Administrator
Website

Re: Linux / Unix

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

A mac.

lol. not gonna happen.

Why not?

i was thinking more along the lines of a good partitioning program and a clear protocol that - in combination - would guarantee to 99% that by deleting the linux partition the windows one wouldn't get hurt. i'd hate to have to reinstall everything from scratch, not to mention i wouldn't have the time OR nerve for that.

If your willing to pay for some software to do what you want, "Partition Magic" looks pretty good, http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80

Also, backing up all the really "i'd throw my computer out a window if I deleted that" important data to an external drive, just in case would probably be a good idea.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#27 2008-05-06 20:54:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

A mac.

lol. not gonna happen.

Why not?

cause i wouldn't be caught dead working on a mac wink. brings about some bad memories. i hate macs.

If your willing to pay for some software to do what you want, "Partition Magic" looks pretty good, http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80

true, i think i even have it somewhere. i just don't dare use it cause i'm afraid of screwing things up

hardy24 wrote:

Also, backing up all the really "i'd throw my computer out a window if I deleted that" important data to an external drive, just in case would probably be a good idea.

yeah i should do that (again). i think i've backed up my whole My Documents (or as I call it, "Classified Intel") a couple weeks agoto an external hdd for the last time.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#28 2008-05-06 21:03:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

cause i wouldn't be caught dead working on a mac wink. brings about some bad memories. i hate macs.

Wow, okay, care to share? or should I leave it be?

true, i think i even have it somewhere. i just don't dare use it cause i'm afraid of screwing things up

I'm sure someone capable to partitioning the harddrive in the first place and installing Linux (a process when I've looked into it looks like the computer equivalent of black magic) is more than capable of using a well written piece of software to undo it, unleash the inner Chloe!

yeah i should do that (again). i think i've backed up my whole My Documents (or as I call it, "Classified Intel") a couple weeks agoto an external hdd for the last time.

"Classified Intel?", lol, terrific stuff.

#29 2008-05-06 21:19:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok, in order to save space, i'm not quoting you. i'll just go step by step

1) mac. one of the last jobs i hated and they hated me back. also learned to hate macs there. lol. and they hate me back. i din't like the user interface either. we had OS X but i still couldn't stand it. I just suppose unless i'm absolutely tortured into using it - say, cause on some future job they only use macs - i will never voluntarily use one.

2) inner chloe - heheheh, yeah i wish! wink. sometimes, yes, but i'll admit i've had help partitioning and installing linux. but yeah i suppose with everything backed up - and maybe setting a restore point would also help?? - i could try.

3) thank you, thank you. i've actually renamed everything i could.

My documents = Classified Intel
My computer  = My CTU Workstation
Ms Word  = CTU Text files
MS excel  = CTU Databases
Ms powerpoint = CTU presentations
ms outlook (which I don't use but i had to keep it) = Interagency Comm
networks icon (don't remember its original name)  = Intelligence Networking
mozilla firefox = CTU NetComm
Thunderbird = Interagency memo system
photoshop = CTU imagery
paintshop pro = ctu photo databases
google earth  = CTU SatFrame Analysis

and all those renamed icons are the reason i have them all on my desktop wink big_smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#30 2008-05-06 21:41:03

hardy24
Administrator
Website

1) Ah, you just need to disassociate Macs with that bad experience, I had to do it, my first weeks at uni I felt like I was in some weird science experiment, everything was Macs, and I kept crashing them, even though people said they never crashed. But it's worth getting over that barrier, now I'm on my second mac laptop and giving up my first one was like having a beloved pet taken away, my mums got it now and now she won't touch a PC. Do me a favour just have a look at this - >> http://www.apple.com/macbookair/ and how can "hate" be the first thing that comes into your head?

2) It's worth a try

3) If you've changed the actual icons, I will need an screenshot, lol.

