24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-03-17 15:26:17

Steveb

Re: Lost - Season Four

Just finished watching episode 7. Very interesting to say the least, if nothing else than for the combination of flashbacks and flashforwards in a single episode. Also the revelation of the man on the boat was very cleverly done, even if it's been glaringly obvious for weeks who said man was going to be.

The trailers for next week look superb- although my one slight caveat with the show at the moment is that they seem to cut all of the survivors other than those whose names are on the credits, which is slightly weird.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#27 2008-03-17 17:07:36

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I was a little put off by the half flashbacks and half flashforwards, it was a little bit as if they expected a bigger reaction "oh wow thats really clever, you hoodwinked us again, well done you" that it was truly worth. Also a really non dramatic way of killing a character off, pretty poor.

Overall I thought the episode could have been constructed better, although the information was important overall.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#28 2008-03-18 08:57:28

deadmanmoz

A good episode.
I thought the flash forward/flash back was clever and did hoodwink people quite well.
I think people are beginning to expect too much from lost because they have done so well in the past, this was something different, this was done well and this would have confused but then made sense to people.

Surprise Surprise though, Kate is a chuffing &*%$ AGAIN!!!! man i hate her.

The Michael thing was okay, although one thing i think they have done terrible, and 24 did it too, is having the actors name at the beginning of every episode of this season so you knew he was coming back, imagine if nobody knew he was coming back and then it was revealed! That would have been crazy!

As for Jin, who knows what happened to him, but the point of the flashforwards is that we now how they are now and we know how they are in the future but what happens in between??
The date of death on his gravestone was the date the plane crashed...................so.................if that's the case he either died on the island or is still on the island, in which case we only know 5 of the Oceanic 6?!

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#29 2008-03-18 11:47:29

Steveb

I assumed that Aaron was meant to be one of the Oceanic 6. Technically he was on the plane, although if that is the case the question of what happens to Claire becomes all the more important.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#30 2008-03-18 17:19:58

hardy24
Administrator
Website

deadmanmoz wrote:

A good episode.
I thought the flash forward/flash back was clever and did hoodwink people quite well.
I think people are beginning to expect too much from lost because they have done so well in the past

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to be genuis every week, indeed sometimes I think they over reach, because the producers expect the viewers to expect some brilliant conceit every week.

Surprise Surprise though, Kate is a chuffing &*%$ AGAIN!!!! man i hate her.

Think you being really harsh on her, I didn't even notice her this week, Juliet was more annoying that Kate was this week, I think you need to take a step back and chill.

The Michael thing was okay, although one thing i think they have done terrible, and 24 did it too, is having the actors name at the beginning of every episode of this season so you knew he was coming back, imagine if nobody knew he was coming back and then it was revealed! That would have been crazy!

They really didn't make any effort, he made a Lost Comic panel for S4!, so they really didn't think they could keep it a secret, so they just didn't bother!

As for Jin, who knows what happened to him, but the point of the flashforwards is that we now how they are now and we know how they are in the future but what happens in between??
The date of death on his gravestone was the date the plane crashed...................so.................if that's the case he either died on the island or is still on the island, in which case we only know 5 of the Oceanic 6?!

I didn't notice the date, should have clocked that, I guess it's to do with the large coverstory about the island.

#31 2008-03-23 00:20:33

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen episode 8, the mid season finale. Michaels episode. Very interesting, although I couldn't help but feel as if it was simply restating things many of the audience had assumed or pieced together more clearly. I really would have preferred a more detailed episode on Micheal and Walt's relationship and how it seems to have deterioated after getting off the island.

Having said all that, what they did do and did give us was put together very well, a very dark intense episode.

Alex and Co being attacked felt a little rushed/shifted around a little, re-written to give the episode a cliffhanger I don't think it really needed.

#32 2008-03-23 17:50:29

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

Just seen episode 8, the mid season finale. Michaels episode. Very interesting, although I couldn't help but feel as if it was simply restating things many of the audience had assumed or pieced together more clearly. I really would have preferred a more detailed episode on Micheal and Walt's relationship and how it seems to have deterioated after getting off the island.

Having said all that, what they did do and did give us was put together very well, a very dark intense episode.

Alex and Co being attacked felt a little rushed/shifted around a little, re-written to give the episode a cliffhanger I don't think it really needed.

I have to disagree with you there, I believe that they told us what we needed to know about Michael and Walts relationship... for now. They clearly focused solely on the reason why Michael is on the freighter and I believe that that is what most of the fans wanted to know first and foremost.

As for the character deaths at the end of the episode I believe that they were needed to bring back what would have been (if it was not for the WGA writers strike ending) a very poor season.

Bring on part 2 of the season... after watching the promo for the next episode it really looks as though there is a far darker tone about to take over the island... it should be very interesting.

#33 2008-03-26 12:30:13

Steveb

PPF You really think it's been a poor season so far? Personally I think these are some of the strongest episodes they've ever done. That said, I do feel this was probably the weakest of the bunch.

As Dan said, it didn't really tell me anything I wasn't already aware of. I wanted to see what happened when Michael got back to the mainland. Presumably it must have been very cloak and dagger in order for him to remain under the radar and yet this wasn't really dealt with. Not necessarily important, I appreciate, but I think it would have been a good way of being able to see the Michael/ Walt storyline developed.

The return of Tom was great as I think he's always been a brilliant character, however, the gay over-indulging thing, felt incredibly unnecessary as if someone somewhere has turned round to the production team and gone: "There isn't a gay character on this show, could you possibly add one in? That'd be great, thanks!" It smelled very strongly of box-ticking. That said, the rest of his involvement in the story, particularly Michael not being able to kill himself and Tom's understanding of that was great.

The group on the boat continue to perplex. I wonder whether there's some suggestion of a romantic plot between michael and naomi being offered, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Sayid's reaction was interesting and I wonder if this was a lead in to him working for Ben in the future?

As for the ending, you're right Dan it did feel incredibly forced. Karl was a dull one-dimensional character anyway so it really doesn't bother me that they killed him, but I'd be incredibly annoyed if they've killed Rousseau as there's so much more depth to her character that hasn't been explored yet. Time will tell I guess.

#34 2008-03-26 14:57:24

Past Present Fortune

I understand where you are coming from Steveb especially about making Tom gay... there was seriously no need for that and I believe that your explanation about why he is gay is 100% correct but I still firmly believe that episode 8 was a decent mid-season finale.

#35 2008-03-26 18:12:57

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Good point about Tom being gay Steve, although it perhaps was not the worst thing about the episode.

I would be quite annoyed if Rousseau is indeed dead, I've been expecting a flashback episode for her sometime in the near future to flesh out her history and to see the history of the island from another point of view.

Also, I think they've made a massive mistake by not having Walt in the show properly for a long time, since he seemed to be very important to the Island and the others at the start, why did the Others simply let Walt leave when they went to such lengths to capture him in the first place.

#36 2008-03-26 20:13:21

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

Good point about Tom being gay Steve, although it perhaps was not the worst thing about the episode.

I would be quite annoyed if Rousseau is indeed dead, I've been expecting a flashback episode for her sometime in the near future to flesh out her history and to see the history of the island from another point of view.

Also, I think they've made a massive mistake by not having Walt in the show properly for a long time, since he seemed to be very important to the Island and the others at the start, why did the Others simply let Walt leave when they went to such lengths to capture him in the first place.

I agree with you fully about Rousseau, as I would also have loved to see the history of the island from another point of view.

#37 2008-04-25 16:23:27

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, so just seen episode 4x09, very good, very well put together, lots of intrigue, but more and more it seems as if the story is devolving into a big game being played between two egomaniacs. I really hope there is more to it than that, because thats just Alias (another JJ Abrams show) all over again.

#38 2008-05-02 19:40:45

Steveb

Watched 4x10 this morning, and have to say it was incredibly dull. Nothing happened- granted not unusual for Lost- and it also seemed as if there was no intention for anything to really take place. The flashforwards have lost there novelty now, Jack's deterioration intrigues me, but I wanted to actually see something concrete rather than another series of enigmatic moments.

I'm also very ticked off that they did actually kill Rousseau, I felt there was far more potential in her character.

The one saving grace was Claire's new story arc. Presumably they're planning on killing her off to tie in with the whole 'kate has Aaron' thing but I'm hoping that we get the revelation that Jack and Claire ar erelated before that happens.

#39 2008-05-02 22:40:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I actually found 4x10 more watchable that 4x09, I like the balance of character versus overall story in it.

I find it fascinating to watch Matthew Fox play the deterioration to a state of mental breakdown that we saw in a scene he presumably filmed a fair while ago in comparative time. (you might be able to shed some light as to if that would be as hard as I imagine or not Steve)

I still find the flashforwards interesting, less of a novelty, sure, but it's when somethings lost it's immediate shock value and there's something beneath the surface that Lost is at it's best I think.

Also very annoyed about Rousseau, hopefully her potential can still be explored in a flashback episode.

It does look as if Claire's days are numbered. Although from Jack line to Kate "your not even related" (to Aaron) was quite loaded, I believe with the undertone "but I am" suggests to me it will be known soon I think, and hopefully it will lead to the massive realisation by all on the island that what connects them is not bad luck or fate but massive issues with there fathers (or father figures).

#40 2008-05-09 21:45:37

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Seen 4x11, very good. Can't say much until I know you've seen it. Although it does ease some of the fears about the show I've been having recently.

#41 2008-05-17 10:32:16

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Seen 4x12, very good, although since it's the first in a three part finale, it's hard to judge till you've seen the other two parts.

#42 2008-05-17 10:37:00

Steveb

I've finally managed to see Cabin Fever, and will probably see this weeks episode this evening. Thought Cabin Fever was a really good episode- the last line was absolutely ridiculous, but very Lost. The stuff on the boat is getting interesting, really nice powerplays going on.

The central storyline was good although very much a slow-burner. The Locke, Ben, Hurley dynamic is surprisingly watchable, in particular the moments with Ben and Hurley sat waiting for Locke. Absolutely priceless.

#43 2008-05-31 22:55:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen the final two parter of the season, very good, very gripping. This is a show which will have everyone guessing to the very end, I just hope that they are able to resolve everything in the end, as more and more elements are introduced, how on earth do you get them all tied up.

#44 2008-06-06 18:10:21

Steveb

I'm currently on tour, so the options to get to my pc are limited, but have managed to see the finale at last. Absolutely fantastic! I have no idea how many of the cast will be returning next year and in what context, and I'm really excited about where they're going to take the show.

The show does seem to be about the island again, which as daft as it sounds, is brilliant. As much as the story has always been character driven, the one major fault of the show is that it tends to get caught up in the backstory and interweaving of the characters at the expense of a decent narrative. However, this season has righted that completely.

#45 2008-06-06 19:34:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I had wondered where you'd been, anyway, .... , yes agree with everything you've said.

Board footer