24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 22:42:31

24nut
Website

7x23 & 7x24 Discussion / 6:00am - 8:00am / Finale

ok, i've finished watching the finale, all i can say is that it was brilliant. The emotion was at an all time high for this series. Kiefer's acting was amazing, but Carlos' was incredible, as he screamed "you killed my son, my son". It was the most powerful Tony moment i have ever seen. And in that moment Tony in my eyes redeemed himself.

Sure he did some bad things, even Tony has said that, it took him 3 years to find Wilson and a furthur year to meet him so im sure Tony has been into some bad goings on, i like Tony's character more now than i ever have. What the writers have done has made him, a more powerful character, he is neither all good, nor all bad. When Tony said to Wilson about killing Michelle, i wasn't really feeling it, but when he said that she was carrying his unborn child and that he lost his entire life in that car bomb, then i saw a man who has lost everything.

I know Tony wanted to kill Wilson and the countries best interest was to keep him alive, but is it so different to what happened to Nina, it's really not. Jack lost his wife to her and he ultimately killed her.

We know are uncertain what will happen to Tony, i think we didn't get the answers to this because Season 8 will deal with this, i am sure though that Carlos will be back and Tony will be playing just as big of a role as he did this season. For me, Tony is as big as he has ever been on the show.

What i really liked about the ending to this is season is that there are so many un answered questions and this gives me an indication that next season is going to be closely linked to this one. We dont know what will happen to Tony, we dont know whether Renne will get Wilson to talk and we dont necessarily know Jack will survive, well im pretty sure he will as there wouldnt be an eighth season otherwise, but will he have any long term affects even after he has recovered.

I'm going to watch the two episodes again, as im still on a high from viewing them. Has anyone else on the board seen it yet?

Last edited by 24nut (2009-05-24 17:42:13)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2009-05-26 19:03:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: 7x23 & 7x24 Discussion / 6:00am - 8:00am / Finale

I have just finished watching them. I was on holiday last week and I haven't gotten a chance to access the material until tonight.

I really have to agree with you, this season has been such a great ride, it's actually had me IN it more than any other season so far. The acting from each and every one of them was absolutely bloody brilliant and I can totally see Tony doing the things he did. That isn't to say I can condone them, but hell, who knows what we'd do if someone wiped out our entire families? that's again what so great about this show - it makes you ask yourself questions of this kind. has really brought back so many qualities of the previous seasons, lots of story elements, too, but also, many characters resembling other, long-gone characters. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. it was a rebirth of season 1, but with the added experience of the 5 years that happened between 1 and 7. quite honestly, this is now my favorite season. I'm feeling so in touch with the characters, they're so damn strong. My only real beef with them is this whole recasting business but I've mentioned that elsewhere.

I am sooooooooooo glad they didn't kill tony, and even though it totally would have been IN jack's character to kill him, it's good that he didn't. at the point where jack is dying, looking for redemption, killing someone who was once his friend (great line there, btw), wouldn't have helped him on his way to the other side.

I loved it that jack had the imam come over to his death bed - what a great way for the show to reconcile itself with the muslim community.

I also am glad that alison taylor didn't betray her principles and her integrity - she is so palmerish it's uncanny. although that storyline really smelled of sherry and keith palmer, I really didn't mind it. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing her divorced next season, with ethan by her side, and olivia, well, I hope in prison - although back in s2, we did see palmer pull the strings to keep sherry out of jail.

It's good they didn't try to wrap up all storylines in this season, to squeeze them all in, and rush things. they've taken their time, and season 8 will follow seemlessly from season 7. with an either healed jack or a jack whose symptoms have been ameliorated by the stem cell therapy, but he's still carrying the prions inside himself. there will be a divorced president taylor, a tony who's either going to be in jail or by some miracle kept out of it, a reinstated CTU with chloe in charge of things - and hey, maybe she'll give janis a job, now that they've gotten over their chick fight phase big_smile. and season 8 will be about uncovering the Group. or it'll at least start there.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2009-05-26 23:53:36

24nut
Website

Did anyone else feel really really sorry for Tony when he was scrambling for that gun, he just has no one in his life anymore, i have to agree, this season has been my favourite too, minus a couple of annoying casting choices.

Tony has never had so much depth and he has never been as interesting as he is now, some people didn't like the finale, but really it has been one of the best, it leaves so much unanswered and makes me look forward to something more than just a reinvented story, hopefully they can continue the level of character development.

I dont think i have ever enjoyed the emotional moments in 24 as i have this season, if im to be honest im not one for all the big explosions and such, i like the emotional fights such as the Drazen shootout. Also did you notice that when Jack told Renne that Tony has been playing both sides, his voice almost sounded like he completely understood what he has done, after all Jack knows all too well hat has to be done when either family is at risk or have been killed.

The writers have done a fantastic job this season. Also Carlos and Kiefer deserve Emmy's for their performances, especially that scene where Tony is scrambling for the gun and Jack cant kill him. That has to be my favourite scene of the season.

