24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-15 11:27:56

bubbleboy

24 inspires torture and racism?

There's a really interesting article about how 24 inspired the US government and military to use torture and how it represents Arabs and Muslims badly. I don't know how much I agree but it's worth a read/comment.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2008/05/is_24_the_most_pernicious_prog.html

#2 2008-05-15 11:46:20

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: 24 inspires torture and racism?

I honestly think 24 has two audiences, it has a smart intelligent audience who are attracted to the show because of it's unique style (writing, direction, acting etc.), and audience it's had since it's started, an audience who realise it's all just TV, and who are clever enough not to let 24's content alter there personal views or opinions.

Then it's second audience who are perhaps more likely to have there opinions changed, the slightly newer audience who are attracted to the "keep america safe at all cost" storylines above all else.

I think the title of the article "can a liberal still enjoy 24?" is a really strange one, and is probably asking the wrong question, I know plenty of liberals who enjoy 24, (myself included) and even Kiefer Sutherland would describe himself as "A liberal with common sense", although I think common sense and liberal is practically the same thing for me.

Ofcourse i'm saying all this from a UK viewpoint, perhaps the landscape looks different the other side of the pond.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-05-16 11:26:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

i couldn't agree more, dan. besides, this topic is (imho) sooooooo overdiscussed already... it almost looks like it's all that's ever talked about with 24. almost like, in order to keep people form forgetting the show, it's fox themselves who have one or another article written, to keep 24 in the collective consciousness... of course, i'm saying this without having read the article, but i've seen enough of such writings that I can imagine what it's saying.

not to step on any toes, but when people mention the 'it's just TV' viewpoint and the other side of the pond, I always remember the story about this tourist guide in L.A. who told us that people have indeed asked shopsellers at one of the boutiques at rodeo drive why they wouldn't sell clothes to julia roberts in "pretty woman"... with the result that the said boutique had to be redesigned and painted differently so that people wouldn't recognize it...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2008-06-17 19:44:51

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

I honestly think 24 has two audiences, it has a smart intelligent audience who are attracted to the show because of it's unique style (writing, direction, acting etc.), and audience it's had since it's started, an audience who realise it's all just TV, and who are clever enough not to let 24's content alter there personal views or opinions.

Then it's second audience who are perhaps more likely to have there opinions changed, the slightly newer audience who are attracted to the "keep america safe at all cost" storylines above all else.

I think the title of the article "can a liberal still enjoy 24?" is a really strange one, and is probably asking the wrong question, I know plenty of liberals who enjoy 24, (myself included) and even Kiefer Sutherland would describe himself as "A liberal with common sense", although I think common sense and liberal is practically the same thing for me.

Ofcourse i'm saying all this from a UK viewpoint, perhaps the landscape looks different the other side of the pond.

Perfect explanation... simple as that.

Board footer