24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-12 23:22:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

The Great Music Debate

In response to something J_A said in another thread, thought I might start a discussion on music tastes.

So come on then, tell us, what music do you love and think everyone else is crazy if they don't love too? And what music do you think sounds like kids smashing pots and pans together in time with a butcher killing a cat? And what is alright, you'll listen to it if it's on the radio, but your not about to buy it on itunes.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-06-13 17:41:48

24nut
Website

Re: The Great Music Debate

Anyone seen High Fidelity, or read the book, this discussion reminds me of that, haha, my favourite bands/artists are:

Guns N' Roses
Led Zeppelin
Foo Fighters
Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Queen
AC/DC
Thin Lizzy
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Bob Dylan
Black Sabbath
Blues guitarists: Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, BB King
Incubus (Mike einziger, the guitarists is brilliant, as is Brandon Boyd on vocals)
Johnny Cash
Metallica

Im partial to guitar driven bands, and i like solo guitarists such as Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Brian May (his solo stuff, but i love queen).

And as for the pots and pans dan described:

Avenged Sevenfold
My Chemical Romance
Bullet for my valentine
Fall out boy
Panic at the disco
Paramore
And any band that represents bad music in this so called "emo" genre.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-06-13 17:42:28)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2008-06-13 19:16:22

Steveb

I find this really difficult to do, becasue every band I say I like/dislike will come with the caveat of "oh, apart from this song!" so I guess the best thing to do is list my absolute favourites, and some that I like a lot and then if I can think of any I really detest list those. So...

Top Favourties:

The Divine Comedy
The Feeling
Johnny Cash
Journey
Green Day
The Beatles
Beautiful South/ House Martins
Frank Sinatra/ The Rat Pack

Justice
Pendulum
MGMT
Snow Patrol
The Lightning Seeds
Pet Shop Boys
Foo Fighters

Dislikes (with the aforementioned caveat)

Madonna
Panic at the Disco (although mainly becasue I met them and they tried to steal my girlfriend of the time!)
Sheryl Crow

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#4 2008-06-13 20:38:42

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Oh, I guess I better go.

Favourites

Bob Dylan
The Beatles
Oasis
Coldplay
The Who

Franz Ferdinand
Queen
The Killers
James Blunt
Paolo Nutini
James Morrison
Feeder
Blur
Johnny Cash
and many more too many to list

Dislikes

Agree with most of what you both have listed, although I hate most R&B, Garage, etc etc, plus
Jack Johnson (him on a loop, my own personal hell) and again so much more.

My biggest problem is not being able to really decide how much I like things, and I'm quite likely to like albums instead of an artist. Also, my tastes are constantly changing, 5 years ago, I thought Muse were great, top stuff, now I want to rip my ears off when I hear it.

#5 2008-06-14 18:12:21

J_A
Administrator
Website

hehehe, well, the thread sure got started. let's hope you guys don't shoot all your bullets and then let the thread die. to prevent that, i'm gonna go bit by bit wink

i'll start off right now with just

+++
bon jovi
iron maiden
roxette
aerosmith
alice cooper
guns n roses back in the 80s/90s

lots of other hard rock stuff that i'll elaborate on later, cause now i should go revise for my swedish exam... and f**k and damn, sweden just lost to spain in soccer sad

I have been getting into coldplay lately, too. and every time I do hear them, i think of carlos bernard, cause he was an outspoken coldplay fan a while back (using the past tense here cause i'm not sure of his tastes now wink)

killing cat music:
most of jazz. and I absolutely friggin HATE celine dion

and stuff i don't care for
rap and most of today's pop but i'll admit i was part of the 80s pop, and hair metal generation / and still am loving most of it

will be back some other time to continue.

meanwhile, how did everyone get into their favorite bands?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-06-14 19:04:52

Steveb

Generally if I hear that I like, then I'll try and listen to some more of the band's stuff. This is probably why I like a lot of songs and albums rather than bands because I can hear one song on the radio and love it and then listen to the entire album and hate it. It's sort of like musical marmite.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#7 2008-06-14 19:46:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

Generally if I hear that I like, then I'll try and listen to some more of the band's stuff. This is probably why I like a lot of songs and albums rather than bands because I can hear one song on the radio and love it and then listen to the entire album and hate it. It's sort of like musical marmite.

Exactly, this is how I get into music, although often I feel abit like a bandwagon jumper hearing one song I like since often i've only heard it because it's got popular and it's everywhere.

jack_addict wrote:

and I absolutely friggin HATE celine dion

You know the one thing Celine Dion is good for?, .... , testing new stereo systems, seriously she's great for comparing the range of systems, I know it sounds odd.

jack_addict wrote:

meanwhile, how did everyone get into their favorite bands?

Favourite artist for me, Bob Dylan, was putting an itunes compliation album together for someone and heard Dylan's "Times They Are A-Chagin'", and I absolutely loved it, one of my all time favourite songs now, just really 'clicked' for me, anyway started listening to everything I could of Dylan's. This was whilst I was at Uni, came home to my parents for a bank holiday or something, told me Dad I was now really into Bob Dylan after hearing "Times they are..." and my Dad laughed out loud, and he then went to tell him how got into Dylan after hearing the same song on the radio some forty years ago, when he was 19 (same age I started listening to Dylan). It was kinda spooky.

Anyway, guessing you didn't actually want a novel?

#8 2008-06-14 20:38:28

J_A
Administrator
Website

there have to be three fave bands for me, so here goes my novel, with its three chapters:

chapter 1: roxette
heard, The Look, back in the early 80s. loved it, bought the Look Sharp record, saw how damn hot Per Gessle looked, fell in love with Roxette and Sweden instantly and still cherish both of my loves (even though Gessle has proved to be a perfect copycat songwriter as time went by, copying himself over and over again wink. still. I guess 1st love never dies. (and you do know I now speak swedish, right? wink)

chapter 2: bon jovi
same story, only I guess it was with Wanted... Dead or Alive.
still one of the best damn rock songs around. the National Anthem of the bon jovi land. and Richie Sambora still looks very good - even in his 40s (a thing that can't be said of Per Gessle, btw. he only looked good during the Look Sharp era, I guess...)

chapter 3: iron maiden
I think the way I got into iron maiden (and the whole NWOBHM thing) was cause there was this guy I had a crush on who listened to that stuff and I guess I checked it out. then there were songs I heard, then there was MFL, and my brother, and I guess I just kinda naturally grew into that. lead song here has got to be Hallowed Be Thy Name - even though there are literally dozens great songs. and the guitars are pure heaven.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#9 2008-06-14 20:43:30

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

LOL. dan, when did I EVER mind a comprehensive reply? big_smile

I loved hearing your getting into Dylan at the same age and with the same song as your dad. you're right, it IS kinda spooky big_smile. I like some Dylan stuff. btw, did you know that Dylan's Just Like A Woman was the first record that jon bon jovi bought as a kid? (no, you don't have to stop listening to dylan out of shame now tongue). a bit of a useless fact there, but you never know when a bit of trivia might come in handy (maybe on Who wants to be a millionaire?)

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

and I absolutely friggin HATE celine dion

You know the one thing Celine Dion is good for?, .... , testing new stereo systems, seriously she's great for comparing the range of systems, I know it sounds odd.

uhm... if someone tested her on my stereo, i'd probably throw the stereo out the window due to contamination tongue

as for songs on the radio, yes, that happens. i've never been the type to go out and look for a record based on just one song though. i just usually didn't do anything about it (i.e. not buy anything). nowadays with *cough* other means, I'll sometimes try to get my hands on that one song. albums, I usually buy from bands I'm already trusting with my stereo wink. I know, not the best way to discover new stuff - I suppose I do that by checking out my brother's stuff. he shows me new rock bands all the time big_smile

btw, my brother calls the process of getting to like a song you've originally hated just because it gets loads of radio airplay "brainwashing" - I guess he's right (and it did happen to me a few times, too... you see how their strategy works.)

tony.jpg

#10 2008-06-14 22:06:19

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

LOL. dan, when did I EVER mind a comprehensive reply? big_smile

Hmm, never I guess.

I loved hearing your getting into Dylan at the same age and with the same song as your dad. you're right, it IS kinda spooky big_smile.

Thankfully other musical tastes of my Dad's such as Cliff Richard and Carole King haven't been hardwired into my genome to be activated later up hearing a trigger song, ... atleast I hope not.

I like some Dylan stuff. btw, did you know that Dylan's Just Like A Woman was the first record that jon bon jovi bought as a kid? (no, you don't have to stop listening to dylan out of shame now tongue).

I actually don't mind some of Bon Jovi's stuff.

uhm... if someone tested her on my stereo, i'd probably throw the stereo out the window due to contamination tongue

Fair enough, my ears seem to have an inbuilt filter to "celine dionness", I can listen to 90 seconds every 15 months without my head exploding.

#11 2008-06-15 09:19:53

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Fair enough, my ears seem to have an inbuilt filter to "celine dionness", I can listen to 90 seconds every 15 months without my head exploding.

lol. hmm, yeah i think i'd survive that much. but truth of the matter is, if i hear her on the radio i rush to the stereo and change the channel as fast as i can.

bon jovi is something that is in my blood I guess, never to leave. but I will concede that their new stuff isn't nearly as good as it was. i'm one of those still clinging to the 80s / 90s era. i especially don't like the country approach they've taken with the last album.
can you name any of the BJ stuff that you "don't mind", dan?

tony.jpg

#12 2008-06-15 15:49:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

can you name any of the BJ stuff that you "don't mind", dan?

Someday i'll be Saturday night & Livin on a Prayer, are the two that immediately spring to mind, there are probably a few more, but that era of Bon Jovi that I quite like.

#13 2008-06-15 19:11:32

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm.yes, livin on a prayer is a classic of course smile

and although I wouldn't quite call Saturday night the same era as LOAP, they do fall into the time of when BJ were best in my book, LOAP being the later 80s and Sat night just after Keep the faith. after that they kinda got... uhm.. modern wink. lol.

jokes aside, jon does always take pride in saying that they do develop as time goes by, that they don't play the same song over and over again on each record, and that's true. they take some bold steps, even if some of us core fans don't like them (hm. does that remind me of something else the core of the fans has problems with?...). somehow, with BJ, as long as they keep coming back with some rock I'll grant them the excursions wink.

any thoughts on bands always sounding the same? do you get bored with them or do you keep buying their records cause you say you know what you get? (e.g. the stones, or ac/dc. i think they're prime examples of this)

tony.jpg

#14 2008-06-17 19:30:19

Past Present Fortune

Unlike many of you on these forums I love many different types of music such as rock, rap and even the occasional pop.
A few of my favorites are:

* Linkin Park
* Fort Minor
* Aerosmith
* Evanescence
* Nickleback
* 2Pac
* Lupe Fiasco
* Lil Wayne
* Jay-Z...
...and many others.

As you can see I have an insane mix of different types of music in my favorites, some would even say a bizarre mix but I think I'm open-minded.

Anyone else here like me?

#15 2008-06-17 22:05:12

J_A
Administrator
Website

Past Present Fortune wrote:

Unlike many of you on these forums I love many different types of music such as rock, rap and even the occasional pop.

hmm, does that mean that makes you a better person than the rest of us?

gee, why didn't I think of that. add some hip-hop into the mix and whoosh, I'm open-minded... heck, life's much easier than I thought!

tony.jpg

#16 2008-06-19 19:55:26

M F Luder

Past Present Fortune wrote:

...but I think I'm open-minded.

Anyone else here like me?

Watch the tone, Past Present. That can be almost considered a personal attack and already is condencending. Just because everyone doesn't like some type of music doesn't mean that they do not like many types. And it does not give you the right to draw conclusions.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#17 2008-06-19 20:02:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah exactly. especially since no-one said we listen to one and only one type of music... or do you consider roxette, bon jovi, and iron maiden the same type?...

anyway, back on topic. I had lef this question hanging in the air above:

any thoughts on bands always sounding the same? do you get bored with them or do you keep buying their records cause you say you know what you get? (e.g. the stones, or ac/dc. i think they're prime examples of this)

tony.jpg

#18 2008-06-20 07:39:04

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

Oh yeah, you might call it "second album syndrome", so many bands seem to produce very strong debut albums and then go on to produce second albums that offer nothing new to the formula.

