24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-16 22:28:18

Past Present Fortune

Think of ways to boost activity on these forums

I am really enjoying myself on these forums but I really do wish that they were more active, is there any way that we could make these forums more active?

Please leave any suggestions and/or plans that you may have here.

#2 2008-02-17 00:33:50

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Think of ways to boost activity on these forums

I defintely know what you mean, in the last two weeks, me and J_A have been the only ones posting, but I we've found in the past over the course of many years that such attempts rarely have any long term effect.

Generally speaking the amount of active members is directly linked to the amount of real world 24 activity, so a new season starting, dvd's being released etc, all help to boost activity, it's just been quiet lately because obviously no one knew when the show would be back on the air.

The best way to keep activity high is to keep posting ourselves, and hope other people respond.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-02-17 10:38:08

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

I defintely know what you mean, in the last two weeks, me and J_A have been the only ones posting, but I we've found in the past over the course of many years that such attempts rarely have any long term effect.

Generally speaking the amount of active members is directly linked to the amount of real world 24 activity, so a new season starting, dvd's being released etc, all help to boost activity, it's just been quiet lately because obviously no one knew when the show would be back on the air.

The best way to keep activity high is to keep posting ourselves, and hope other people respond.

That's very true... like I said in my last post, I'm not going anywhere.

#4 2008-02-17 13:12:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

that's good to hear. smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2008-02-17 14:46:27

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:

I noticed that nearly after every post that I make it's always either you or hardy24 replying to me, I really hope more people like you 2 join these forums, I really want these forums to kick off.

#6 2008-02-17 16:04:18

J_A
Administrator
Website

Past Present Fortune wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

I noticed that nearly after every post that I make it's always either you or hardy24 replying to me, I really hope more people like you 2 join these forums, I really want these forums to kick off.

well, that's probably because we're the only ones posting at the moment... like he said. there are quite a few members, but most of them come and go. we - the moderating team - stay to take care of things wink big_smile. like dan said, things go in phases. so does the forum activity

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#7 2008-02-17 17:46:19

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:
Past Present Fortune wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

well, that's probably because we're the only ones posting at the moment... like he said. there are quite a few members, but most of them come and go. we - the moderating team - stay to take care of things wink big_smile. like dan said, things go in phases. so does the forum activity

That's very true... I can't wait for season 7 to air, I'll have somewhere to talk about the episodes when I'm done watching them, hopefully with many people.

#8 2008-02-18 13:32:32

deadmanmoz

Dancing Carrot Moz is here :-)

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#9 2008-02-18 22:03:04

J_A
Administrator
Website

deadmanmoz wrote:

Dancing Carrot Moz is here :-)

hey ya, it was about damn time you showed up again,moz!
i knew you were always lurking around, but just stayed quiet.

tony.jpg

#10 2008-02-20 10:45:33

Steveb

Steve is here, but only sporadically due to never getting a flipping minute to himself. My next day off is March 5th, so expect muchos posting that day. :-)

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#11 2008-02-20 12:24:13

deadmanmoz

Ha true true JA.
I do pop on every now and then but you're right i aint posted in a whole.
Naughty dancing moz

Everyone well?

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#12 2008-02-20 22:08:40

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes! everything's well: big_smile

J_A has gone a little further down the road of the Almeida and has taken up Krav Maga and is ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY LOVIN IT! big_smile!!! I'd love to go up the ranks and become a Certified Krav Maga Hand-To-Hand Combat Self Defense Instructor like Tony is, eventually wink but we'll see! that would take a few years of hard work - and the training really ain't easy! but like I said, I do indeed enjoy it.

and being as I'm single, I'm also enjoying the fact that I'm usually the only woman or one of max. 2-3 women among like 12-16 guys cool big_smile. makes for some good karma when you're on the floor practicing moves and got someone of the the opposite sex sitting on ya! LOL! big_smile.

that being said, I have had this damned cold or flu or whatever it is for the last 3 weeks. and it's put me in bed with a backache for three days in the beginning, but the sore throat and the sneezing haven't left me yet... will see the doc on friday morning, see wtf is happening...

my phd thesis isn't really really moving along much, i've been stuck on something for the past couple of weeks, but let's say that i hope i've found the plug and unplugged the problem...

how's life treating you, moz? and steve? I see you're busy working - are you still loving it? I suppose you are. once you get bitten by the acting bug it doesn't necessarily leave you alone, does it wink

tony.jpg

#13 2008-02-22 12:05:22

deadmanmoz

Glad to hear all is good JA.
You feeling any better? Hopefully the doc gave you loads of exciting drugs to assist :-)

Yeah im okay thanks, planning my trip to America. Every day looking at trips, flights, hotels, car hire, timeframes etc etc etc all very exciting

#14 2008-02-22 21:10:21

Past Present Fortune

A lot of people posting in the thread... I guess this thread helped out activity issues... lol.

