You are not logged in.

#51 2008-07-05 19:32:28

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Doctor Who - Series Four

Okay, so what did I get right

hardy24 wrote:

- 10 and Rose get one proper scene together, but ultimately Rose goes back to her reality.

Check

- 10 (DT) isn't the only Doctor we'll be seeing in this episode, atleast one other version (be it a previous, new or 'alternate') will appear and play a key role.

Check

- 10 makes it out but is forever changed.

Could be argued either way.

- Captain Jack meets "everlasting death"

Nope.

- Donna is infact actually a timelady, and regenerates

Hmm, close.

Liked
- Davros, very talented actor playing him, must search out his other work, the producers and casting couldn't have found anyone better I don't think, glad they resisted the urge to cast an a-list "thesp" in the role.
- Everything with the "children of time"
- Everything between the Doctor and Davros
- Dalek Ca-an.
- One of RTD's chessy OTT moments actually working in the "towing earth home"
- Finally making the link between the two Gwen's.
- So many companions, and it worked, more or less.
- Donna's "Gramps", he was amazing at the end.
- Doctor Donna.

Not Sure About
- The Doctor cheating a regeneration, I think RTD has tampered too much there, I wouldn't be too surprised if Moffat was a little uneasy about that.
- Donna having memories erased, that left a really bitter taste.
- Leaving a Doctor looking human to run around with Rose, hmm, not sure about that.
- A few too many loose ends.
- Some of the story logic was a bit "fuzzy"
- It didn't all the previous dalek stories together quite like i'd imagined or hoped.
- Ending a bit too "reset button".

Overall I did very much like it, especcially the meat of the episode, I was grinning through most of it.

Steve, thoughts?

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#52 2008-07-06 12:55:03

Steveb

Very much the same as yours Dan. Possibly the best season finale they've ever done, partly because it didn't rely on an irksome Deus ex machina, but actually had a very strong and taut confrontation with the two pivotal figures facing off.

Main thoughts:

-Loved and loathed the second Doctor thing, perhaps would have been better for at least one of them to regenerate in some manner rather than two DTs running around. Also fantastic mimicry on the part of Catherine Tate and David Tennant.
-I'm assuming that Mickey and Martha are going to be the new Torchwood team members.
-The fact that the doctor's team were all prepared to go genocidal was fantastic. The emotional crisis for teh doctor was played and written beautifully.
-Gwen bit very good, although not enough Torchwood for my liking. Felt like they couldn't quite work out how to bring the adult's show into the kid's show, so plot-deviced there way out of it.
-After all the hype, Rose felt slightly underused, but maybe that's just because there was so much going on.
-Julian Bleech was the Davros actor. Absolutely amazing. And yes Caan was phenomenal.

My only thought now is where do they go from here? Presumably, the Christmas special is going to be typically stand-alone, I've heard rumours of Cybermen.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#53 2008-07-06 13:42:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

-Loved and loathed the second Doctor thing, perhaps would have been better for at least one of them to regenerate in some manner rather than two DTs running around.

Yeah, that would have been better, I was hoping for "another doctor", maybe the return of 9

-I'm assuming that Mickey and Martha are going to be the new Torchwood team members.

Yeah, looks like that.

-The fact that the doctor's team were all prepared to go genocidal was fantastic. The emotional crisis for teh doctor was played and written beautifully.

That was perhaps one of my favourite parts of the episode.

My only thought now is where do they go from here? Presumably, the Christmas special is going to be typically stand-alone, I've heard rumours of Cybermen.

It's not a rumour anymore, after the credits they did a short teaser promising "the return of the cymbermen" with one short clip of them marching.

#54 2008-07-12 11:35:36

Steveb

Ah I didn't see that. The faults of watching it on i-player as opposed to live. Looks like Dervla Kerwin is in it. Is she the shoe-horned assistant for that episode do we think?

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#55 2008-07-12 13:35:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

Ah I didn't see that. The faults of watching it on i-player as opposed to live. Looks like Dervla Kerwin is in it. Is she the shoe-horned assistant for that episode do we think?

Yeah, it would appear, though i'm more excited about David Morrissey being in it.

Board footer