they've ever had.

I dunno, I think season 4 at times won that crown.

Uh, could I actually have an opening here to have a sensible discussion about the direction on 24?, which for me went down hill after Stephen Hopkins left at the end of season 1.

#46 2008-05-14 19:08:18

24nut
Website

For me 24 went downhill after Season 3, as i said above and j_a agreed with me, the final scene of Season 3 sums up the character development for Jack that we have seen over seasons 4-6, being that nothing much has happened really.

I definatly agree there dan, Hopkins departure really did hurt the show from a creative point of view.

#47 2008-05-16 12:40:27

hardy24
Administrator
Website

More news of the prequel, which i've posted on the front page, but which is worth a mention.

- It will air in the U.S. on November 23rd.
- Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, The Full Monty, The World Is Not Enough & 28 Weeks Later) has been cast in the prequel in an unspecified role
- Some location shooting did indeed take place in South Africa.

Board footer