24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-16 01:28:08

Nero

The West Wing

What did you think of the show?

I've seen the first five season's, season 7 finishes airing here next weekend. I hate watching shows on tv, so I'm waiting to get the boxset of season 6 and 7 here before watching them, however I know what happens and how the show ends.

One of the best shows I've seen in my oppinion. If Barlet was President I'd vote for him tongue However I'd want Josh and everyone else to come along with him.

Currently rewatching season 1, I'm upto episode five titledThe Crackpots and these Women.

Last edited by Nero (2007-04-16 01:31:52)

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

...I Could Float Here Forever...

#2 2007-04-16 09:03:54

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: The West Wing

Best TV show i've ever seen.

Series five is the only dud season.

Nero, you got a list of your favourite episodes?, not sure about my full list, but Two Cathedrals, the series two finale is at the top.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-04-16 20:24:25

Nero

That was a brillaint episode! The ending sequence was amazing. One of the best season finale's ever. I liked the season 5 finale as well, the last few moments with Barlet and Leo having their fight and Barlet walking out into the stadium, watching that just made me think "Wow what is going to happen next season?" And Donna! sad I can't believe what happened to Donna, and just when I thought she was going to be alright, the season 5 finale comes into play.

It's great though.

Another episode that enjoyed was one of the season 2 one's can't remember the episode title at the moment but it was when Josh saw the psychitrist about the shooting in the season 1 finale. Great episode. Also the very end of season 4 and the start of season 5, they were some great episodes.

I'll have to do up a list at some point and post it on here for you Dan smile

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

#4 2007-04-16 20:50:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

The episode with Josh seeing the psychitrist is called Noel.

My top five

1. Two Cathedrals
2. Election Day: Part 2
3. 17 People
4. In The Shadow Of Two Gunmen: Part 1
5. Bartlet 4 America

#5 2007-04-17 08:58:41

Steveb

I'm also up to the end on season five, but it's loan time so I may have to buy 6 & 7. I agree that 5 was a bit dodgy but it's still significantly better than most stuff on tv. The hing that annoys me about it is that John Wells seems to have a penchant for the dramatics and therefore what would have been the big event of a season under Sorkin becomes the big event of the episode under Wells.

My favourite episodes would probably be:

1. Two Cathedrals
2. 17 People
3. 25
4. Gone Quiet
5. Manchester part 2

There are plenty of others I considered choosing but these I think illustrate everything the show is good at.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#6 2007-04-17 09:42:41

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

The hing that annoys me about it is that John Wells seems to have a penchant for the dramatics and therefore what would have been the big event of a season under Sorkin becomes the big event of the episode under Wells.

Yes, although I think possibly that the weakness in Season 5 is Sorkin's fault as much as it is Wells, I can't say for sure but it almost seems as if Sorkin didn't give them all that much notice that he and Schlamme would be leaving and suddenly Wells is in charge by default because theres noone else left. I'd say Wells might have panicked just slightly and decided to get through Season 5 by doing what he did best before resolving to be more prepared for 6 and 7.

The majoirty of 5 seems to me to be episode ideas that staff writers had been pitching for a while but couldn't get signed off on by Sorkin, but did when Wells came along.

There are perhaps 8 episodes up to par with what were used to.

1. 7A WF 83429
2. Dogs Of War
7. Separation of Powers
8. Shutdown
17. The Supremes
20. No Exit
21. Gaza
22. Memorial Day

But like you said Steve it was still better than most, and this is the worst it ever got. Not sure if you've seen 6 and 7 yet Steve, but 6 and 7 are back to what they should be including some truly great episodes (especcially season 6 finale 2168 votes and season 7's Election Day: Part 2)

#7 2007-09-03 14:37:43

Steveb

Have finally now seen all of The West Wing. Season 6 and 7 were interesting. I don't think they quite had the catch of the earlier seasons but the Vinick/ Santos stuff was superb and I agree that Election Day part 2 was possibly one of the greatest episodes ever. The final episode was slightly too downbeat but I think that wheels may have been in motion for an 8th season so I can sort of see why.

The standout performances definitely go to John Spencer and Bradley Whitford who were asked to do so much more with their characters than we'd ever seen before. Leo's first heart attack at Camp David is actually frightening to watch.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#8 2007-09-03 17:02:33

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I wouldn't neccesarily agree with everything, I thought the finale was just low key, not downbeat. It's had its charm though I really did want to see Santos delivering his speech.

Another i'd hoped for in the finale, but didn't expect, but hoped, was to have some jumps forwards. So, say 6 months forward, the rosavolt room, various santos staffers grumbling, at first we don't recognise them, then we catch a familar face or two, enter Josh, CoS, gets them to be quiet, then says "Daniel Jackson, in the foyer of his White House had a two ton block of cheese....", then flash forward again, to see the other half of the "dedication of the josiah bartlett presidential library" scene that started the season.

Agree on the standout performances, no one else quite hit the same heights quite as consistently as those two did. Ofcourse Whitfords best performance was probably in Election Pt. 2, when clearly not much acting was probably required.

I defintely would have watched an eighth season. dunno about everyone else.

#9 2008-10-29 13:51:35

Nero

Okay, just got around to finish season 6 and 7 a few weeks ago. Absouletely amazing. I think it was a really really really good way to wrap up the show. Election day part 1 and 2 were excellent. The space shuttle story arc was really good as well, especially the way it initially established C.J.

I think they were both excellent seasons, but I think there was clearly a door their for the show to continue on, and it really should have.

The Vinick/Santos stuff was just amazing the whole way through.

And Leo's heart attack at the start of season 6 was exactly what SteveB said, pretty damn frightening to watch. Spencer and Whitford had some truely excellent performances especially in the last few seasons.

Formerly neromaguire

#10 2008-10-30 11:55:04

Steveb

I can't remember if it's been mentioned anywhere before, but apparently the character of Santos is actually based on Barack Obama. Talk about Life imitating art... hopefully.

#11 2008-10-30 14:48:19

J_A
Administrator
Website

i was ordering stuff from play.com and saw WW season 1 and other seasons for £15. thought about getting them but really decided against it cause we won't be getting the series here at all,, and I'm unlikely to buy all 6 seasons, or however many there are...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#12 2008-10-30 21:25:24

Nero

Ohhh J_A you should! It's definitely worth it! big_smile Especially at that price. I think we paid something like $90 for ours.

SteveB: Yeah I read that somewhere. They're saying the entire election this year has been imitating the west wing. But it was stated somewhere by the writers that Santos was based of Barrack if I recall correctly. Hopefully the current election keeps following the west wing!

[spoiler]Did you know in the original script of election day the santos team was actually meant to lose? They changed the script because they felt that it'd be too dark an episode and taxing on the views with Leo's death. Though in some other places it says that Santos was always going to win even in the original script.[/spoiler]

Formerly neromaguire

Board footer