24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 13:59:47

Steveb

Defining 24

I was watching something the other day about defining different cultural things and how bands, directors, etc all have defining moments or albums or other such stuff, which got me thinking how would you define 24?

If you had to pick a scene or a particular line from anywhere in the history of 24 that you felt defines the show what would it be. It doesn't necessarily have to be your favourite moment, just a moment that you feel defines the show.

The best example I can think of is the final episode of season one, and the scene where Jack, having just been told by Nina that Kim is dead, proceeds to take on the Drazen's single-handedly. For me, this scene has action, raw emotion, the stock-in trade duplicity (nina) and a beautifully shot piece of cinematography from start to finish.

Any other suggestions?

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#2 2009-08-19 12:18:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Defining 24

hmm that is a very good thought, steve. I like your suggestion, but I am personally absolutely not sure about what the defining moment of the show could be, it would take a bit of thinking to get there. mostly because I don't have all the seasons fresh in my memory. I might go for something from season 3 that also involves jack and nina. can't pick one right now. i'm so bad at these things.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2009-08-20 18:53:34

24nut
Website

hmm, that is a hard one, probably a defining moment for me would have to be the Jack and Kim scene from Season 7 where he explains that she cant be there and that he is dying.

To me that one scene shows all the emotion and the toll that the whole series has taken on Jack.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2009-08-23 10:13:08

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'd pick a series of small scenes which occur one after another from the pilot. It starts with the end of the scene where Jack and Teri discover Kim has sneaked out with the line "It's only a briefing, I should be back in an hour", continues with Jack's conversation with Kim's Ex on the phone as he walks to his car, then the line from the song playing "24 hours on an empty brain" comes in quite loud as Jack drives off, cut to a clock showing ten past midnight as the time and pan down to Kim and her friend in their car.

It's a series which perfectly defined what 24 was in the early years, about a domestic very normal (even slightly tedious) situation which slowly spins out of control, with all the characters unaware of what is really coming.

Ofcourse if i was being really picky about these things, I would simply say it's the first time Kiefer intones "events occur in real time".

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#5 2009-09-02 08:00:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Well I guess I killed this thread stone dead

*bump*

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#6 2009-09-02 15:36:58

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm, it's a good thread, but well... no huge activity anywhere these days... season 7 just started airing here. last night, with redemption and the first 2 eps. not watching it, cause i can't stand to listen to jack speaking german. hehe.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#7 2009-09-02 16:46:28

Steveb

Do they use a German-speaking sound-alike or is it a completely different sounding voice? Can't really imagine anyone other than Kiefer being the voice of Jack Bauer.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#8 2009-09-02 23:41:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

me neither, stevie. actually, the voice is relatively similar. they can't do it for all actors, i think, but they try for the more important ones. AND they re-use he same german actors for the same character in different seasons.

i've just read that the swiss channel that had shown each season in dual tone (english as an option), will not be showing s7. apparently it was too expensive, and since they want to show it at the same time and pace as the german channels or not at all, they've opted for not at all. the backstory is that a german pay tv channel has bought the rights (channel affiliated with fox, apparently), and they had shown s7 almost simultaneously with your pace. money rules the world. sad but true.

tony.jpg

Board footer