24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-06 11:29:47

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Battlestar Galactica - Final Season

I'm fairly certain there might be some BSG fans on the board, and together we might muster up enough thoughts on the final season for one thread. Obviously there will be spoilers for episodes aired.

I've seen the first episode, but i'll restrain from giving my thoughts until I know other people have seen the episode as well.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-04-07 15:24:09

Steveb

Re: Battlestar Galactica - Final Season

I haven't yet seen it, but I'm immensely excited. Quite how they're going to round everything off in the final 20 episodes I don't know. Have you seen Razor, Dan? I've watched it a few times now and I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#3 2008-04-07 17:16:44

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah I got Razor on DVD shortly after it came out. It wasn't bad as a bonus episode. Although I thought it would have been better as a two parter in the middle of season two, instead of some of the standalone episode we got during that run. The new character, Shaw or whatever her name was, was very good, thought she managed to carry the episode/movie very well.

What ruined it as a whole for me was the idea that there was this mission of great significance to some of the Cylon's plans or past plans for future development, and they didn't think to mention it at the time.

Anyway, as for episode 1, very good, I was watching it, so much excitement and intensity, and lots happening generally. The episode cuts to black, and I'm thinking, "well that was a good episode .... oh wait, that was just the teaser"

#4 2008-04-09 18:26:51

Steveb

May I possibly ask how you got hold of it, as I'm having great difficulty in doing so.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#5 2008-04-09 21:02:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, check your PM.

#6 2008-04-15 19:00:08

Steveb

Ok, I've now seen episode one and the only word is: incredible. As fast-paced, as sharp, as intelligent and as brilliant as I'd hoped. The story arc of the four new cylons is developing nicely without them overplaying it and the other story that I really like is Baltar's but I'm going to wait to see where they take it before I comment too much.

#7 2008-04-15 19:23:20

hardy24
Administrator
Website

For me, I don't imagine it possible for that episode to have been any better.

The four new cylons and the question of "what now for Baltar" I imagined would be such hard needle's to thread and yet they both come off so effortlessly in this first episode as thousands of TV writers everywhere go green with envy.

When will you see episode 2 steve?

#8 2008-04-15 19:40:38

Steveb

Probably tonight. It's sat here waiting I just haven't had time over the last few days.

#9 2008-04-16 15:30:20

Steveb

If they don't stop raising their game soon, then there will be no show on tv capable of matching them ever. Episode two was superb, mainly becasue very little actually happened but at the same time so much did, in one of those classic BSG idiosyncrascies.

#10 2008-04-16 16:31:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Episode two was good, although for me not quite at the out of the world level of episode one.

I'd did really like everything on board the cylon baseships, although you can finally see where they cut the corner on the budget with just having that one multi purpose cylon set.

#11 2008-04-19 17:44:04

Past Present Fortune

I really can't understand why this show is so big.. it simply looks like a sci-fi reject in my opinion but like I have said many times before, different people have different opinions.

#12 2008-04-19 18:49:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I don't really know what you mean by "sci-fi reject", it has single handed redefined the sci-fi genre, because really it isn't sci-fi at all in the traditional sense, in reality it's simply a very well written drama that just happens to be set in space, we're talking 'Lost' set in the future.

#13 2008-04-19 23:35:53

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, just seen episode 3 of series 4, wow, just wow, I don't want to say anything for fear of spoiling it, but it does justice to the previous two episodes, it doesn't look like it's gonna let up, if somehow the entire season is this good, absolutely nothing will be able to match it.

#14 2008-04-22 09:00:27

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

I don't really know what you mean by "sci-fi reject", it has single handed redefined the sci-fi genre, because really it isn't sci-fi at all in the traditional sense, in reality it's simply a very well written drama that just happens to be set in space, we're talking 'Lost' set in the future.

What I meant by "sci-fi reject" is that it's just another boring sci-fi show that lasts forever and everyone obsesses over it but I guess you proved me wrong... LOL.

#15 2008-04-22 11:25:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Past Present Fortune wrote:

What I meant by "sci-fi reject" is that it's just another boring sci-fi show that lasts forever and everyone obsesses over it but I guess you proved me wrong... LOL.

Actually, Battlestar is currently in it's fourth and final season (so it's not gonna last forever) of what has been a definite structured story, again quite similar to Lost, which will end after it's sixth season.

#16 2008-04-22 15:43:01

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

Actually, Battlestar is currently in it's fourth and final season (so it's not gonna last forever) of what has been a definite structured story, again quite similar to Lost, which will end after it's sixth season.