Last edited by 24nut (2009-05-26 23:54:30)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2009-05-27 11:06:31

Rexy

I was a bit disappointed by the finale really. Yes, the acting was fantastic and I could see what they were trying to do with all the emotional scenes, but for me it just didn't work. I was surprised to see you guys felt sympathy for Tony, I just thought, "blimey, he's gone very mental!" and fully expect to see him shackled up like hanibal lector next season staring menacingly at Jack. I really wanted him to be working for something bigger than personal revenge and feel there isn't anywhere else they can go with him now apart from the deranged ex agent.

So Renee might or might not torture someone, not very suspenseful seeing as she has handcuffed Janice and is making a choice her heart can live with, Jack may as well have told her to pull his fingernails out with pliers! On a positive note, she totally rocked clinging on to the car and shooting up the bad guys. Love her!

Yay, Olivia got her comeuppance, that was pretty cool, hats off there, I waited all season for that!

But what is going on with Jack Bauer? I think he will return next season angry and possibly suffering from some personality changes from the prion disease. Maybe there is hope for Jack and Tony to team up in some crazy revenge pact but I doubt it. It might be possible that dim Kim (who admittedly did quite well in the last few episodes but still managed to get herself kidnapped, will she never learn?) dies from giving Jack the treatment. Unfortunately I don't think we can get rid of her that easily.

I could see what the producers were trying to do with the visit from the Imam, it almost worked but, hang on. What have the producers been eating? 4 cheese pizza with mozzarella dippers on the side, with cheese sauce? It just seemed like a cheap and ineffective nod towards the muslim community, like oh yeah, that'll cheer up anyone they have upset.

Finally, I know the next season follows soon after this one, but I have to wait over six months. What's wrong with tying up a few things people? Have the guts to finish a season and trust we will watch the next one without a load of gimmicky cliff hangers. And next season, don't disable your main character with a prion disease ages before the end.

I am sad to say, that although the season started with a bang, it failed to live up to its earlier episodes. I have much lower hopes for the next season, although I will still be watching.

#5 2009-05-27 20:22:47

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, obviously we're all entitled to our opinions but I do not agree with you.

it's true, they didn't blow up LA in the finale, and no nuke went off but this season has been brilliant and so has the finale. when you look at where the characters have come to, it's really fantastic, and there ARE places to go with them. they have left so many ties open that they need to take things up where they left off, and it really will be the first 2season 24 season, one where the storyline just seemlessly seeps through, and I like that. i talked to dan briefly last night after he'd seen the finale eps, and he said he almost wished this was the last season and that there was no more 24 after this, cause it just turned out brilliant, and he really dug the questions left open, you can sort of write your own ending (and I'm certain that a lot of fanfic writers will do just that during the final hiatus). personally, I prefer self-contained entities that tied up all ends once the season finished, but like I said, I like them venturing onto new ground here. the only danger I see is that s8 won't be able to surpass what s7 has achieved and that we'd be left disappointed after all (I think that's also dan's reason for "almost wishing it was the last").

but quite honestly, the writers have done a rock solid job this season, staying in character even for tony, for the broken tony, and NO, he has not completely gone mental. I don't know how young you are, but you sound like a teen, so I'll try not to take your head off. what tony has done, the 4 years of looking for the guy who took away everything from him, as much as I hate to admit it, it is tony alright. I hate to see him like that, and it hurts like hell - but the fact that it does hurt means that they've done it well, and as much as I'm surprised they didn't kill him (yet?), I'm grateful for it, too. as for where they can go with it - well... it's not entirely clear where tony will end up, but he's still relatively likely to end up in federal prison... it hurts to think of it, but really, nothing else would be realistic at all. of course, since this would be his 2nd treason charge - and as jack so nicely reminded him, they could also slap the 'aiding and abetting a genocide' thing on him - they'd push for the death penalty this time around...

so... it's well known that people change on Death Row. A Tony awaiting his execution would be a different Tony. Still bitter, very, very bitter in fact, cause he didn't even get the chance to kill Wilson, but also resigned, calm, indifferent. It would be a complete contrast to the tony from this season, the tony who has been driven by revenge and anger. And because Jack is unlikely to be at the top of his game, like I said, they're going to need tony's help to get to the group or whatever the reason. and a condemned-to-death-tony with absolutely nothing left to lose but still believes in the afterlife, might agree to help out in order to save his soul, or whatever. I'm not religious really, but almeida might have been, once upon a time. I think he might have lost his faith after michelle's death, but maybe he's learned to accept things as they are now, and would try to redeem himself to be at peace with god. that's just a thought, but it's quite a plausible one.

I'm sorry for you that you're feeling that way about the finale, cause I think you're missing the essence of it. yes, it was anticlimatic and my first reaction to the final seconds was "what? that's it?", but I never for a second felt bored or anything less than thrilled.

as a fan of the very first hour who's seen this show through from Day 1, for the last 8 years, I am absolutely looking forward to the next season, cause I've regained faith in the writers! after royally screwing up the last time, they have proved that they can still do their job and do it well. I hope s8 will be on the same high level and I can't wait!

