24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-25 18:42:38

Steveb

The Dark Knight

I'm hoping other people have seen this already and that I'm not the only one who saw this on the first day. I also decided to add to the atmosphere by going at the latest showing possible just so I could watch this at night.

One word: Sublime.

While everything will be made of Ledger's performance- and rightly so- there isn't a bad performance in this film, with Bale giving what could be the most under-rated performance of the year. Although personally for me, Gary Oldman stands out as being the best, nicely understated but at the same time bringing the necessary menace that Gordon has to convey.

The action sequences are amazing- love the Joker's reactions at the end of the end of teh hospital scene.

It'll be intriguing to see where they go with the presumably inevitable third film. I'm thinking Catwoman, but who knows.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#2 2008-07-25 19:54:15

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: The Dark Knight

I've not seen it yet, holding out for a time when I can go with my brother. But really I just have to see it, it's my one must see film for the summer.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-07-25 20:52:26

Past Present Fortune

You beat me to making this topic, LOL... anyway:

The Dark Knight was definitely one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, it contained all of the emotions needed to make a movie great as well as the explosive action sequences not to mention amazing performances delivered including Heath Ledgers (R.I.P.) flawless performance.

This film simply can't be missed, if you haven't seen this movie or have doubts about it... I'm telling you all now, you will not be dissapointed with this movie.

#4 2008-08-11 12:29:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, so I finally found the time to go see this Yesterday. Brilliant, as I always knew it would be.

Steveb wrote:

While everything will be made of Ledger's performance- and rightly so- there isn't a bad performance in this film

On Ledger's performance, it's terribly hard to judge just how good a performance it is, for me he definitely blows Jack Nicholson's Joker clean out the water, and he does steal most of the show here, but I can't help but feel the movie is set up that way, certainly the script is, can you remember them giving Ledger more than a few lines that weren't gems?. But clearly it's still a very special performance, which weaves between menacing and showmanship. You mentioned the hospital explosion, thats a great example, where Ledger's performance in that scene has me laughing till my sides hurt at a joke where a massive, destructive, insanely violent act is the punch line.

There are even moments I started to root for the Joker, certainly I didn't hate or despise him. There were even moments I admired his intelligence, his plan, in much the same way I admire and unknowingly defend Baltar in Battlestar Galactica. Ofcourse the reality of the Joker's actions brings you back to the big picture, but the point is that you simply have flashes where you "connect" for lack of a better word with the Joker, when you share the joke and laugh along with him, you effectively become one of his accomplices who he will undoubtedly double cross, and you've fallen for the same trick that all those around the Joker do and who you could quickly label as "stupid" or "naive". Which then leaves you open for Batman, Gordon and Two-Face to deliver the films message. That Batman is the hero you deserve, but not the hero you need.   

Not even some of the bit part players let this film down. Even people who have two minutes at the start of the film do a very professional job, at it's usually the "scene setters", the early small roles who have to spout a fair bit of exposition that can let a film like this down as they descend into cliche so easily. But not here. Everyone is on game.

Bale giving what could be the most under-rated performance of the year.

Not sure about that, I think the most under rated performance of the film is Maggie Gyllenhaal, i've not heard much praise for her in the reviews, and she pulls off a very solid performance, playing a role that has been recast, surely the producers where wondering "why didn't we cast here for the first one?", she makes the character of Rachel so much more believable than Katie Holmes who never found a happy medium between the strong female lawyer and damsel in distress.

Although personally for me, Gary Oldman stands out as being the best, nicely understated but at the same time bringing the necessary menace that Gordon has to convey.

It's hard to disagree with you though, Oldman is excellent. 

It'll be intriguing to see where they go with the presumably inevitable third film. I'm thinking Catwoman, but who knows.

My Dad thinks the Joker should return in the third film, simply recast, which I quite frankly would a) would hideously devalue Ledger's performance, b) be a poisoned chalice that no actor could take, and c) simply not happen thanks to a. and b.

There are many cries for the third film to use villians which haven't previously been seen in the films. And certainly I think the producers will make the right choice of villians to complement the "Batman, public enemy number 1" storyline for the third film them seemed to be setting up at the end of this film. For me, I simply have to ask, why make 3? (apart from the obvious), I really honestly think they won't top the Dark Knight, and if they do top it, they'll do it by taking a step back and not jumping straight back on the horse like they did after Begins.

Thoughts?

#5 2008-08-16 10:18:39

Steveb

Both Chris Nolan and Christian Bale have said that they want to complete the trilogy but only if the other is involved. That's a fairly reasonable decision I think, as long as the stick with the formula and have it as Batman facing his own demons personified in the form of some villainous figure.

Basically avoiding the Marvel syndrome of changing cast and crew and over-complicating things that both X-men and Spiderman succumbed to.

The "public enemy number one" idea would work nicely as long as the had the villain to match, although unfortunately I think they've already used him. Harvey Dent would be the perfect foil for Batman as it stands. A friend of mine argued that they could use The Penguin in the same vain as Tim Burton did, but I don't think it'll work as he's too unrealistic for Nolan's universe.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#6 2008-08-16 10:29:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

Both Chris Nolan and Christian Bale have said that they want to complete the trilogy but only if the other is involved. That's a fairly reasonable decision I think, as long as the stick with the formula and have it as Batman facing his own demons personified in the form of some villainous figure.

Star and Director stick together, so their doing a Damon-Greengrass stance on it then?

The "public enemy number one" idea would work nicely as long as the had the villain to match, although unfortunately I think they've already used him. Harvey Dent would be the perfect foil for Batman as it stands. A friend of mine argued that they could use The Penguin in the same vain as Tim Burton did, but I don't think it'll work as he's too unrealistic for Nolan's universe.

Yeah, I think the Penguin is too unrealistic for Nolan's version, even given a make over.

Rumours abound that 3 will see the Riddler and Catwoman. I'm not sure about Catwoman translating to Nolan's version either really. The Riddler I could see, and it could perhaps fit with the probable theme, but then perhaps Nolan might worry about sticking "too-much" to the formula.

It's an interesting debate, but unfortunately I don't know enough about the comics to have a good overview of the possibilities.

#7 2008-08-17 10:13:33

Steveb

Likewise. I read the empire blog on who should appear in third one and it makes for interesting reading. They seem to be championing the catwoman/ riddler affair. I can't find the link but it's in amongst all their dark knight stuff so have a look on the site if you're interested.

It;s nice to see them doing the Damon/ Greengrass thing. For one it shows that they're more interested in the quality rather than the money and also suggests that they've put a lot of thought into the existing films that relied on them working closely together.

#8 2008-09-01 19:46:59

24nut
Website

This film in my opinion is one of the best i have seen, really really good.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

Board footer