24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-01-03 17:41:52

24nut
Website

Re: What could have been...

funny you should say that dan, making the guest directors watch season 1 as a reference material as such, it makes you wonder if they even have, with some of the decisions made. Also with the cliffhangers, Season 1 and 2, the cliffhangers were so much more intense that other seasons, shocking things like Mason realising that he doesn't have long to live and such. It just made the wait so much more unbearable week to week. But some episodes in season 6 just didn't have that and you didn't quite know where they were going with the story in the next episode.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#27 2008-01-03 18:50:23

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

I also didn't like how easy Jack just moved on after that situation had resolved itself, apart from the infamous whisper in Nina's ear (I still really want to know what he said).

I read somewhere that what Kiefer actually said was something along the lines of "I love you Sarah. Why did you marry Xander?" At which you have to give her an oscar just for not cracking up laughing.

If you mean what *Jack* actually said, that of course, is up to our imaginations. In my imagination, Jack uses a few more colourful words than he normally allows himself, along with "rest of your life" and "hunt you down".

#28 2008-01-03 19:53:10

Steveb

I think what we can effectively say is that the how changed after "the first trilogy". Seasons 4-6 didn't necessarily match up to our expectations. I have to say, I think season 5 is very good (aside from one obvious major mistake, which I'll let J_A argue. lol.) but otherwise the second trilogy didn't reach the heights of the first. Whether that's because we'd seen it already, or because the show itself wasn't as good is contestable.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#29 2008-01-11 07:51:30

24nut
Website

I agree the show clearly is set into 2 trilogy's, because the show totally changed after Season 3. Whether this was intentional or not, im pretty sure the writers have never had ideas that stretch more than a few episodes, they have told us this countless times. But the one exception to the second trilogy being not so good, is Season 5 as you said steve.

But the main point i think here is that Season 6 was tired and seemed like it was just replaying everything we had seen before, and it started off with lots of potential. Anyways, im getting kind of of topic here. I think we can probably move the discussion on to the next set of hours?

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#30 2008-01-11 19:22:22

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I think what we can effectively say is that the how changed after "the first trilogy". Seasons 4-6 didn't necessarily match up to our expectations.
the second trilogy didn't reach the heights of the first. Whether that's because we'd seen it already, or because the show itself wasn't as good is contestable.

no, indeed they did not. though, to be fair, it has to be said that it is clearly pretty hard to keep coming up with new stories once you've locked yourself into a pattern. it's not like there's a shortage of terrorist threats, but in the light of 'bigger, better, more', once you've started down that road, people, i.e. we, expect the threats and storylines to get bigger with every season, and there is probably a limit as to how much you can do - I mean, they actually set off a nuke on US soil twice in these 6 years AND we had a nuclear power plant meltdown. forget about the fallout, but if you're going to top *that* you're likely have to go for complete annihilation of the US population...

that being said, yes, it has become very repetitive in the 2nd trilogy of the series. we've seen way too many moles, and the dialogues and storylines were reused to the point of it being a copy paste from earlier seasons, and whereas in the beginning you could say they were reusing elements but in a different way, it did start to feel old at some point.

I think the genuine question is, when should it (have) end(ed)?
not continuing it for 7 seasons and setting a stop point after three, four, five seasons might have been a good idea. simply because it would have prevented the repetitiveness and would have ended on a high note. sure, we wouldn't have had Bauer Against The World anymore, but hey, at least we could say *our* favorite TV show didn't go down the drain eventually. which, i'm not so sure of anymore.

Steveb wrote:

I have to say, I think season 5 is very good (aside from one obvious major mistake, which I'll let J_A argue. lol.)

hehe. no I won't. but thanks for mentioning it wink

and 24nut, I agree with your statements, too smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#31 2008-01-12 22:24:34

24nut
Website

One thing that i think we should discuss, thanks j_a for bringing it up, as it is relevent to every season, when should 24 have ended for you?

For me, Season 3 would have been the ideal time to have ended the show, at that point, all of the characters were familiar to a point of comfort in watching it. The storylines wern't being reused and it was the end of the previous 2 seasons. For me Season 3 ended so well, the effects of the day take effect on Jack in the last few minutes at the end, then he breaksdown inside his car, this was perfect, the music was great (Jacks Humanity) and to me their wasn't a more perfect way of ending the season.

When Jack got the call, he just picked up where he left off and kept going, to me that just leaves the message of "Jack is human, he will make mistakes, but he just keeps going" Thats why that episode remains one of my favourites.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-01-12 22:24:53)

#32 2008-01-13 12:00:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes, s3 would have been a perfect place to end things. even - and I sigh saying this wink - if that had meant that tony's end would have been in prison for treason for a "long time, believe me." but even so, tony and michelle's storyline would have found a natural ending without having to spill their blood unnecessarily, and jack's, like you said, 24nut, would have meant, yes, he keeps going, though he wears the scars, physical and emotional.

now, from the POV of a TM shipper, season 4 could also have been a good place to end things - because, hey, I wouldn't have wanted to miss the chemistry and the emotion we got in season 4 from the two of them wink big_smile. I liked their starting off at the point of being hurt and bitter about each other and ending up together (like we all knew they would wink) - as unrealistic as that might be within 24 hours.

going slightly off the topic of ending things:

we also saw jack move on in some way, being at the DOD rather than CTU in the beginning. thinking about it now, do you think that if they had abolished CTU in season 4 things might have been different? put jack in a totally new place (NOT government related), and bring the characters together in a personal rather than professional context? maybe that would have done away with the need for repetitiveness?.. just a thought here.

(I was going to post some thoughts on something s7 related but I'll do it in the Norules forum.)

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer