24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-24 19:59:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

I scream, you scream, we all scream....

if your mind has just spontaneously added: "...for a non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle!" to the end of the thread title, then you're definitely an X-Phile, and I wonder why you haven't started a thread on the X files movie yet! wink

it's coming out here today, and as the film comes out, so do the critics creep out from underneath their desks and drag their backsides to the press viewings, sit in the first ten minutes of the movie and then snake back home on their sleazy stomachs, start up their i-book and write terrible reviews designed to kill the desire in any and every reader to go see the movie. But a real X-Phile doesn't believe in critics, a real X-Phile wants to believe that TXF are untouchable, a real X-Phile knows that the critic has never watched the show, and that he cannot appreciate the X-Phile's addiction to the show, a real X-Phile knows that the critic doesn't feel that warm fuzzy sensation in the pit of his stomach when the X files theme starts to play and that he doesn't start drooling at the first sight of fox mulder (who had even asked his own mother to call him mulder) and that even if the critic writes that gillian and david seem unmotivated on screen, it is only because the critic is cranky about having to miss the final race in the world championships in chicken run just to see a movie about aliens and severed arms that no-one believes in anyway. Right? RIGHT?

If you have been nodding all the way through this megagigantically long sentence, then I bet my non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle that you're planning on seeing "The X Files : I want to believe" as soon as it opens in your town, and hope that you'll come back here to discuss it! and I also bet that you don't care about the bad review that the above-mentioned critic has written, but I'll copy paste my own free translation / summary of the article anyway, simply because it's been done, so why not!

[If you weren't nodding during the aforementioned paragraph, then why are you reading this thread anyway? you're probably not an X-Phile to begin with?]

for all those who care, beware of slight spoilers in the article! but it's nothing worse than what the trailer tells us anyway.

Gillian anderson and david duchovny are back as fbi agents scully and mulder. A disappointing comeback.

Sorry, Mr. chris carter. you created a successful tv series years ago and even managed to make a movie out of it, but this newest comeback of scully and mulder is something no-one has been waiting for.

then the writer questions whether the second movie came out because david and gillian had nothing else to do, or because chris carter had no ideas, or because FOX wants to revive the cult so that they can sell more DVDs, but whichever it is, "The x files: I want to believe" is a disappointment in every aspect. it lacks suspense and a script to make a simple story worthy of the big screen: an FBI agent has been kidnapped. The former reverand and convicted pederast crissman says he's been having visions of the missing woman and leads the police to a severed male arm in the ice. strange enough, alright, so mulder and scully are called in on the case. but while the two of them are still questioning whether crissman is for real, the killiing more and more appears to be the work of a serial killer. the deeper Mulder and Scully get into the case, the more they have to question their own faith and their "self-image".

then he says that the winter setting isn't exactly inviting, as little inviting, in fact as gillian's and david's unmotivated acting. he adds that he's ok with putting in a minimum of everything in order to create some tension. but this movie takes that principle too far, which makes the viewer feel betrayed, especially cause of the crude twists and too obviously fishing-for-effects shocking moments [does this remind anyone else of 24 or just MFL and me?].

To sum up: "The x-files: i want to believe" would like to be great cinema. what comes out is at best a mystery story on a conventional TV level.

The Z Files instead of X files.

Sound off.
Thoughts?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2008-07-25 17:43:55

M F Luder

Re: I scream, you scream, we all scream....

Oh, I'm absolutely psyched. Can't wait to see it next Friday when it opens here. Went to pick up the tickets today. I do get that warm and fuzzy feeling again, seeing the trailers and stuff. Ahhh, it's all coming back to me now.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#3 2008-07-25 17:56:20

J_A
Administrator
Website

hehe. yeah I checked today which theaters will be showing it . unfortunately it's not going to be in the prettiest one where I like to go (and where I watched Mamma Mia and the SATC movie). I wonder if they'll maybe also show it in a few weeks, when the ABBA movie moves to a smaller hall. but then again, can I wait a few weeks? the movie opened here already, but I'm waiting for a colleague to come back from vacation, so we can go together. my guess is we'll go tuesday big_smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2008-07-25 20:16:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

the X-files, a show I always thought I should like, but I could never get into. Nothing wrong with it, just left me cold.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#5 2008-07-25 22:37:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh well, sh*t happens, dan! I know I don't need to tell you that! wink! unfortunately, we can't all be X-Philes. I can say with as much confidence as you state TXF left you cold that I never got into things like StarTreck and all that. it just does nothing for me...

one thing about TXF and 24, an interface if you will, is that the worst villain of TXF (at least in MFL's and my book), a character named Donnie is part of the 24's s7 cast, if I'm not mistaken, as some kind of FBI agent or so... it will be HARD if not impossible, to put that fact aside for us... every time we see that guy, it's the instant feeling of *shudder*...

tony.jpg

#6 2008-07-26 19:46:45

M F Luder

I won't hold it against you Dan wink:D. As for me, I never did get in to Star Trek either, but am still deep down a hardcore X-Phile.

What, Nick Chinlund on 24? Urgh, arghh. Oh no, I cannot see him as anyone else as the sick twister necrophile Donnie Phaster. Same guy who played a child molester on Con Air, IIRC. Just the thought of him makes me shudder.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#7 2008-07-27 00:46:14

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes, i just checked imdb. he is appearing in the first two episodes of season 7. it remains to be hoped that he'll die by the end of hour 2 wink. that is indeed the curse of a defining role like that... you stay in it forever in some people's minds... mine, too, btw. or will we ever stop seeing elements of jack bauer in every role kiefer plays outside of 24?.. I know I probably won't...

tony.jpg

Board footer