#19 2008-06-20 11:24:07

Steveb

The word Toploader springs to mind...

#20 2008-06-20 18:58:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

hhm.. toploader. i think they went on tour with bryan adams or with roxette at some point. in any case, some band that I'd seen live. I wasn't even aware that they'd had more than one record. remind me of the one hit I probably know by them?

on a bit different topic, I bought myself Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio DVDs and am watching them right now. Now, THAT's a good concert! I had the honor of seeing them live a couple years back. if they hadn't been about twice as expensive this summer, I'd have gone and seen them again. Maiden ROCKS big_smile

tony.jpg

#21 2008-06-20 19:16:30

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

hhm.. toploader. i think they went on tour with bryan adams or with roxette at some point. in any case, some band that I'd seen live. I wasn't even aware that they'd had more than one record. remind me of the one hit I probably know by them?

A Cover of Dancing In The Moonlight

#22 2008-06-20 21:45:20

J_A
Administrator
Website

true. dancing in the moonlight! now I have it in my head. lol.

so are you guys gonna add anything to the Great Music Debate? or do I ask the questions and wait for your replies? wink

tony.jpg

#23 2008-07-10 21:51:00

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok ok. update.

last night, I went to see one of the old masters of rock. and the guy completely sweeped everyone off their feet. he's a legendary (shock) rocker, and turned 60 this year. still, if you ask me, his show kicks some serious a*s. and to be perfectly honest, he could kick many younger (or even older) bands arses. who am I talking about? of course, the one and only

ALICE COOPER.

though the show finished 24 hours ago, I'm still on an Alice high and can't get enough. lol. youtube and CDs are my saviour right now! and despite the fact that I haven't slept in 40 hours. hmm. I'm starting to sound like Jack. lol

well, time to call this (double) day a day and head to bed, hoping to catch some serious zzz's. but I had to write this up quickly. it was an amazing show. and I'm glad I went. it was worth every penny and every sleepless hour wink

he had his daughter with him who must be a ballet dancer - judging by her performance. it was a perfect show, and it was so cute when he - in the end - while introducting everyone, introduced her as "And this is my little girl". I was ready to go "awww", even despite all the "violence" and "blood" spilled during the show. and he'd even brought his guilliotine back again - apparently on the last tour he wasn't allowed to? something like that. well, he decapitated himself again - and I couldn't believe I'd finally gotten to see it - yes, I'd wanted to go for the last 20 years. never quite made it. till now.

Alice rocks. No. ALICE ROCKS!

there, I said it wink

tony.jpg

#24 2008-10-29 13:33:46

Nero

Okay Lets see this is what pops into my head at the moment and in no particular order the list is probably longer then I put down as well

Top Bands -

Circa Survive
Black Mesa
Fear Before The March Of Flames
Jeer At Rome
Audience Of One
High And Driving
Anthony Green
30 Seconds To Mars
The Smashing Pumpkins
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Muse
Chevelle
Alexisonfire
Moving Mountains
Katatonia
Kou Shibasaki
Down I Go
mewithoutYou
Portishead
Porcupine Tree
The Devil Wears Prada
Mark Snow
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Bring Me The Horizon
Daft Punk
Maps And Atlases
Modest Mouse
The Postal Service
Poison The Well
Minus The Bear
Deftones
Mono
World's End Girlfriend
Team Sleep
Norma Jean
The Number 12 Looks Like You
Thrice
Gaslamp Quarter
The Truth About Comets
Akira Yamaoka
Gackt
Do As Inifinity
Miyavi
Phantasmagoria
Luna Sea
L'Arc~en~cie
Zonel
65dayofstatic
Russian Circles
This Will Destroy You
City And Colour
Fightstar
Trivium (A mixture here, some stuff is really good, some stuff is terrible)
Bullet For My Valentine (Good first album, train wreck of a second album.)

Stuff That Sucks Big Time -

Rap
Hip Hop
Punk
My Chemical Romance
Panic! At The Disco (Seriously who puts an exclamation mark halfway through their name???)
Fallout Boy

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

...I Could Float Here Forever...

#25 2008-10-29 14:53:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol, my dear. i don't know any of those bands i think. i didn't read it too carefully but at first glance... lol

tony.jpg

Board footer