24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-15 19:22:06

J_A
Administrator
Website

Prison Break

I actually wanted to start watching this when the first eps aired but then missed the first two as they came on tv last week. instead I caught ep 4 last night and thought it was definitely worth a look and will try and watch it next week, i.e. eps 5 and 6.

they just started airing season 1 here, so... yes, we're a bit behind.. but the concept looks promising. a couple parallel stories, some complexity, the prison surroundings, in itself not an easy way of life - a good "crucible" for all involved. so we'll see. I'll try to catch the next eps and see if I really like it. I know season 1 is long over in the states and the UK, but does anyone watch this? remember it? want to discuss it on a non-spoiler basis?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-06-15 19:52:26

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Prison Break

I've seen series 1 and 2, but yeah I can keep spoiler free. Prison Break is an interesting case in recent TV serials. During thoose two years i've actually been frustrated with it at times. Because it did and does have huge potential, and some times it uses every last drop of it, sometimes it keeps trying to get more when there isn't actually anything left, and sometimes it just falls short. It's at it's most frustrating when it does try to punch above it's weight.

I find it's best to possibly record a few episodes and watch them in one go when your in the mood for it. It's perhaps not quite the show you'll be willing to come back to week after week.

It also has an uncanny knack of pulling out a really good episode when it most needs it.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-06-15 20:30:39

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

It also has an uncanny knack of pulling out a really good episode when it most needs it.

well, that's good then wink big_smile

yeah I was thinking about recording it anyway because it airs at odd times (it ends at 00.15 hours on thursday nights) and my PI just decided we're gonna have our lab/science meetings on friday afternoons so I'd better not be useless on fridays...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2008-02-14 16:53:57

Past Present Fortune

Prison Break is an amazing television show and I would advise anyone that is interested in television shows to definitely watch it, it is easily second to 24 in my opinion.

#5 2008-02-14 22:53:04

J_A
Administrator
Website

right now, I think it tops 24 cause 24's season 6 wasn't that great. but then again, 24 *has* lasted that long already, whereas PB is only in its 3rd (and I'm just 2 weeks shy of finishing watching s2, so... there's no doubt the first few seasons of 24 were just as good and / or better).

I can't believe just how many twists and turns they've put into PB and the more I see, the more I realize they must have planned the whole thing from the start - cause it's all in michael's tattoos - and those have been painted before s1 even started.. hat off to the writers. wonderfully complex stuff.

where are you on prison break? i don't want any spoilers but I'll be happy to finally have someone to discuss the stuff I've seen with smile

tony.jpg

#6 2008-02-15 09:57:39

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I've seen up to episode 12 of season 3, due to the writers strike episode 13 will be the season finale.

I'm in a very love/hate relationship with PB, perhaps even as much as you J_A with 24. At times it is such good drama, such good tension throughout but then at times becomes very clear that it is simply a never ending story. It believe it's stuck in a personality crisis, unsure if it wants to be 24, or if it wants to be Lost, and so is stuck half way inbetween.

My prediction is that it won't have the shelf life of 24, PB won't make it to 100 episodes.

#7 2008-02-15 12:18:36

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:

right now, I think it tops 24 cause 24's season 6 wasn't that great. but then again, 24 *has* lasted that long already, whereas PB is only in its 3rd (and I'm just 2 weeks shy of finishing watching s2, so... there's no doubt the first few seasons of 24 were just as good and / or better).

I can't believe just how many twists and turns they've put into PB and the more I see, the more I realize they must have planned the whole thing from the start - cause it's all in michael's tattoos - and those have been painted before s1 even started.. hat off to the writers. wonderfully complex stuff.

where are you on prison break? i don't want any spoilers but I'll be happy to finally have someone to discuss the stuff I've seen with smile

I'm currently waiting for the last episode of season 3 to air, S03E13, and being 100% honest the first 2 seasons were definitely better but the last few episodes that I've seen have been truly amazing

*VERY, VERY SMALL SPOILER WARNING* - The tattoos don't have any significance in this season as you would expect.

#8 2008-02-15 19:41:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

well actually, no, i wouldn't expect them to have any significance in season 3 because they've arrived to michael's omega - last piece of the puzzle in season 2. and there's nothing beyond that. so it only makes sense smile. it was the plan for escape - now that that's over, so is the tattoo story - but michael will have them on him his whole life.. pretty crazy isn't it...

tony.jpg

#9 2008-02-16 15:19:51

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:

well actually, no, i wouldn't expect them to have any significance in season 3 because they've arrived to michael's omega - last piece of the puzzle in season 2. and there's nothing beyond that. so it only makes sense smile. it was the plan for escape - now that that's over, so is the tattoo story - but michael will have them on him his whole life.. pretty crazy isn't it...

Pretty crazy... INDEED!

