24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-11 12:18:45

Steveb

Re: Battlestar Galactica - Final Season

Very good episode after a slight drop in pace last week. The Demtrius mission does make sense and the opening few minutes were taut, sharp classic bsg. The purpose of the final five suddenly has some clarity to it, and it'll be interesting to see what they do next. Still not entirely sure about the Baltar storyline, it seems to be a lot of rhetorical speeches with no direction at the moment, but I'm sure they know what they're doing!

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#27 2008-05-11 19:56:55

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

The purpose of the final five suddenly has some clarity to it, and it'll be interesting to see what they do next.

With the pace the hunt for earth is going, i'm thinking "and they find earth" is not going to be the last act of the last episode. It actually wouldn't shock me if it's at the end of episode 10 that they get there.

Still not entirely sure about the Baltar storyline, it seems to be a lot of rhetorical speeches with no direction at the moment, but I'm sure they know what they're doing!

I think that it's the nature of storytelling like this that sometimes you have to revert to a different view point in order to get key players of the next phase in place. I believe Laura and Baltars stories will merge quite importantly somewhere in the near future.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#28 2008-05-14 19:08:16

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, if you haven't already been, i'd highly recommended listening to Ronald D. Moore's episode commentaries, which you can get as a podcast from itunes, just search for Battlestar Galactica.

#29 2008-05-17 09:59:32

Steveb

I haven't had a chance to look for them yet. Just watched episode 7 though and it's superb. After a couple of slow weeks this episode builds brilliantly and then delivers a fantastic final ten minutes. I'll wait until I know you've seen it to say anymore, but I think this is my favourite episode of this season so far.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#30 2008-05-17 10:30:05

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I probably won't get to see episode 7 until late tonight, which is a shame since i'm really looking forward to it now.

#31 2008-05-17 16:59:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, just seen 4x07, wow, first off I love how the texture on the show develops, doing things with characters which they couldn't have done at any previous point in the shows timeline, and yet in this moment in time feels excatly right. How ever well this show finishes i'm gonna seriously miss it.

Anyway, thoughts, Gaeta suddenly becomes a lot more interesting again, I seriously thought he would be fine after being shot, that it was simply an action beat for the previous episode, but no yet again i've underestimated the show.

Athena reliving the vision in real life, almost beat for beat was well done, although I think the one misstep for this episode was her shooting Natalie (think thats what they've been calling rebel leader 6) when she did, it was a release of tension when actually it just wanted to continue to build it up I felt.

Everything else was top notch.

And the show continues to get just about every bit of tension and excitement from the story without ever feeling like their stalling or moving it sideways.

#32 2008-05-17 18:08:55

Steveb

Particularly with the singing and the way in which the episode ended, I'm wondering if Gaeta is the fifth cylon. Either that was the revelation or there's going to be one hell of a twist coming.

The baseship vanishing also threw me completely, particularly with the President and Baltar onboard. This could be the point where those two stories finally gain some meaning.

Can see what you mean about the shooting- it was ruined slightly by it appearing in the credit montage, but I think it must have happened for a reason. Natalie (yeah I think that is what they've been calling her) is proving to be too pivotal a character for her to be killed completely, so I think we'll have to wait and see what they do there.

This series is moving towards a fantastic climax and as long as they keep doing what they're doing, there is no way it can fail to deliver.

#33 2008-05-17 18:30:06

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

Particularly with the singing and the way in which the episode ended, I'm wondering if Gaeta is the fifth cylon. Either that was the revelation or there's going to be one hell of a twist coming.

Yeah, I was waiting for him to start singing watchtower, and actually he's been my dark horse guess for the fifth cylon for a while for various reasons, which if proved correct i'll go into to show how much of a genius I am, if i'm wrong i'll quickly edit this post so theres no record of me being wrong.

Can see what you mean about the shooting- it was ruined slightly by it appearing in the credit montage, but I think it must have happened for a reason. Natalie (yeah I think that is what they've been calling her) is proving to be too pivotal a character for her to be killed completely, so I think we'll have to wait and see what they do there.

If the shooting is fatal, is there any chance of her downloading, I forget where we are with that.

This series is moving towards a fantastic climax and as long as they keep doing what they're doing, there is no way it can fail to deliver.

Yeah, at this point you just can't see it not delivering.

#34 2008-05-18 00:46:24

Steveb

Providing there's a ressurection ship in range she can still download- presumably the hub will do. However, they are setting out to destroy that so it depends on what happens first.

#35 2008-05-29 17:59:38

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, just seen episode 4x08 early since it was on Sky One earlier than in America. You seen it yet Steve, really interested to hear thoughts.

