24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-19 18:23:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Kiefer Promises Best Season Yet

I'm a bit lazy today, so go read this - >> http://24fans.com/2008/05/kiefer-promises-best-season-yet/ and come back.

Apparently the delays in production etc has actually meant the writers mapped out the entire season before production started, and Kiefer says without hesitation it will be the best yet.

Which has a argument raging in my head, one half is jumping up and down and wanting to set up "countdown to S7 clocks" everywhere, while my inner cynic is going, "i've heard that before .... " and goes into a long rant which forces me to slap myself.

So, thoughts?

Oh, by the way, can we try to keep this just about S7 proper, and 24's prospects going forward, and we'll have the other thread for discussing the prequel.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-05-19 19:10:48

24nut
Website

Re: Kiefer Promises Best Season Yet

well it sounds promising, although i of course have the same thoughts going through my head, like you dan. I think that it could be a good thing, because it is obvious that some seasons they just dont know where they are going. But Season 1 was the best season and that wasn't planned past episode 8, so i think that this could play either way. We'll see...

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2008-05-19 20:18:16

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I honestly think forward planning really does lead to better 24, it's not neccesarily the only important thing, but it gives everything a more solid foundation and makes the other processes easier to get right.

I think perhaps my cynical attitude is asking, is it too late?, as the shows shelf life passed already.

Also, the more and more news I hear, the more i'm convinced Season Seven is make or break, if really is good then a real big franchise is born the size of The Simpsons, Star Trek etc etc. If it's a flop, then it's probably the final nail in the coffin, we won't see a eighth season.

#4 2008-05-19 23:40:18

24nut
Website

Season 7 is definatly make or break, im sure they must know this after the reviews they got with Season 6, i just hope they can learn from mistakes, learn from what great seasons they have allready made. Im not saying they should copy previous seasons plots, but they should definatly aim to beat previous seasons. I hope the forward planning will allow them to cut the senseless episosedes that have no point and maybe alieve the mid season slump.

Season 5 and 6 had some great moments, and most of those moments were the emotional, character driven scenes that were familiar back in seasons 1-3. Thats what im hoping for, hopefully the planning and Kiefer saying that its the best season yet is more than publicity.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-05-19 23:42:08)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2008-05-20 09:05:23

Steveb

I'd second that 24nut, the character based scenes arre one of 24's biggest strengths and I still maintain the biggest problem with the later seasons is the fact that characters just seemed to be thrown in and out without chance for anything in the way of development.

If they've mapped the whole season they should at least be able to give characters a decent plot arc.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#6 2008-05-20 09:13:13

J_A
Administrator
Website

i agree with you guys. it's make or break, I have the same two-way attitude as what dan and 24nut have been saying. and it's good that they've managed to actually plot out the whole thing. but the question here is, is plot itself enough? like steve mentioned, I think that character development is also important. we've had that in the early seasons, and if they can make us interested in CHARACTERS again, then I think I'll like it. I mean, plots come and go, and there are just so many terrorist plots you can come up with, and i think it is inevitable that they'll repeat themselves like they have before. but as long as they come up with decent people that you can sympathize with or hate etc, characters that evoke something in you, there's hope.

and I'll leave dan's words as a closing statement of mine, too:

I think perhaps my cynical attitude is asking, is it too late?, as the shows shelf life passed already.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#7 2008-06-13 10:27:42

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Not wanting to open up yet another new thread, and in the hope of reviving this one, i'll post this here, something which is also on the main page.

Spoilers your unlikely be able to avoid follow… Yes, following the casting of Robert Carlyle the shows producers have now lined up Jon Voight to be this years “uber-nemesis” (whatever that means), Voight will debut in the 2-hour prequel due in November, and then play a major role in the second half of the seventh season proper.

What do people think is this casting good news, or is it a sign that the seventh season will be all flash and no substance?

source : hollywoodreporter.com

Thoughts?, proof that Tony isn't really a baddie?, which would possibly be a good thing, or proof Tony isn't the the top Baddie?

#8 2008-06-13 18:52:19

Steveb

Jon freaking Voight!!! That's the best news since Robert Carlyle was announced! Uber-baddie... interesting. Methinks this can go one of three ways:

A) Tony is the onground henchman for this guy

B) Tony is being forced to work for this guy

C) Tony is working covertly (somehow) against this guy and terrorism isn't really his raison d'etre after all.

