24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-10 21:31:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Episode 8x10 Discussion

Just seen 8x10, and my one word review is "shrug". Really not caring about anything thats going on, a little bored. No excitement, no tension, nothing really at stake.

Shrug.

Another two episodes like this and I may stop watching, for the first time ever.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2010-03-20 23:37:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Episode 8x10 Discussion

hmm. which is sort of why i can't seem to find anything to write about. everything has already been there, one way or another. however, having seen up to ep 12 now, it starts picking up a little in the latest ep, but then I thought so a few eps ago, too and it didn't really pan out.

i'm seriously indifferent about this season. more so than ever.

it (yet again) goes to show that even great actors (or -at least- good actors) can really only do so much with a mediocre script. whereas renee and jack could carry the whole season just on their shoulders, the others can't. the subplots are irrelevant, I'm missing a vital tie-in, they got rid of a good actor ("vladimir") too soon - paralells david emerson really - and now they're stuck with ... a bad hair day middle-eastern president and a divorced american pres who lacks meaningful screen-time and whose role kind of feels like an extra pile of whipped cream slapped onto an already finished cake. whereas hers was a vital storyline in s7, and as such, her less meaningful scenes still had the right of existence, this year, alison taylor's character seems to have been written into the season just because the actress had signed the contract). she doesn't carry a plot or even subplot. she's a mere information source and lacks an emotional anchor in the season. for the first time in her hitherto short life on the 24 shelf, president taylor is really not necessarily necessary.

season 7 was such a fulminant return that we all thought they'd learned how to get back to the basics, how to find the emotional anchors that would make the story believable, we (well, some of us) were excited about almeida's return, not only out of selfishness (hey, almeidaists really did need to see tony again wink), but also cause we knew and thought the writers had understood that jack needed tony as anchor. that the chemistry between them was needed for the show to feel relevant.

this year, it seems, renee is supposed to be jack's emotional anchor, at least now that kim is gone to california (wasn't there a song by that name?), and there is really nothing negative to say about renee (in fact, so far, the MMS (most memorable scene) award so far goes to renee*) or jack or the chemistry between them but most other stuff this season is just leaving me cold.

this is a real pity, considering that this is pretty much going to be the last season. why couldn't it have ended on a high note? YES, they should have let s7 be the last. that is, since they insisted on carrying on post-season 3, which could just as well have been a good finish line.

but no, not FOX.

as always, they keep squeezing until the river runs dry.

well, it is dry. the steam has run out.

everything is a rehash, I don't remember being on the edge of my seat ONCE this season, the vast majority of the characters are leaving me indifferent, disinterested, and I can see through the plot before it happens.

and now there are talks about a possible 9th season... now, if that happens, PLEASE kick HoGo's butt out, and bring a fresh set of people to take care of the show. otherwise, who will care to watch?

I know I won't.
___

*renee at the dock, with vladimir holding the gun to her head. brilliant.

_

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer