24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-30 20:43:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

carlos supporting obama

yes, i do realize this may be something for me and MFL to perve on, but actually, it is carlos taking a political stance, supporting barack obama. only 17 seconds tho :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP1hNlLK8tQ

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2008-04-30 20:48:58

24nut
Website

Re: carlos supporting obama

thanks for the link j_a, notice that at the end, when the logo comes up, top right hand corner, its Milo, the one and only Eric Balfour.

So thats two of the 24 cast supporting Obama. Im not a US citizen, but i hope he wins, he looks
genuine.

edit: just checked, Eric Balfour also has a video and is keenly supporting Obama.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 20:51:57)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2008-04-30 21:58:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Good on carlos and eric, I always really hope he wins.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#4 2008-04-30 22:30:05

24nut
Website

Are you guys following the US elections, because i try, but not being from the US i kind of dont understand it very well, probably because i haven't found out about it.

Does Obama have a chance of being elected president?

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2008-04-30 22:39:13

J_A
Administrator
Website

i think the fact that neither hillary clinton nor he are backing off from the race to be the democratic party's candidate are hurting both of their chances (basically, the primaries and caucases are running now, so we're in the pre-season 1 times wink ). that is because while two are warring against each other, the third - i.e. john mcCaine, the republican candidate, has time to regroup and launch a big campaign and win the election. i hope that doesn't happen, i'm supporting obama too, (or I would be, if I were american, lol). i think in general, the majority of europe is backing obama.

the thing with him is, he's young, and some say too young for the office. but he's the first David Palmer with a real shot at the presidency.
the thing with hillary is, she's the first woman with a real shot at the presidency.
now, the white women seem to be supporting her, but you know, it's not clear. she lost lots of delegates to obama earlier, but now she seems to be bouncing back. and then there are superdelegates, those who can still change their mind and support either of them.
the dem. party's meeting in august, and that's when they'll choose their candidate, if this race goes on until then and neither obama nor clinton gets the upper hand by then.

then again, there seem to be voices among the republicans who - if they can't get a republican into the white house - would take "ABH - anyone but hillary". so, i dunno. it seems very open.

CNN has a good coverage of the whole presidential race, and in fact they have a delegate ticker which I have been following . if you want to understand the system, i think it's a good place to start. they're also explaining the whole thing there.

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/

so you might wanna check that out ;-)

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-04-30 22:42:58

24nut
Website

hmm, thanks j_a, that clears it up. Seems like McCain might be the sneaky one here. I dont like McCain, he wanted to be on 24, they let him and now he says that Jack Bauer and 24 is a "bad role model to young people" the guys a hipocrite.

Thanks for the link, ill have to bookmark it and keep up to date.

#7 2008-04-30 22:45:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

np mate. in the beginning of the race i had Firefox keep that window open and i'd check the delegate tracker daily. but now that this has gone on for so long, i just sporadically check.

what was it about john mcCaine on 24? what did I miss?

here's the delegate tracker for the democrats, btw.

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

forgot to post it earlier

tony.jpg

#8 2008-04-30 22:51:42

24nut
Website

well you know John McCaine wanted to be in 24 as a background character, well i think its documented in the special features. If memory serves he hands a folder to Audrey.

But i read a while ago from a couple of websites that he has been bashing 24 saying that "Jack Bauer is not a good role model" and such. I cant remember the links but i find it strange that he wanted to be on it just to have a bash at 24 a year or so later.

You didn't miss much tongue

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 22:51:51)

#9 2008-04-30 23:07:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I do really hope Obama wins, but actually I think McCain would be a big step up from the current administration.

#10 2008-04-30 23:14:14

24nut
Website

yeah McCain would be better i must admit, just want Obama to win more tongue

#11 2008-04-30 23:14:57

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I do really hope Obama wins, but actually I think McCain would be a big step up from the current administration.

still. i think america has had 8 years of republicans, and that's enough for a while.
time for a change - change we believe in ;-).

somehow i'm starting to get the feeling that we'll be disappointed eventually, but who knows. I keep hearing sherry palmer in my head,
"You will be the Democratic's Party presidential candidate"

"And no-one will be able to touch you come November"

lol

coincidence? wink

tony.jpg

#12 2008-04-30 23:15:44

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

i think what dan meant was that *even if* mccain won things would get better as opposed to the bush administration. but he still wants obama to win tongue

tony.jpg

#13 2008-04-30 23:20:07

24nut
Website

jack_addict wrote:
24nut wrote:

i think what dan meant was that *even if* mccain won things would get better as opposed to the bush administration. but he still wants obama to win tongue

yeah i meant that too, better than the current administration. Even Hillary would be i would imagine.