I'm pumping for C, although whichever way it goes it sounds promising.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#9 2008-06-14 18:05:55

J_A
Administrator
Website

not sure what to think about tony. but i hope that he has been given a more substantial role than a midlevel baddie, cause, hell, we all know what happens to those. i.e. Oh my Almeida, i hope that Steve's option A is wrong! as for proof that tony is anything in this context, well, it's a wait and see thing again. i'm not gonna believe anything till i see it. i can hardly believe he's crashing planes as it is.

jon voight, ok, so where's angelina jolie? wink. hey, thinking back to s1, we did have dennis hopper and it was all well. maybe, just maybe, this is their way of trying to get back to s1 quality, although, for that to happen, it'll take more than brilliant casting. as has been stated before, actors can only do so much with a bad plot or bad writing.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#10 2008-06-14 19:53:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I really am so muddled in my opinion of this, I guess if it's simply that there is this role which he happens to be perfect for then fine, but I have this nagging fear that it's a "oh, Jon said he'd be interested, could we write a role for him?" thing. Which historically is always gonna be a bit hit and miss, it becomes a bit too much about the famous actor then, almost like then celebrities go on The Simpsons and play themselves.

Man I really want to see some new 24 now, it would make everything so much clearer. Argh.

#11 2008-06-14 20:26:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

i do agree with you dan. it would be essential to know in which direction this has gone. or rather, what direction it's come from. I somehow feel like it might be the wrong way around, too.
I was going to say more, but I realize that whatever I might be adding would be repeating myself, so I'll just stop here.

Man I really want to see some new 24 now, it would make everything so much clearer. Argh.

yes, i'm getting there, too. though the fears and doubts are not leaving me even for a sec

tony.jpg

#12 2008-06-14 21:26:48

Steveb

I'd like to think that they had a character there and that they figured someone like him would have the ability to make it a truly brilliant villain rather than the flat two-dimensional ones of recent series.

I want him to be the next Ira Gaines. That's the benchmark in my book.

#13 2008-06-14 21:58:23

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I want him to be the next Ira Gaines. That's the benchmark in my book.

That would rock, and yes he is the benchmark, feeding Jon Voight the same kind of writing they gave Ira Gaines would defintely be a very very good thing.

#14 2008-06-15 08:08:24

Steveb

Actually might make a concession, as Ira Gaines is a hell of a level to reach. I'll be satisfied if he's the new Stephen Saunders. However, no lower than that.

#15 2008-06-15 08:14:30

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

Actually might make a concession, as Ira Gaines is a hell of a level to reach. I'll be satisfied if he's the new Stephen Saunders. However, no lower than that.

Hmm, how about somewhere in between Gaines and Saunders?

#16 2008-06-15 09:12:21

J_A
Administrator
Website

i hope you guys are right. that would be awesome. i doubt that they'll ever reach an ira gaines again. but what's wrong with saunders? wink. the guy was good enough alright.

tony.jpg

#17 2008-06-16 16:44:10

M F Luder

jack_addict wrote:

but what's wrong with saunders? wink. the guy was good enough alright.

lol:lol: For some reason that just cracked me up. And I do agree with the statement *grin*.

As for Voight and Tony's possible role: the uber-baddie thing does have a bad ring to me, as we know the past. I do hope that as far as Tony goes, it's the last option that Steve presented. Since, if it's A, we all know he won't survive the day if Voight's character is pulling the strings. And as for B, I don't see there being any way to force Tony to work for them, as pretty much the only reason for that on the personal level is gone, IMNSHO. I still don't think he'd do that *again* if it's the whole civilian casualties angle.One more thing against option A, I really don't see Tony working as a midlevel henchman or even 2IC with his knowledge of the system. We know he has more than just a small independent streak when it comes to accepting orders, or had anyhow.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#18 2008-06-20 11:39:23

Steveb

I still don't see Tony being a villain, the writer's have made some mistakes in the past but they aren't that stupid surely. I think it's the typical lure the viewers in with something and then turn their expectations about 40 minutes in. Remember last year with all the "Jack Bauer must Die" nonsense they were advertising at every turn?

What intrigues me is how Provo will tie in with s7, do we think Jon Voight and Robert Carlyle are going to be connected in some way?

#19 2008-06-20 13:08:53

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I still don't see Tony being a villain, the writer's have made some mistakes in the past but they aren't that stupid surely. I think it's the typical lure the viewers in with something and then turn their expectations about 40 minutes in. Remember last year with all the "Jack Bauer must Die" nonsense they were advertising at every turn?

Yeah, I guess that lasted till the end of the first episode didn't it. Also, Season 5's "Jack Bauer, the most wanted man alive", not sure how long that lasted, but no more than 4 episodes.

#20 2008-06-20 18:55:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm. i'll buy you all ice cream if you're right. I hope you are. I still hope they have some sense of decency left. refusing to believe almeida has turned. he's not saunders. it's just you know... the trust in the writers.. but we'll see. if only 2009 weren't so far away still...

tony.jpg

Board footer