24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-02-14 19:37:53

Steveb

Re: Battlestar Galactica - Final Season

I've avoided writing about this episode because it just left me in a state of mind that was difficult to comprehend.

There were moments that genuinely left me stunned eg, killing the Quorum and the absolutely beautiful end scene, which transformed Felix from self-created victim to tragic anti-hero in a single sentence. There were also fantastic action sequences and genuine drama, as if this is what the show has been building too since they arrived on earth.

I think the repercussions of this episode will be effectively what drives the series to it's conclusion.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#52 2009-02-14 21:34:19

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I couldn't quite believe the about turn they accomplished with Felix, the "I felt I had to try" look on his face was quite something.

The complexity of everyones motives, allegiances and emotions was what made the episode what it was. Zarek wanted power because atleast then he knew he could keep care of himself. Felix was rebelling as a reaction to everything turning upside down on him - it was his way of coping, I could go on, no one was just along for the ride.

I'm curious as to how much significance the line "I know who you are Felix" will have on future events.

Also, is every episode from now until the end likely to have me (and everyone else?) on the brink of tears. 

Final point, scenes like Felix's "last meal" scene with Baltar are a perfect example what can be so rewarding of following such a series from the beginning and sticking with it, since it's only after a history has developed that you get such scenes.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#53 2009-03-18 21:11:44

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, where are you up to? I just seen the first part of the the series final (daybreak) although in reality I just seen the first third since daybreak part two is a double episode.

Couldn't really sum up my thoughts, only that I feel so comfortable with this show now, feels like an old friend telling a story, and i'll miss it when it's gone.

#54 2009-03-27 12:58:51

Steveb

I watched the finale last night and was blown away by it. If you haven't seen it yet I won't spoil it, but it is quite brilliant- if bloody annoying at the same time, but then again that's BSG all over.

The preceding few episodes were a little bland for my tastes, after the mutiny and then the brilliant expositional episode, everything slowed down and got a bit too introspective for its own good. But as usual it's because they needed desperately to save money for the big finish.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#55 2009-03-27 22:34:41

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, I have seen all of the finale now, and I have to say I have mixed feelings. The middle hour of the three seemed a needless waste of special effects - and the first hour was just telling us stuff about the characters that if it was all that important they would have told us already. Those two hours could have been compressed into a single hour - with flashbacks during a slightly less showy battle which could have simply acted as a "how did we get here" device - until driving towards the conclusion with a little more force in the final hour.

I hate to be so down on it, but really the things they got right where the things it would have been hard to muck up. They had to recreate the opera house vision, and they did that very well. And Kara had to full fill her destiny somehow - of course I did love the fact that if you play All Along The Watchtower on a nav computer keypad it takes you to earth (Prove if anymore was needed that Bob Dylan is a genius). Hera as Eve was a good pay off - the idea that "the plan" doesn't ever truly have an end was a clever twist on the idea of destiny. Adama and Roslins final scenes where absolutely heart breaking. And ofcourse will the very end was a touch predictable and a touch annoying it was also very Battlestar.

But everything in between lacked just a little bit of conviction, as it tried desperately to find some momentum and threw the baby out with the bath water several times (Cavil such a determined leader one minute - committing suicide the next) and they really shouldn't have raised the issue of Kara's "resurrection" so strongly if they weren't going to answer it - I would have been quite happy for them to leave that hanging if she hadn't actually found her body on "Earth". Any new questions you pose in the final 10 episodes you really have to answer.

Also, where on earth (pun intended) was the scene with Baltar teaching a caveman to play scrabble?

And finally, one last point before I stop moaning, why was the moment they where about to deliver there "message" bit did RDM decide was the moment he had to have a horribly jarring cameo which broke my attention (not to mention the fourth wall) at such a crucial time.

In conclusion, actually loved the "ending", just thought that overall it could have been delivered a whole lot better.

#56 2009-03-28 01:47:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

I sometimes do wonder if the pair of you systematically disregard the posts that I make regarding 24 and just come here and post about other shows instead...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#57 2009-03-28 11:23:20

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

I sometimes do wonder if the pair of you systematically disregard the posts that I make regarding 24 and just come here and post about other shows instead...

Roughly translated thats "Daniel, Steve, would you like to share that with the rest of the class"

Sorry J_A, it's obviously slightly demotivating to discuss 24 when your always an episode behind.

#58 2009-03-28 16:43:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

you're right in interpreting the comment tongue

and come on, I've been MONTHS behind on each season until now, dan, and have always tried to comment after I'd seen the eps, even though it was very likely that most of you all who had seen it so much before I did wouldn't feel like discussing it anymore. you're just ONE week behind...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#59 2009-03-28 16:59:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Sorry J_A, your ofcourse right, though I do think being just a WEEK behind is some a little worse since your "almost" up to date but never quite are.

Back on BSG Steve, the Mixed comments from this article pretty much sum up my thoughts http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/the-best-and-worst-online.php

#60 2009-03-28 17:28:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol. yeah I getcha. but you do know there are possibilities of watching the eps and BEING up to date without downloading them? I know I mentioned a couple of websites to you earlier where you could just watch streaming video of the eps - no downloads, no illegal issues involved.

tony.jpg

#61 2009-04-16 23:00:51

Nero

Hey Dan and Steve, just started on BSG and I've finished Season 1, really enjoying it so far.

I just wanted to know if either of you guys had seen the Pilot episode for Caprica yet?

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

...I Could Float Here Forever...

#62 2009-04-17 14:40:27

hardy24
Administrator
Website

No, i've not seen Caprica yet. Will probably see it on DVD or Itunes after the 21st.

#63 2009-04-17 23:24:03

Nero

I watched the pilot the other day, it was pretty. It definitely has alot of potential. Its interesting from the stand point of going back and seeing how everything started. The last 15 - 20 minutes were excellent.

I'll talk more about it once you've seen it.

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

...I Could Float Here Forever...

#64 2009-04-30 20:54:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Nero, i've just finished watching the Pilot.

Very interesting, although for a long time I was two obsessed with how it linked with Battlestar history and Canon - mostly because I think if you look hard a few things don't make sense, although that is just a sense.

But when I let that go, and actually looked at as simply a new show, it works so much better.

Excited to see the series proper when it starts, although I do fear they have burned through too much material in the opening 90 minutes, and it may not leave enough ground to cover. Can "it's not ethical", "but it could work", "oops, there's a problem", "oh, we might still be in business" (rinse repeat as needed) really fill out another 18 episodes?

But yes, overall enthralling and I will be back for more.

Board footer