24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-06 18:19:58

smitten

What is the most unforgiveable thing Jack does in seasons 1-4?

For me this one is easy, and I'm keen to read what other people think.

In season 3, where Jack's prison break goes badly wrong, a prison guard is forced to play Russian roulette and dies. Jack's plan from the start was so hare-brained there were a million ways it could go wrong, and it did go wrong, and this man didn't deserve to die.

I also don't like it when he talks on his mobile while driving. I don't mind that he kills in cold blood for revenge and tortures for information wink, but talking on a mobile while driving is dangerous, and sets a bad example for young drivers.

Smitten (mother of 2 boys)

#2 2007-05-06 19:25:59

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: What is the most unforgiveable thing Jack does in seasons 1-4?

I will never forgive him for killing Joe Wald's dog! that was so mean and uncalled for. the dog was just defending his owner. he could have found another way to deal with the cute doggy!

the russian roulette scenes were awesome. the plan quite ingenious. jack had to break out salazar, there was no other way. in that light, all the dead were just victims of war, casualties in jack's war for the greater good. I'm not saying I'm supporting or condemning this, just stating it's how it would be justified. in jack's defense, he was heartbroken when that black guard died, you could see the defeat on his face. another example of kiefer's superb acting.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2007-05-06 19:59:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

This is a hard one, because really every decision he makes is in reaction to something else, and so all personal judgements are bound to be coloured as to what the end result was.

I'm not sure I can pick out moment that was his "most unforgiveable", there are points at which I think he crossed the line, when I was annoyed at him. Especcially during the third season, so him being a idiot and excluding Chase from field duty because he was seeing Kim, whatever his reasons. Putting being in danger with the entire sting operation. Being willing to infect Saunders daughter with the virus to get him to talk. 

*any and all torturing from the beginning of s4 onwards*

Telling the doctors to treat a witness instead of Paul Raines.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#4 2007-05-06 20:21:01

J_A
Administrator
Website

basically all the things you name (and many more, doubtlessly) are such that can and would be justified as making the tough choice for the greater good (i.e. "America"). each step on his rough way adds to the guilt that he carries on his shoulders and I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds of things that he himself will never forgive himself for; the first of them being not seeing through nina myers and losing his wife to her. obviously.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2007-05-07 04:54:04

TonyAlmeida

Killing Chappelle

#6 2007-05-07 09:23:00

M F Luder

LOL! That mention of Wald's dog made me think of what Carlos said in the S2 commentary of said ep. "You see a pitbull comin' at ya, you shoot it " .Heehhheh.

OT, but oh well

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#7 2007-05-07 09:34:40

hardy24
Administrator
Website

That commentary is a classic, it's so funny.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#8 2007-05-07 13:04:42

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

I will never forgive him for killing Joe Wald's dog! that was so mean and uncalled for. the dog was just defending his owner. he could have found another way to deal with the cute doggy!

Like what? I agree it wasn't the dog's fault, the dog was just doing what dogs do. But I'm not sure what else Jack could have done, quickly, to defend himself. He's Jack Bauer not Crocodile Dundee.

He is a right ***** at several points in season 3. When he flies off the handle and tells Kim she can't go undercover, I so wished she would have slapped him, hard.

(I love reading all your replies, btw)

#9 2007-05-07 17:59:42

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

Like what? I agree it wasn't the dog's fault, the dog was just doing what dogs do. But I'm not sure what else Jack could have done, quickly, to defend himself. He's Jack Bauer not Crocodile Dundee.

I dunno. shot him in the paw? sorry i just sometimes love animals more than ppl.

tony.jpg

#10 2007-05-08 11:29:18

Steveb

I think it's difficult to say if things he does are unforgivable or not, because everything he does is for a reason and always aids the greater good. Certainly I think certain things were ill-advised (season threes far too complicated sting operation for example) but not necessarily unforgivable.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#11 2007-05-08 13:06:40

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

I dunno. shot him in the paw? sorry i just sometimes love animals more than ppl.

