24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-01 08:37:11

24nut
Website

how does season 7 match up?

So how does season 7 match up for you, i've just watched episode 15 so we are quite far through, only 8 episodes left stateside and 9 for everyone else. For me this would be how i rank the seasons based on my opinion of season 7 so far. From having recorded 24 every week, i watched episodes 11-15 and this season flows really well when watching episodes together. So here is my view at the moment, this might change after the finale airs.

1. Season 1
2. Season 7
3. Season 5
4. Season 2
5. Season 3
6. Season 4
7. Season 6

I chose 4 and 6 as my least favourite due to them being the two seasons that i think changed the way 24 was shown, during those seasons 24 turned into an action show, which isn't the shows intention, Season 5 was great and didn't feel like this at all. Season 7 though is looking to be my favourite season of 24, Season 1 will always be special to me because its where it all started, but the development of the characters and emotion shown so far in Season 7 is incredible. What a stark contrast between the current season and Season 6.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2009-04-01 20:03:22

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: how does season 7 match up?

For me ...

Season 1
Season 5
Season 7
Season 2
Season 3
Season 6
Season 4

But obviously I think the only way is up for season 7.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2009-04-01 20:22:34

24nut
Website

I think its interesting how seasons 3,6 and 4 are in the bottom 3 in both of our lists, just shows the difference in quality, dont get me wrong, they are better than other tv series but they dont match up to the greater seasons.

And i agree, the only way is up.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2009-04-02 00:08:54

hockeyfan_94

At the moment, my list reads:

One
Three
Seven
Five
Two
Four
Six

I actually like Three a lot, mostly because of Stephen Saunders (one of the few non-stererotypical villains, and a great one at that) and Jack's relationships throughout. The situation between Jack, Kim, and Chase was interesting, as well as the way the Salazars interacted with each other and with Jack. I think it also had to do with the weapon itself. I find that bioweapons are more interesting than nukes for some reason.

#5 2009-04-18 10:38:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

I've just noticed I haven't ranked mine yet. although it is going to be subject to change, and VERY MUCH depend on how tony's storyline pans out in the end*, I thought I'd give it a rating now, and then re-rank it once it's over.

so, at the moment, although it's not easy, the rankings are:

*not so much because I'm such a tony fan, but simply because the way they treat his character will be proof for or against their having found their way back into the characters, i.e. staying "in character". and this season, the symbol of that understanding has been tony, because, well, he has been resurrected from the dead, and as such, this could have killed the show, but it didn't. it revitalized it. so I'm just waiting to see if it will succeed in holding all the pieces together on the whole.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2009-04-22 19:45:27

Steveb

Might as well throw mine in here.

7*
3/5

*subject to change. I can see it going joint second or dropping to join seasons three and five; it depends heavily on the last 6 episodes.

Should also add that there is a massive gap from season 6 to season 4 and then another massive gap to the rest. I think those seasons contain the worst individual episodes and worst continual storylines.

Season one will always be top because it is the original and best. Not always in terms of story but certainly in terms of concept and delivery. Two and three are much in the same vain and along with season five have very rounded and complete stories.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#7 2009-05-27 21:32:54

24nut
Website

after watching the whole season now, i think Season 7 may just be my favourite season, i know it doesn't have Palmer like Season 1, but im going to have to say that Season 7 was on par with Season 1.

#8 2009-05-28 20:50:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

I agree with 24nut. Not to diminish the importance and brilliance of s1, because as steve said, it WAS the original, (so in that sense, no storyline could feel stale or repetitive, and everything they did was a full surprise to us), but I've said it before, s7 felt like a revival of season 1 but with the experience of the past 6 years. although it hurt so damn much (or maybe because it hurt so damn much), s7 is quite without a doubt at least in my top 2, and quite possibly at the top. in order to be objective, I may need to remember why I used to list s3 as my favorite and I might not be able to do that until this high from the finale has gone by. ah, nevermind. who said I had to be objective? choices are subjective anyway. wink. so here goes:

3 / 1

and btw, s7 is carlos's favorite season, and I can damn well see why

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#9 2009-05-28 21:19:31

hardy24
Administrator
Website

My list now probably reads...

Season 1
Season 7
Season 5
Season 2
Season 3
Season 6
Season 4

I need to watch season 1 again for a conclusive decision between 1 and 7.

Having done some unscientific number crunching our collective verdict looks like....

1. Season 1
2. Season 7
3. Season 2
3. Season 3
closely followed by
5. Season 5
and then some distance to
6. Season 4
7. Season 6

#10 2009-05-28 21:23:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

I am surprised that you rank s5 over s2. I honestly liked s2, I don't think there was much wrong with it beside the obvious

remind me to ask MFL where she ranks s7, I'd really like to know. her absolute favorite so far was s3 - obviously, cause of the whole ToChelle stuff, but I'd really want to hear if Dark Tony has managed to pull her in as much as he's pulled me in. And by  pulling in, I simply mean that he's been absolutely outstanding this season - but I don't mean that I condone what he's done or is doing, but I understand.

tony.jpg

#11 2009-05-28 23:44:59

24nut
Website

ok, i didn't redo my list, here goes:

1. Season 7
2. Season 1
3. Season 5
4. Season 2
5. Season 3
6. Season 4
7. Season 6

Season 7 and 1 are so close, Season 1 is the original, but Season 7 is like a new reinvention of the show and as j_a said the depth of the characters and the scenes are even greater due to the six days before hand.

#12 2009-05-29 20:29:43

hardy24
Administrator
Website

J_A wrote:

I am surprised that you rank s5 over s2. I honestly liked s2, I don't think there was much wrong with it beside the obvious

J_A, there was nothing wrong with s2, it's just that I felt the s5 arc hangs together better.

#13 2009-05-29 22:42:18

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh well, if i ever make myself watch s5 again, maybe i'll be able to pass judgement on it wink.

tony.jpg

Board footer