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2009-05-27 23:46:11

Rexy

Wow, thank you. I often seem to disagree with the majority opinion on this website, and sometimes receive what feels like harsh feedback from some contributors! But I like to contribute anyway, and see what you guys are seeing because it adds to my interest and enjoyment. However, after it was suggested I "stop whining" when my favourite character was infected with a prion disease (yes, I know you all love Tony more wink) I was a little scared to come back. I'm sure I would see the finale differently if Jack wasn't my favourite character, and I didn't so want to see Tony and Jack team up and rock (maybe with Renee and Chloe as sidekicks).

I think it is nice to see what other fans think, everyone has such great ideas and links. Also, although I love the show (and have also watched it from the very first hour, even through the somewhat questionable season 6) I do love a lot of the fun action stuff that goes on. For me that is the whole point of watching 24, to lose yourself in the story and revel in an outrageous plot that you choose to believe in, cheering on the guys when they utter a cool one liner and then punch some guy in the face. The reason it works so well for me is because it isn't just action, they also have great actors, sets, directors (usually), music and characters. I don't want anything to explode, or any nukes going off necessarily, but to me it is primarily an action show with great characters and stories, so maybe I just wanted a bit more action, a bit more of a chase, a bit less of my favourite character on his death bed!

Anyway, hope I haven't annoyed all you Tony fans too much and that I will be allowed to put my pro Jack stance forward on this site next season. Roll on January.

#7 2009-05-28 00:11:07

24nut
Website

Tony and Jack are the best characters 24 have ever had, im not pro Jack or pro Tony, they both are so brilliant. I think that some people see Tony differently which is understandable considering his actions and motives this season.

#8 2009-05-28 20:58:01

J_A
Administrator
Website

this site isn't pro-tony or pro-jack. some of the members are. everyone is responsible solely for their own opinions.

I know some tony fans who literally HATE jack. i don't hate jack. they're both brilliant, they're both vital to the show, and all I'm sayin is I'm glad the writers have gone back in time and realized it wink. I was in way too much of a hurry last night at 1AM to put in smileys in my LOOOOOOOOOOOONG post, so I guess it came off like shouting. the "!" s in the end were exclamation points of excitement and anticipation. there, I said it big_smile

tony.jpg

#9 2009-06-07 09:13:17

Steveb

Ok toys back in the pram boys and girls :-p the only thing we're all for here is 24, favourite character, seasons and episodes are all personal choice and let's be glad because otherwise life would get very dull very quickly.

So to the finale. I'll give my opinion alphabetically.

Amazing, brilliant, clever, dramatic, etc....

High points:

- Beautifully dramatic and understated. It didn't need big explosions, it had emotional drama aplenty, with each character being given at least one scene to shine.
- Nicely open-ended, lots of loose threads to pick at.
- It never felt out of character, which previous seasons have had issues with.
- There were great nods to the past, in particular the moment where the President walked out on her husband which was a direct recreation of Palmer walking out on Sherry in s1.
- The meeting between Jack and the Imam.
- Tony. Just Tony.
- Kim finally earned the name Bauer.

Low Points (and I'm being really really picky):

- A lot of uplighting in dark rooms, got a bit samey
- There is a risk that they've written themselves into a corner, but I have faith which I didn't have last year.
- It's six months until the next season starts.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#10 2009-06-07 13:10:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

"Tony. Just Tony." hehehehe. Oh yes. There wasn't ENOUGH tony, but hey. what there was, was simply brilliant.

"risk they've written themselves into a corner, but I have faith which I didn't have last year"
I agree with the latter part. they've reinstalled faith in me, too. faith that I'd lost. but I would like ot know why you think they've written themselves into a corner this time around? Obviously, they'll have Jack healed by the time of s8, and if there's need for tony, they'll get him out of jail somehow. (I just hope jack won't have to break him out just so he can betray him again later.)

tony.jpg

#11 2009-06-12 15:50:56

Steveb

It's only a concern because while it's incredibly open-ended it's also puts them in an interesting position in terms of where to start s8.

Either they start incredibly soon after, and either take Jack out of the equation or jump higher over the shark than ever before, or they start it much later and to a point undermine the tension that was built up in those last five minutes. I'm sure they'll work their way around it, but I can still remember my disappointment that the amazing cliffhanger at the end of season two was effectively ignored at the start of season three.

Jack's story is obvious to resolve- he gets well, possible rehabilitation and PTSD but otherwise he'll be back in action ready to blow up some more enemies of freedom- Tony and Renee's story arcs (Renee in particular) stand out as being desperately unconcluded.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#12 2009-06-12 18:09:50

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes indeed, they do. as for jack, I'm not sure if you've seen the photos from the set a few days ago, but from the time frame we must be moving in according to those pics, i'm thinking you will be disappointed again cause they'll very likely just tell us that jack is well, and that's it. i guess i'm trying to say they will probably ignore the cliffhanger again.

tony.jpg

Board footer