#36 2008-06-14 22:07:38

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, watch 4x10 as soon as possible.

#37 2008-07-13 09:15:06

Steveb

I've just sat down and watched 4x08 through to 4x10. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry! Two episodes that were basically putting the pieces in place for the third. Really enjoyed 4x08 if nothing else than for the return of Romo Lampkin, who I think is a fantastic character. Lee becoming President was something that had occurred to me months ago, so I wasn't too surprised by it.

4x09 was possibly the weakest of the three, but that's the equivalent to saying it was only very very good as opposed to excellent! The bringing together of Baltar and Roslin was again not a surprising move, but I think it's going to have more of an impact in the final ten episodes. I also get the impression we haven't seen the last of those pesky cylons- where would the fun be then?

And now to 4x10, I think it's possibly a contender for the best episode ever, would you agree Dan? Tension, romance, action and an ending that while not completely out of left-field was still brilliant. The cinematography of the final few minutes was fantastic, particularly the moving of focus from character to character and viewing their different reactions to the vista in front of them.

My favourite scenes across the three episodes have been those between Tigh and Adama, absolutely phenomenal chemistry between the two actors and some of the strongest writing I've seen in a while.

And now, several flipping months before the conclusion. Brilliant!

#38 2008-07-13 10:04:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I've just sat down and watched 4x08 through to 4x10. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry! Two episodes that were basically putting the pieces in place for the third. Really enjoyed 4x08 if nothing else than for the return of Romo Lampkin, who I think is a fantastic character. Lee becoming President was something that had occurred to me months ago, so I wasn't too surprised by it.

For me, Romo Lampkin's role in this episode was the disappointment of the season, shifts in his character really weren't explained, he wasn't the Romo I remembered from the end of last season. I was overjoyed when I heard he was coming back, but I kinda wish they hadn't bothered. I get the feeling this script was rushed a little to get it finished before the WGA strike. But I could be wrong.

4x09 was possibly the weakest of the three, but that's the equivalent to saying it was only very very good as opposed to excellent! The bringing together of Baltar and Roslin was again not a surprising move, but I think it's going to have more of an impact in the final ten episodes. I also get the impression we haven't seen the last of those pesky cylons- where would the fun be then?

For me 4x08 was the weakest, this had some interesting angles on the ongoing story.

And now to 4x10, I think it's possibly a contender for the best episode ever, would you agree Dan?

4x10 was a complete rollercoaster, I was a complete wreck after having watched it. From the low of Adamas gut wrenching reaction to Tigh's reveal, to the complete edge of your seat suspense at Lee taking charge in a time of crisis and the thought he might actually air lock them. To the absolute high of them actually finding earth!!! To the crushing end. I've not watched the episode again yet because it took so much out of me to watch first time round.

I think yeah, it's a contender for best episode ever, though I have a feeling 4x20 will be at the same level, so lets say 4x10 is the best episode ever ... so far.

The cinematography of the final few minutes was fantastic, particularly the moving of focus from character to character and viewing their different reactions to the vista in front of them.

Absolutely. There has been much debate over exactly what part of earth their standing on, many believe the view is that of New York, but I think it's to hard to tell. 

And now, several flipping months before the conclusion. Brilliant!

Yeah, you've got to have the patience of a saint to watch this show.

Anyway, care to make some predictions about what on earth (no pun intended, it just happened) is going on?

I'm fairly convinced that possibly some time had passed between the fleeting entering into orbit around earth, and the final scene of 4x10.

I'm also hoping 4x20 doesn't end with a "hitchhikers ending (right planet, wrong time period)"

#39 2008-07-21 01:08:27

Steveb

Having rewatched the entire season four so far, I'm really excited by the way things have been built up. I think the most important character is possibly Baltar as his arc still has a lot of free threads whereas many others seem more straightforward.

On rewatching 4x08 I do take slight issue with Lampkin's reappearance, for the seen where he holds the gun to Lee. It almost seems like 10 minutes had been cut out of the episode for no apparent reason.

I read that 4x20 is going to be a three hour episode as Ronald D. Moore has so much he needs/ wants to put in the story. I wonder if we'll know the final cylon by then or whether the reveal will wait until that final story.

#40 2009-01-26 20:57:46

Steveb

Now season four is airing again thought it would be time to ressurect this thread. What did you think of 4x11 Dan?

Nicely paced, great cinematography and at least two wtf moments, oh and a fantastic cliffhanger. Looks like Galactica's back to me.