#31 2008-05-07 07:50:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

1) Do me a favour just have a look at this - >> http://www.apple.com/macbookair/ and how can "hate" be the first thing that comes into your head?

aww, dan. it's not ugly, i'm not saying that. but there's just an innate aversion to anything called i-xxx, from i-pod to i-tunes to i-phone to i-mac... i don't like using mac software nor mac's mouse... how can you make a mouse without the 3 buttons anyway?? then there's steve jobbs and then the story with the i-tunes format that binds the songs you download to the i-pod or the i-tunes software, effectively making swaps of files impossible. i just don't want to support that. incidentally - and maybe ironically - there was another daniel - my ex boss - who tried for the whole year while i was doing my masters there to make me cross over to the white side... didn't work wink.
and yes, hate is a strong word, i suppose i just don't like it...

2) It's worth a try

at some point, i probably will. at the latest when i've used up all my space on the win partition...

3) If you've changed the actual icons, I will need an screenshot, lol.

will e-mail you one, complete with a CTU desktop and wallpaper when I get home smile

tony.jpg

#32 2008-05-07 09:17:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

1) I can understand not likely the way the stuff works, but accusing apple of being anti-competitive whilst happily using a microsoft windows PC? the people who wrote the book on anti-competitive practices.

3) Look forward to seeing that.

#33 2008-05-07 20:07:12

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

1) accusing apple of being anti-competitive whilst happily using a microsoft windows PC? the people who wrote the book on anti-competitive practices.

not trying to start a war here dan. not saying that windows is any better, that's what openoffice is for ;-). windows is simply what i've grown into i guess. had i started with apple, i might feel the same way about pc. the thing with i-tunes is simply that it is the one thing that made my life more difficult in the past since i couldn't ask someone to dl something from i-tunes for me and then send it.

3) Look forward to seeing that.

i shall e-mail it to you in a jiffy.

edit: sent smile

Last edited by jack_addict (2008-05-07 20:19:33)

tony.jpg

#34 2008-05-07 20:41:47

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

not trying to start a war here dan.

Yeah, me neither, I just have this inner debater in me, that when I think of a good counter argument, I seem incapable of not speaking or writing it. I find it very hard to shut up. Annoyingly my housemates have gotten very good at knowing when to quickly disappear when i'm about to ramble on forever, although it's not all lost since my ego declares victory and i'm happy.

not saying that windows is any better, that's what openoffice is for ;-).

Yep, openoffice is great.

the thing with i-tunes is simply that it is the one thing that made my life more difficult in the past since i couldn't ask someone to dl something from i-tunes for me and then send it.

They could actually, quite easily. But i'll stop now.

i shall e-mail it to you in a jiffy.

edit: sent smile

thanks.

#35 2008-05-07 20:49:01

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

lol. you and i have the same problem, mate. that tendency of rambling on forevaah wink. you wouldn't be aries, too, would you wink. i know your b-day is two weeks after mine, but don't know whether you're still in aries or already in whatever comes next. taurus, is it.

tony.jpg

#36 2008-05-07 21:02:09

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

lol. you and i have the same problem, mate. that tendency of rambling on forevaah wink. you wouldn't be aries, too, would you wink. i know your b-day is two weeks after mine, but don't know whether you're still in aries or already in whatever comes next. taurus, is it.

I'm just the first day of taurus. For whatever thats worth.

#37 2008-05-07 21:23:35

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

I'm just the first day of taurus. For whatever thats worth.

nada, just askin. lol. you're 21st, i'm 7th. just wasn't sure if taurus starts 21st or 22nd.
you know, not that i believed much in any of this zodiac stuff, but for my b-day this year my brother bought me this funny booklet about what arieses are supposed to be like, and i was reading it at lunch then and found that lots of it is very true for me. so now i'm in a bit of a clinch there - is all the horoscope stuff hocus pocus or is there something more? oh well.

i bet tony's sign is Latino Lover. lol. (did I mention I dreamed of him last night?)

tony.jpg

#38 2008-05-07 21:36:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

i bet tony's sign is Latino Lover. lol. (did I mention I dreamed of him last night?)

No, and I don't think I care to hear the story, lol.