#15 2008-02-23 12:17:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

deadmanmoz wrote:

Glad to hear all is good JA.
You feeling any better? Hopefully the doc gave you loads of exciting drugs to assist :-)

nope, to be perfectly honest, i believe going to the doc was a waste of time. he concluded it was a virus and the backache was connected to that, but all that without asking any questions going into the details of what i'd had & been through.. i do wonder. anyway, i had everything i need before i even went there. codeine for the cough, ibuprofen and aspirin for the pain, paracetamol hot drinks for the general cold symptoms and fever, and lots of vitamin c... so now it's just about coughing and waiting... it is perfectly annoying that this has been happening throughout the whole month of february, and i think my boss at work is getting annoyed too... and i wonder if i should skip my krav maga training on monday, but i just love it too much not to go... dammit.

Yeah im okay thanks, planning my trip to America. Every day looking at trips, flights, hotels, car hire, timeframes etc etc etc all very exciting

when are you going again? I know you told me on msn but... y'know. my brain likely isn't at its best now.

i think i'll make today about watching all 3 Ocean's movies big_smile. 11, 12 and 13. after all, I did ask for them for xmas and haven't watched them from the dvd yet wink

tony.jpg

#16 2008-02-23 12:26:11

Steveb

I'm good thanks J_A. The acting stuff is going great, really starting to take off- albeit with the inevitable bumps along the way. How's everything your end?

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#17 2008-02-24 12:59:48

24nut
Website

back, haven't posted in a while, guess its the whole nothing happening in 24 land, kinda makes discussion that tad harder. Its hard to keep a forum active on the off season, and what long off season it is, but trust me, this better than other forums that are just full of nutters that randomly reply to any old thread to boost their posts and look like the king of the jungle.

Anyone who has been to the 24 insider recently will know what im talking about.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#18 2008-02-24 19:40:18

Past Present Fortune

24nut wrote:

back, haven't posted in a while, guess its the whole nothing happening in 24 land, kinda makes discussion that tad harder. Its hard to keep a forum active on the off season, and what long off season it is, but trust me, this better than other forums that are just full of nutters that randomly reply to any old thread to boost their posts and look like the king of the jungle.

Anyone who has been to the 24 insider recently will know what im talking about.

That's actually true, you get real replies here.

#19 2008-02-25 00:03:01

Steveb

That used to be an issue on one of the sadly now-deceased boards. People would post utter tripe just to boost post counts and you'd have to spend ages trawling through the crap to find an interesting conversation. I guess, as problematic as it is in some respects, that's the joy of having a smaller community; real people and real conversation.

#20 2008-02-25 07:31:06

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steve, you talking about BBC?

#21 2008-02-25 07:34:08

Steveb

No, although come to think of it, yes. I was thinking about Jina's board

#22 2008-02-25 07:51:06

24nut
Website

back in the days of Jina's board, wow, i remember that so well, there was quite a lot of rubbish posted there as it went downhill. Anyone ever hear from Jina anymore? or anyone hear from the stateside mod? tongue

Last edited by 24nut (2008-02-25 07:51:43)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#23 2008-02-25 09:12:05

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Ah, Jina's board, that went through a fair few different stages, until it finally disappeared.

Seems odd to think that at one time there was enough of us, and enough conversation to sustain both Jina's board and the original 24fans forum.

#24 2008-02-25 20:29:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

smile plus, we're still sustaining this one big_smile. how forsightfull of you dan to have created this outlet for the core of us wink big_smile: is that even a word? forsightful? anyway i think you know what I mean.

no, jina and karen the stateside mod, heard nothing from them. been in contact with wavecrest for a while, I know that he didn't like the original 24fans board that dan had first put up because the font was too small for him to read. and then somehow that contact went downhill as he kept sending me spam messages about this scam and this virus and this e-mail going round the net and including my address in a list of like 50 other addresses... so I had to ask him to stop doing that, cause he just spreads my addy all over the net to hundred people I don't know...

petal, on the other hand, bless her, is pretty active in her community and with her kids. we chat on msn and on the phone occasionally, and I've also visited her twice; well, once we met in London, and the other time I actually stayed with her and her family.

dave is still here, still reading, we chat regularly on msn, but he just has nothing interesting to contribute to the board tongue Dave, ya readin' this?? tongue

MFL and moz you've seen around so I don't have to give an update on them wink

tony.jpg

#25 2008-02-25 20:30:10

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I'm good thanks J_A. The acting stuff is going great, really starting to take off- albeit with the inevitable bumps along the way. How's everything your end?

I'm hangin in there. the whole of february so far has been a bit of a downer, healthwise, as I seem to have caught this virus that has become pretty attached to me. and i'm still coughing. hope to have it busted shortly.. cause it's interfering with my urge to train krav maga.

as far as work goes, my boss keeps talking about papers we could - and should and would and y'know all that - publish, but nothing ever quite happens. I'm spending my time doing research on some bacterium that - for all we know - could be interesting or a complete failure, but I'm not very keen on working on the actual project we'd talked about because it involves bacteria I don't care about. I've been there for half a year as a Dr.Sc.Nat student but I have nothing to show for it except that I've gotten the lab running and am doing a lot of work that will eventually not even end up in my thesis. or maybe it will. it's all just very very very insecure and unsafe right now. and in august I am required to have a PhD thesis committee meeting, only I don't even have a committee yet, nor do I have a proposal. so, things are rolling somehow - but whereto, no-one knows...

but in essence, I could probably say the same thing you're saying. I enjoy working in the lab, but right now there are more bumps and curves than straight race tracks on this highway wink

tony.jpg

Board footer