I knew about Lost bt you completely shocked me with the Battlestar Galactica news... I thought that the show is a huge success... why would they end it so soon?

Last edited by Past Present Fortune (2008-04-22 15:43:10)

#17 2008-04-22 19:39:24

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I knew about Lost bt you completely shocked me with the Battlestar Galactica news... I thought that the show is a huge success... why would they end it so soon?

For the same reasons that Lost will only run for so long, Battlestar is all about a very specific on going story, and they can't drag the story on or it would ruin the end of the story, and then it wouldn't be so successful.

#18 2008-04-26 12:27:26

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I hope your keeping up Steve, I've just seen episode 4, and I've been floored, the writing was perfect, Aaron Sorkin at the top of his game is the only person I think can match the level of this writing.

I get so wonderfully tunnel visioned when I watch one of these new episodes, my mind doesn't wander at all.

#19 2008-04-27 09:34:15

Steveb

I've had a stupidly busy week so have only just watched episode three, but I'm still slightly stunned. Episode 4 is currently waiting to be watched along with last night's Doctor Who and this weeks Lost. It's like I'm living in televisual paradise at the moment!

#20 2008-04-27 15:47:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I've had a stupidly busy week so have only just watched episode three, but I'm still slightly stunned. Episode 4 is currently waiting to be watched along with last night's Doctor Who and this weeks Lost. It's like I'm living in televisual paradise at the moment!

I know what you mean, although I do wonder just what it might have been like without the writers strike! I'm amazed I manage to get any work done.

Anyway, watch episode 4 asap, but be sure you won't be interrupted, then post thoughts, I need discussion about it, I don't know anyone else currently keeping up with it and it's driving me nuts.

#21 2008-05-03 12:12:16

Steveb

Have just watched episode 4 and 5 back to back. Wow.

The religious battle and role of Baltar is so incredibly engaging. I'm not sure quite where they are going to take it yet, but then I never really am with BSG. It also occurs to me that Lee is possibly being positioned to take the role of VP to Zarek's president when Roslin dies, but again I've probably got it completely wrong.

The Tyrol story is playing out really intriguingly. DOn't know if you've seen episode five yet, but they continue to torment him. Actually, on the final five thing, I'm very glad they aren't overddoing the "what if someone finds out about us?" thing. Instead they're giving the characters very different atitudes to their discovery.

When you see episode 5, I'll be interested to know what you think of the Demetrius arc, it's the only slightly grating point for me but I'll explain later.

#22 2008-05-03 21:23:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Not seen episode 5 yet, will soon hopefully.

I'd have to agree on Lee, although he is perhaps actually being positioned for a role even greater than VP, perhaps of President, or some as yet unclear but important position.

The Tyrol story does have it's hooks in me. I also like how the final five (or four as it is) have gone off in different directions and reactions without it feeling as if they've dodging the issue of "what if they find out" at all.

I do have thoughts on demetruis, but probably a waste to air them until i've seen 5.

While your waiting go and have a read and reply of my thoughts on Lost.

#23 2008-05-03 22:34:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen episode 5, it feels as if Baltar's story has gone off the rails slightly, I think perhaps it peaked for me in episode 4. It worked better I think when it was connected to other events in the fleet, as if it was a commentary on life in the fleet. Having it as the sole story from the fleet I think it loses too much context. I also feel as if we've skipped a link in Baltars story, and as such I don't quite believe Baltar as a "preacher-man" as much as I did last week.

There really putting Tyrol through it, aren't they?, I'm on tender hooks wanting to see his next reaction, his next move.

I'm curious to know what your points on Demetrius are, I was up and down about it all episode, I firmly believe there are too many chiefs on that ship, too many big characters, it feels too crowded and so it's a little hard to see the wood from the trees.

#24 2008-05-04 14:45:37

Steveb

Yeah, I was thinking something similar about the Demetrius. Obviously it's a mission of importance, but it's removed 99% of the key players from the main fleet which doesn't really work. Obviously it's going to prove important otherwise they wouldn't have done it, but at the same time surely in the context of a working military fleet it doesn't make sense to have all of the top officers away from home at once.

The Baltar thing intrigues me. I was rewatching some of the first season and the development of the character is massive. It seems like they have somewhere they want him to go, but it's too early in the season for him to get there. Unfortunately this means the story has become tired for the time being.

#25 2008-05-10 17:28:36

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen 4x06, very good again, Demetrius missin suddenly makes more sense, and more plot pieces are slowly moved about at just the right speed.

Board footer