#14 2008-04-30 23:21:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:
jack_addict wrote:
24nut wrote:

yeah i meant that too, better than the current administration. Even Hillary would be i would imagine.

well... I guess anyone is better than Bush. but of the bad choices, I think i'm in the ABH mindset, too. if obama can't get in, then I'd take mcCain. but i don't want to see another 4 years of Clintons

tony.jpg

#15 2008-04-30 23:30:07

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I fear that Hilary has done two much damage to Obama, if she had stepped aside gracefully when he had peaked, perhaps then a Obama President Hilary Vice President would still be a possibility and Bill Clinton would have been able to walk back some of the negative things he's said about Obama and campaign for him. Then you've got a Obama, Hilary and Bill dream campaigning team and with strengths in slightly different demographics and with general unrest with the republicans and Bush, McCain wouldn't have stood a chance because then either he's got to appeal directly to the republican core vote and just them or he's got to distance himself from Bush and annoy the core vote.

By the way, if you find all of this oddly fascinating you should give the last two seasons of the West Wing a go, as it someone how predicted much of this before the race had started.

And oh, I get my US election news from Jon Stewart on the Daily Show.

#16 2008-04-30 23:34:42

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah that's what i'm fearing too, dan. they're both so willing to get into the white house that in the end, it's likely neither of them will.

24 seems to be trying to play Art imitates Life again; with replacing their male republican pres with a female pres - and i'd bet she's a democrat.

tony.jpg

#17 2008-05-01 11:17:57

M F Luder

McCain isn't that bad if you think who were the possible option. The evangelicals. Who don't really see the separation of church and state, imho. The thing with him is that if he wins, they really need to think carefully who the VP is gonna be. As he is already 71, it's not a small possibility he might die in office. Granted, his mom is like 95 or so, but still.

But all in all, I would hope Obama would get the dem nomination and presidency, but we'll see.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#18 2008-05-01 22:17:54

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Talking about politics, we've just had local elections here in the UK, to elect people to local councils, the london assembly and the london mayor.

For london mayor we've got three real choices,

Conservative, Boris Johnson, who is basically a cartoon character.
Labour, Ken Livingstone (and current mayor), the compromise, good record on some things, bad record on others. The "he wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be" mayor.
And Liberal Democrat, Brian Paddock, Former Deputy Police Commissioner for London and the guy with real alternatives (my vote).

#19 2008-05-02 08:21:05

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes, i heard this morning on the radio that the labour party is losing ground. now i have to say i don't understand much about UK politics, so this time around i'll let you educate me smile.

i know there's the house of lords, house of parliament and well, the labour party and conservative party, i also know the prime minister is gordon brown and he resides at 10, downing street in london. but then that's about it. can you bring some order into my thoughts?

tony.jpg

#20 2008-05-02 10:33:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

There are three major parties, although for the last 50 years or so Labour (traditionally the more northern working town party) and the Conservatives (lower tax, "better value for money) party) have been the ones in power. Currently Labour are in power with Gordon Brown their Prime Minister, and Labour have been in power for the last ten years or so, but now the Conservatives have but on a fresh coat of paint and are now more popular generally.

How we elect our prime minister is that in a general election each area elects an MP to represent them in the house of commons, the leader of the party who has the most MP's becomes the Prime Minister. The house of lords is the upper but less power house, and is largely unelected.

On a more local level smaller areas elect councillors to sit on local councils, and in these elections so far Conservatives have 140 odd more councillors than they previously did, and now control 8 more local councils. Most of these will be at the expense of Labour. The news is currently stating that the Conservatives have won 44% of the popular vote, Liberal Democrats 25% and Labour 24% which would be quite embarrassing for Labour and Brown in true. Although the next general election could be 2 years off yet.

#21 2008-05-02 11:17:31

J_A
Administrator
Website

thanks, now i've been educated a little!

yes, indeed i had also heard about the house of commons, but of course had no idea what it was all about.

tony blair has also been with the labour party, wasn't he.

from the current situation in europe, i think there's a general trend to shift towards the right. it seems like the UK is no exception to this. I'm assuming the conservatives are more to the right than labour.

tony.jpg

#22 2008-05-02 12:41:28

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yes, the conservatives are more to the right than labour, although really they both seem to nick each others policies now and there is alot of crossover. I'd probably describe Labour as Centre-Left now and the Liberal Democrats as the Left with The Conservatives Centre-Right.

Tony Blair was the Labour Prime Minister since they took power ten years ago until last year when Gordon Brown took over. Gordon Brown have been the chancillor of the exchequer under Blair, which is the man in charge of the money and the number 2 job.

#23 2008-08-20 03:14:23

24roxmysox3

I'm voteing McCain, even though i can't vote, only because he's republican and he has a lot of the same beliefs and values as me, my being Christian and all.(I don't want to offend anyone!)  But I honestly think that if Obama wins that we will be ok.  I'm SUPER glad Hilary is out of the race.  I live in america, so this is real big for me!(even though i'm really young) smile but either way!!!!

Michelle Dessler: I'll go anywhere with you... as long as I don't have to cook.

Tony Almeida: Sweetheart, if you promise not to cook I will take you with me anywhere

#24 2008-08-20 03:17:15

24roxmysox3

24roxmysox3 wrote:

I'm voteing McCain

can't even spell voting!!!! smile

Tony Almeida: Sweetheart, if you promise not to cook I will take you with me anywhere

#25 2008-08-20 03:27:13

24roxmysox3

But I'm still madly in love with TONY!!!!! He so rocks!!!!

Board footer