ROFL. I knew you were going to say that! wink

#12 2007-05-08 13:37:10

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I think it's difficult to say if things he does are unforgivable or not, because everything he does is for a reason and always aids the greater good. Certainly I think certain things were ill-advised (season threes far too complicated sting operation for example) but not necessarily unforgivable.

exactly. which is why i can really live with everything he did - except the above wink

tony.jpg

#13 2007-05-08 15:10:23

deadmanmoz

Laying even a finger on Almeida!

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#14 2007-07-18 21:32:47

emma143
Website

Entrust nina so much in S1

Emz
x
εїз

4B, 6A, 1A* and the geek rules supreme (but still cant spell)

#15 2007-07-19 09:53:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

emma143 wrote:

now that's a strange choice, since nina was such a deep-cover mole that no-one knew she would turn out to be a traitor. of course, jack himself will never forgive himself for trusting her, but, really, could he have known? no.

tony.jpg

#16 2007-07-19 12:02:50

smitten

jack_addict wrote:
emma143 wrote:

now that's a strange choice, since nina was such a deep-cover mole that no-one knew she would turn out to be a traitor. of course, jack himself will never forgive himself for trusting her, but, really, could he have known? no.

Well, I think if you're going to have an affair, really it's best not to have one with your number two at work. Also, Jack does fine-tune his sixth sense when it comes to deception in the light of this. I doubt he would completely trust anyone ever again, not even, say, Chloe.

#17 2007-07-19 14:20:28

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:
jack_addict wrote:
emma143 wrote:

Well, I think if you're going to have an affair, really it's best not to have one with your number two at work. Also, Jack does fine-tune his sixth sense when it comes to deception in the light of this. I doubt he would completely trust anyone ever again, not even, say, Chloe.

well yeah, we've been taught the "Don't trust anybody" thing in the first ep of season 1. so...

tony.jpg

#18 2007-07-19 15:03:17

M F Luder

smitten wrote:

I remember someone else having a relationship with their second in command at work. *hahem*. But that turned out a bit different, then just an affair.Hehehe.

And I do agree with Mozz's comment about Jack ever laying a hand on Tony big_smile.

I can't really think of anything that would be absolutely unforgivable. Most of the things were judgement calls, made in a tight spot. Hindsight is always 20/20.  No matter who makes the calls, it's always easy to analyze it afterwards with all the facts.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#19 2007-07-20 14:50:40

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

Just to follow up on this, having watched it again. If you ignore the commentary, the sequence of events is as follows: there is a struggle between Jack and the dog, Jack aims the shotgun and fires, there is a whimper, and Jack goes after Wald. We don't actually get to see where Jack shoots the dog. It could have been the paw. Admittedly, Jack does nothing in the ensuing minutes to either administer first aid to said dog, nor to call for veterinarian assistance. He did, however, call for back up, and they may have saved the dog. In fact, the dog could still be alive and well and come back to haunt Jack in season 7. wink

#20 2007-07-20 17:45:21

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

In fact, the dog could still be alive and well and come back to haunt Jack in season 7. wink

LOL lol yes, maybe, who knows wink but that dog was awfully quiet after the whimper, so I do assume he didn't make it. after all, if he had been wounded only he would not have been quiet

tony.jpg

#21 2007-07-26 14:42:40

emma143
Website

How do you know this? Have you ever shot a dog in the paw? It may have gone into shock

Emz
x
εїз

#22 2007-07-26 15:33:22

smitten

Using George's exposure to plutonium against him in order to get to 'handle' Nina. It's pretty low, even for Jack. Most folk, if we found out a colleague was dying, would see what we could do to help, or be full of sympathy. It takes Jack Bauer to use it to get what he wants!

#23 2007-07-26 17:24:42

emma143
Website

isnt that what we love about him?

Having rewatched the episode....the dog was violent and viscous and if it did die then it deserved what it got

Last edited by emma143 (2007-08-06 20:39:24)

Emz
x
εїз

Board footer