#41 2009-01-26 23:16:47

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I saw this last week, and to be honest i'm still trying to make up my mind.

The episode was very well put together, the acting was brilliant and all the reveals "fit", but somewhere in the middle of the episode it lost me just a little, it was all a little to calculated, it lost that glint in it's eye.

But i'm willing to chalk all those things up to two things. First this episode was filmed during the WGA strike, so they just had time to finish the script and go "we're off, just make the best episode you can, but don't bother calling us about it", that plus really this is a mid season episode, not a season premiere that sci-fi and sky one have tried to advertise it as.

I'm hoping this was just the slightly "off" episode for this final run.

Don't mean to sound to down on this episode, in truth Dualla's suicide left me very cold.

But i'd be interested to hear the other side to these thoughts.

#42 2009-01-27 00:19:52

Steveb

I didn't honestly see the point to her suicide other than to shock the viewers into remembering what they were watching. The intention, I'd assume was to show how the failure of Earth to be what they wanted it to be had deeply and profoundly scarred all involved, but why kill Dualla when Roslin is having a breakdown and there are soldiers crying in the corridors. It didn't really achieve anything.

The flashbacks to the previous lives of the cylons was nicely done, and I'm hoping we see more of this as I think the backstory of earth is going to prove immensely important. Plus Ellen's death is obviously a key factor somehow. Interestingly the "Last Supper" image has a cup next to Tigh, which someone on the Tv.com boards suggested might represent Ellen being poisoned.

I'm about to watch 4x12 so hopefully there will be a few more revelations.

#43 2009-01-27 06:47:29

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Glad i'm not the only one when it comes to Dualla.

And yes, the flashbacks where very well done.

#44 2009-01-29 22:56:53

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, seen episode 2 yet?

Just watched it, many thoughts, but i'll hold off until you've seen it as well.

#45 2009-01-31 14:27:50

Steveb

I managed to watch it last night. My first thought was filler, but in typical BSG style, very clever filler. Love the direction of the Zarek/ Gaeta plotline, I'd guess that's going to be the big thing for the final run in and would also explain the image of Adama blindfolded that Sky One are playing for all its worth.

Not enough cylon development yet for my liking. I appreciate it's going to need a slow burn, but 4x11 seemed to be setting up the importance of their origins but it was completely ignored in this episode. Also announcing that Nicky is Hotdog's not Tyrol's surely undid a lot of their hard work rather than benefitting it.

Those are my very garbled initial thoughts. I'm going to rewatch it again and see if I can make a bit more sense of it.

#46 2009-01-31 16:54:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Nicky not being Tyrol's is a great small example with what I thought was wrong with the episode. It smacked of something they might have done in season 2 or 3 to create a bit of tension to play out, but really it didn't fit.

Zarek's political manouvering was the most interesting point because really that what I was looking for, someone with a plan, someone pointing in a direction, any direction, someone standing up and being counted. Obviously Zarek is doing it in a less noble way, but I can completely understand why he is finding support. He's the only one giving an opinion of how to proceed.

#47 2009-01-31 17:09:20

J_A
Administrator
Website

at least you've found SOMETHING to talk about! lol.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#48 2009-02-07 10:04:30

Steveb

Watched "The Oath" last night. More than makes up for a couple of weak episodes. Possibly one of the most tense episdes ever, and a brilliant cliffhanger.

#49 2009-02-07 12:12:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah I saw the Oath on Thursday, better, solid episode, and the cliffhanger was quite something, but I must say i'm still not on the edge of my seat like I expected to be throughout these episodes.

Having said that there is defintely an upward curve.

I think the most interesting thing is that the "revolution" has come to overthrow the establishment, and Baltar isn't behind it, indeed just seems to want to be left alone in piece, he have been quite happy with the status quo, if there was any status quo left after finding earth.

Prediction for the next episode if I may, but honestly a guess, I don't actually know, ... Adama is badly injured but still alive, Tigh is killed as far as we understand the term but he simply leaves the galactica "life" for another where Ellen is waiting for him. What he remembers when he gets there is the real question.

#50 2009-02-13 21:53:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen the latest episode, it's getting stronger, and rather intriguingly instead of getting even crazier as it heads towards it's finish (i'm looking at you Lost) it seems to have very clearly re focused on the characters, it's been doing it since this new batch of episodes started, the "grand plan" stuff seems less important to it now, now it's about the natural instinicts of the characters - what would they do in this situation, choices is the watchword of the run so far, "fate" has gone out the window sort out.

Now this realisation has clicked, the previous episodes I wasn't quite sure about suddenly make more sense.

Board footer