24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 23:19:57

24nut
Website

Season 8 location and information

Season 8 is going to be set in New York and CTU will be back, CTU NY that is, it will be headed up by a guy called Brian Hastings (yet to be cast) and Chloe will be working there. Im getting a bit bored of Chloe to be honest,  we need a character like Milo was, not his season 6 goofball character but the awesome season 1 computer genius.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/exclusive-24-mo.html

So another new location, well the move to DC definatly paid off, this season has been awesome so far.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2009-04-16 09:28:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Season 8 location and information

thanks 24nut, good news. A few days ago, I had heard (i.e. read) in an interview that ctu would be back , which , considering the happenings this season, was kinda an obvious move. pres taylor is close to realizing that the fbi can't handle terrorists and she'll re-establish ctu without doubt. as far as chloe goes, yeah, same feelings here, too. this season we had a double chloe in that there was also janis. obviously, they can't bring milo back and the botched his return royally in s6, but I dunno, I've forgotten him really, i don't honestly remember what was so great about him. but I keep hearing he's being missed, so yeah, why not, I guess. A young techy with milo's characteristics, sure.

as for new york, well, I keep wondering, do the United States of America consist of LA, Miami, Las Vegas, Washington DC, and New York? Because most of the shows take place there... Then there's Boston and Seattle sometimes, but then I t hink that's about it.

Sure, NY is an awesome location, sufficiently big, and relevant (i.e. also a relevant target), and for a show like 24, it can work extra well because of the 9/11 history - the people are sensibilized, and the city will probably do anything to prevent another attack. Now that I think of it, one of the Declassified books took place in New York. In addition, the studios likely possess tons of material "representing" New York, i.e. stuff they can use in the studio for a blue screen (or green screen, whichever it is now) to make us believe we're in NYC. Still, despite all that, I just sometimes wish we'd get to see another city... Phoenix, Chicago, Sacramento, Detroit, hell, even Trenton, New Jersey. lol.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2009-04-16 23:42:22

24roxmysox3

hey yall!!! i think they should do one in phoenix becuase its an AWSOME city!!!!!

Michelle Dessler: I'll go anywhere with you... as long as I don't have to cook.

Tony Almeida: Sweetheart, if you promise not to cook I will take you with me anywhere

#4 2009-04-16 23:42:28

24nut
Website

New Jersey would be a really funny place to shoot 24, lol. As with most shows "set" in New York they are mostly set in LA so i guess the crew will be on familiar ground.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2009-04-17 20:26:30

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah plus it keeps the production costs low(er) since you don't have to relocate everything and everyone during the shooting and pay their accommodation too

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2009-08-10 23:35:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

New York Times reports that Season 8 is NOT going to be filmed on location in NYC, not even partly. because FOX has asked the producers to keep the costs low, the entire season will be filmed in L.A., using technical tricks of make-believe:

An Executive at Fox Drops Hints About a Murky Future for the Costly ‘24’

With its heavy action scenes and with Mr. Sutherland earning a reported $13 million each season, “24” is expensive to produce. Fox Broadcasting will want to limit how much it has to pay for the rights to televise the series even though it is produced by 20th Century Fox Television, a sister division of the News Corporation.

Already, producers have been told to keep costs down. While Mr. Sutherland shot scenes for the seventh season of “24” in Washington, there are no plans for him to film scenes for the coming season in New York, where the eighth season is set.

Instead, New York street scenes will be shot either outside in Los Angeles or on a soundstage using green-screen technology, with backgrounds inserted digitally.

the whole article, which also (yet again) states that it has not yet been decided whether or not season 8 will be the last, can be found here: link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/business/10fox.html?_r=1

frankly, my first thought here was, hopefully the budget cuts won't cut the quality of the storyline. and I guess the overall effect will depend on how much they'll focus on action sequences to carry the storyline - let's hope that the (now even more frequent) "No, you can't do that, it's too expensive" will boost creativity rather than suffocate it.

while I do understand they can't change the actual location for the crew and everyone involved each year (there WAS, after all, Africa and Washington, DC), it seems a little counterproductive to first choose a new location because "the change of scenery really invigorated the show" and then to have to stay in L.A. and pretend to be in new york. I'm not saying this isn't done on a daily basis in Hollywood. I just sort of think that there's a vibe to New York, especially post 9/11, that a counter-terrorist series like 24 might have profited from. i mean, just being there would have had an impact on everyone, I'm sure. just like DC had. so in that sense, I think it's a pity they're California-bound this year. Bring on the Special FX team! wink

tony.jpg

#7 2009-08-11 12:08:47

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'm thinking that probably we'll just have a lot of regular shooting with some landmarks digitally inserted into the backgrounds, plus I'd imagine they'd atleast stump up for a day or two of filming establishing shots in New York which can be spread through out the season. Which is all fine, they may also end up doing some "bottle" episodes, ones where it's almost entirely filmed on existing sets.

There are numerous creative ways of spreading a budget around.

Also worth noting the "keep a lid on the budget" note usually comes about a year before the "you've not been renewed" note.

Also seems like they're in a fix with how much they've agreed to pay Kiefer, i'd predict a large chunk of the increase in costs between season 1 and season 8 is due to how much they are now paying Kiefer (and other cast members)

So I'd predict a "we'll renew if Kiefer isn't in it next time" comment from the network.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#8 2009-08-11 16:03:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Also seems like they're in a fix with how much they've agreed to pay Kiefer, i'd predict a large chunk of the increase in costs between season 1 and season 8 is due to how much they are now paying Kiefer (and other cast members)

So I'd predict a "we'll renew if Kiefer isn't in it next time" comment from the network.

kiefer does seem to be the highest paid television actor (at least at the moment), as reported by some article i've recently read, and I'm sure you're right about the increase in costs stemming also from that fact. kiefer would have to be a real sport and agree to get less money so that the show could go on and / or get better production.

the IF no kiefer clause - i don't quite think it'll work, not after they've really made him a VIP on the show. no one would watch if he were gone. and they prolly know that.

interesting relationship btw the 'keep a lid' and 'not renewed' comments. i did not know that.

tony.jpg

#9 2009-08-11 17:40:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

J_A wrote:

interesting relationship btw the 'keep a lid' and 'not renewed' comments. i did not know that.

At least that is my observation of American network shows. Obviously networks are always counting the pennies, but when it's a big enough concern that it gets an article like that, yeah it's hit the red zone and cost has suddenly become a bigger factor (almost the biggest) in whether the show will get renewed.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#10 2009-08-11 23:04:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, and since it's expressly being said that "eventually, it will come down to a business decision" whether or not 24 will get renewed, it's pretty clear that it's only about money now, independent of whether or not s8 will be well received by the public.

also, the question poses itself - does the network still believe in the creativity of the writers or do they think the money invested just isn't worth it anymore?

so... assuming the decision is NO - two reactions on the part of the writers / makers are possible: a) ah, what the hell, we're not getting renewed, so who cares... or b) let's try to make the best season ever and go out with a bang.

with the 24 guys, i'd almost bet they'd go for b), they've already proven once that they could rise from the ashes - now the challenge is to top this. and hey, we've always wanted the show to "finish strong." - better than fading away. I still stand by that.

tony.jpg

#11 2009-08-14 21:27:55

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm. kiefer now says that yes, they will be shooting on location part of the time

http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2009/08/13/%E2%80%9C24%E2%80%9D-heads-to-the-big-apple/

it might be what was suggested - establishing shots.

tony.jpg

Board footer