#10 2008-02-16 18:30:21

J_A
Administrator
Website

it is interesting though, how they toy with the feelings of the audience towards alexander mahone. on the one hand, he's one of the good guys, of course, being a fed and trying to catch some cons who've escaped from prison. on the other, he's a pawn in a game of much larger proportions. and yet on the other, he's a father in a bad place - and a murderer who probably deserves to be in jail just as much as any other killer. it's a very 3-dimensional character who is not easy to black n white. and that's what makes people interesting, I guess. he's not all good or all bad but he's trying to get through what he's been put in, and to get the job done. in the beginning, when he first showed up, i was more like, aah, damn fed wink but now, it's just not that clear cut! lol. of course, we know linc was innocent in the murder that got him a death sentence but after everything - are they still innocent? guilt is eating away at them both and is yet another very strong driving force. that's why i'm still willing to watch PB even though some of the things are a bit over the top and clearly unrealistic - but I let it entertain me and keep me on the edge of my seat cuase it's simply well done! big_smile.

what are your feelings towards the characters?

tony.jpg

#11 2008-05-05 14:51:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

i've just seen the first 7 eps of season 3. has anyone else been following? i have to say I like what i've seen so far

tony.jpg

#12 2008-05-05 15:47:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, i've seen them, very good entertaining, but I have to say, it does stick with me, i'm not thinking "whats gonna happen next" between episodes and I care about the characters less and less.

#13 2008-05-10 11:52:40

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah well, i'm afraid that happens when shows go on too long. heck, i've been on that with 24 for a long while now. indeed, i've always seen prison break as entertainment. there never has been THAT particular character i cared about so much that i wanted to yell at him to WATCH OUT!! i just sit back and enjoy the show. in fact, my fave character has never really been scofield. it's been linc (, and now mahone is majorly working his way up the list. big_smile

the writing has been very good, though, i'd say the writers have totally and utterly mastered the craft of 'thwarting desire'. actually, they've taken it to the point of 'oh come on' sometimes during the last season. what i mean by that is 'one step forward, two steps back'. it's certainly what you do in writing shows like this, making up new obstacles just when you thought things were getting better, and like i said, they're very good at this.

of course, putting michael in yet another jail that he needs to break out of sounded a bit  like "back to square one" but with mahone, t-bag and bellick inside, too, the situation was promising - and they're doing more than a fair job of that. of course the thwarting desire formula is still in place.

btw, did you just *know* that sarah would get killed when they had only shown "her" from behind when she was on the phone with linc - or was it michael, i dont' remember. in any case, i was instantly like, oh-uh... sarah lookalike. lol.

tony.jpg

#14 2008-05-10 12:37:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

The fake outs and the "thwarting" is what ruins this show for me, I can't tell you how many times I've rolled my eyes at the show. Actually, usually what i'll do is collect up like 2 or 3 episodes i've not seen and then watch them back to back and fast forward through the "moving sideways" bits.

comment on something else you said in spoiler tags, since it's a spoiler for the fourth season

[spoiler]Sarah is actually doing a Tony and returning from the (not)dead, when announcing it, the producer even gave a "well if you watch the episode, there is enough uncertainty about her supposed death, which ofcourse was intentional (read: man that was lucky)"[/spoiler]

#15 2008-05-10 15:47:29

J_A
Administrator
Website

comment to the spoiler:[spoiler] rotfl. hmm. why am I not surprised? it's not like we haven't seen enough elements stolen right out of 24, so why not this. how convenient that 24 gave them this exit. even the producers' comments sound alike. now i'll have to think about this deeeeply, to figure out if it'll ruin the show for me or not.[/spoiler]
and yes, i'll agree with you on the thwarting and fake outs. while not (yet) enough for me to roll eyes at the show, I have done the, "oh come on now." bit several times. sometimes the next added "thwart" just seems like stretching the storyline so they can fill the season.

tony.jpg

#16 2008-05-10 23:42:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok pop quiz:

if linc were to die, which character should climb the ladder of character importance and get more screen time?

tony.jpg

#17 2008-05-11 09:51:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Mahone.

#18 2008-05-11 20:29:55

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Mahone.

my thoughts exactly big_smile.

hmm, i should watch some PB soon. have half of the season still left ;)but decided to watch ctu provo first and had an aerosmith concert recording too. so maybe, PB tomorrow big_smile

tony.jpg

#19 2008-05-12 12:36:12

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

Mahone.

my thoughts exactly big_smile.

hmm, i should watch some PB soon. have half of the season still left ;)but decided to watch ctu provo first and had an aerosmith concert recording too. so maybe, PB tomorrow big_smile

I agree... Alexander Mahone is one of the most complex characters on television at the moment, definitely one of my favorite television characters.

Board footer