#39 2008-05-07 22:01:16

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

No, and I don't think I care to hear the story, lol.

lol lol lol

wait a second, we were only taking a walk! and it was carlos (not tony), kiefer, reiko and myself. nothing dirty there! (sorry to disappoint you tongue)

g'nite, mate!

tony.jpg

#40 2008-08-24 15:36:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Hello people,

I thought i'd revive this thread since i'm now taking the plunge and attempting to set up a triple boot system on a mac mini I bought off ebay as a bit of a media centre.

I've currently got Mac OS 10.5 set up as the primary OS, then installed Windows XP SP2 via bootcamp, now i'm further paritioning the remaining space on the hard drive and will be installing the latest stable release of ubuntu. Thus creating my 3-in-1 mega machine.

I'm not really sure what i'll use the linux part for at the moment, but I figure since the mac mini has essentially no files apart from software on it, i'm not gonna be that upset if I mess up the linux install so badly it takes the other to operating systems with it, all I've lost is the time it takes to reinstall things.

Will let you know how it turns out.

#41 2008-08-24 15:51:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

good luck, then! I still have linux on my system and haven't dared uninstall. it's still eating up my space... well, my inner chloe hasn't appeared, she has been more or less strangled from behind by one Alice Cooper, what can I do...

tony.jpg

#42 2008-08-24 17:00:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Hmm, hit a little snag, the internal harddrive on my mac mini refuses to be paritioned three ways, My mac programs don't leave enough room apparently. Gonna have to parition an existing external or buy a new small external. But it's gonna be a few days before I get the first proper leap into Linux, although i've booted into a Ubuntu Live CD a couple of times, just to have a play around. I guess a normal person wouldn't find that any fun, but I do for some reason. Seriously my boss is gonna give me an odd look when he asks me what I spent my bank holiday weekend doing and I tell him I had a great time creating a triple boot computer environment.

#43 2008-08-24 17:15:05

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol. cheers to that!

yeah I found linux fun too, for a while, and then as I stopped using it cause I was weary of always having to be figuring things out and googling for solutions, it became a bit of a nuisance that I can't get rid of...

I wonder what OS chloe works on when at home?..

tony.jpg

#44 2008-08-24 17:51:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

I wonder what OS chloe works on when at home?..

She'd use Linux, no question there, she'd probably custom build a version of Linux.

#45 2008-08-24 18:25:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol, yes, probably!

well, let us know how your experiment goes!

tony.jpg

#46 2008-08-25 14:10:02

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, so it's really not having it at the moment, can't split the internal harddrive three ways or get it to install properly on an external drive. I need to do more reading, but it's not gonna happen this bank holiday weekend. I'm gonna just have to be happy with dual booting mac and windows, and having my laptop being backuped wireless over my network to an external drive connected to another computer.

#47 2008-08-25 20:14:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

...and not trying to chat on msn while doing the backup! lol

tony.jpg

#48 2008-08-25 20:26:20

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

...and not trying to chat on msn while doing the backup! lol

Yes, yes, apologises, the first backup with the software is an exhaustive one, everything on the computer, can take a while to backup properly 100GB of stuff.

#49 2008-08-29 20:52:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Right having done some research today I think i'm better placed to try this again. Only i've got to find a distribution I like, I've tried Ubuntu via Live CD, the interface of which I really liked, but when I tried installing properly was a complete nightmare. Mandrake Live CD looks like the install would be a bit more cooperative, but I'm not liking the layout as much. So i'm downloading another two Live CD's right now which i'll try tomorrow. There are the latest stable versions of Fedora and OpenSUSE. The one I like the most of those two I'll try installing tomorrow.

#50 2008-08-30 01:03:13

24roxmysox3

I love the way i have no idea what you guys are talking about...lol!
(Oh, don't even TRY to explain it to me. probebly wouldn't get that either!)

Michelle Dessler: I'll go anywhere with you... as long as I don't have to cook.

Tony Almeida: Sweetheart, if you promise not to cook I will take you with me anywhere

Board footer