24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-20 23:35:30

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Fanfic Challenge : 24 Day 7

Something 24 related to amuse us during what could be a long wait for S7. Please note, spoilers for all of S6 very likely, and for S7 maybe.

The Challenge : To write "24 : Day 7 : Hour 1" as a fan fic, if you where writing Day 7 what would it be?, you can use as much or as little from what you know of the "real" Day 7.

Also : A brief description of where you see storylines going in the next 3 hours, 12 hours and 24 hours (obviously things are likely to get more vague at this end.)

Things to think about : The pressure is on Day 7 to revitalise the show, it will be a pivotal moment in the shows history, if it delivers then the best could be yet to come and the long talked about film may actually arrive. Fail and it may be the shows last. Something new has to be added to the shows slightly tired formula, or indeed maybe the formula has to be thrown out entirely - but then is it truely 24? Think of this first episode as a "pilot" episode of sorts.

Aim : To produce a piece of work which fellow board members enjoy reading, and to insight some discussion of where the show could go. To have some fun during the writers strike. To answer the question - should Fox be paying us fans to write the show?

Target Deadline : Let's say two weeks on this, although that is a target. If this is successful, maybe there might be more challenges to come.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-12-21 11:54:20

24nut
Website

Re: Fanfic Challenge : 24 Day 7

Im up for that, and im sure a lot of others will be too.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2007-12-22 00:56:07

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, hopefully, I've spent about two hours on mine so far and it's looking interesting.

#4 2007-12-22 10:24:27

J_A
Administrator
Website

I'm generally up for that, although two weeks during the christmas season of family friends and lots of eating does seem a little short...

I'll try to do something down in Italy, though I was actually planning on thinking about an actual fic I would want to write between s4 and s5.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2007-12-22 12:19:41

Steveb

I've been trying to do this for months, but it's been really hard. I think I've thrown out three ideas so far. Just like the real writers in fact!

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#6 2007-12-22 23:24:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

I've been trying to do this for months, but it's been really hard. I think I've thrown out three ideas so far. Just like the real writers in fact!

Care to share the three ideas you threw out?

I'm working on a really out there format ... completely throwing out the rule book. Though I might bring bring it back a bit to make it slightly more realistic as Day 7 episode one, but still a "reboot" of the 24 style.

#7 2007-12-23 22:10:18

Steveb

The third one, I'm to a point going back to because the idea intrigues me.

1. Following on from the idea set in day six, America is under attack from unknown terrorists. However, I wanted to take it further and leave them in a position akin to the earlier series, where there is one final all out attack planned and there are only 24 hours to stop it.

The problem with it was it's very difficult to write this without it being too similar to what has gone before.

2. Jack is put on trial for his years of rule-breaking. However, when it becomes apparent he is being asked to take the fall to stop a corrupt group from being exposed, he breaks custody in order to expose them.

I quite like this idea, in that placing Jack against the law is always interesting and is never used to good effect in the series. My problem is, after four hours there would need to be some kind of development in the plot which was proving awkward.

The third idea I'm kind of going back to, but including elements of the first two ideas.

Basically the first hour involves a new character meeting with Jack Bauer after having tracked him for several months. Jack is uncooperative, as he has been on the run for the authorities for a year because they want him to stand trial for his previous actions and are looking to make him a scapegoat following the closure of CTU. Jack eventually agrees and is taken to meet the a very alive Tony Almeida. He has been undercover for three years tracking a group of conspirators deeply embedded into the US government, businesses and high-ranking positions, etc. Tony wants Jack to help him take this group down as he has recently discovered that they are planning a grand-scale affirmative action that will force america into war and as a side-effect destabilise the american government.

This is the basic premise but I'm still working on the finer details.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#8 2007-12-23 22:55:11

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

The third one, I'm to a point going back to because the idea intrigues me.

1. Following on from the idea set in day six, America is under attack from unknown terrorists. However, I wanted to take it further and leave them in a position akin to the earlier series, where there is one final all out attack planned and there are only 24 hours to stop it.

The problem with it was it's very difficult to write this without it being too similar to what has gone before.

There could have been some potential there but it would have needed more than that, and yes it's hard to do right.

2. Jack is put on trial for his years of rule-breaking. However, when it becomes apparent he is being asked to take the fall to stop a corrupt group from being exposed, he breaks custody in order to expose them.

I quite like this idea, in that placing Jack against the law is always interesting and is never used to good effect in the series. My problem is, after four hours there would need to be some kind of development in the plot which was proving awkward.

Thats a nice idea, unfortunately you keep hitting real time format, as ideally you want to interlace courtroom with Jack exposing the group, but real time makes that nearly impossible, leaving your only option to having a few hours of courtroom and then switch, but that would smack of trying to do something new, and then giving up.

I'm currently working on a bending of the real time format that you have a real time day where the majority of action would take place the real high tension stuff, then have flashbacks between day 6 and 7 to tell the more personal story.

The third idea I'm kind of going back to, but including elements of the first two ideas.

Basically the first hour involves a new character meeting with Jack Bauer after having tracked him for several months. Jack is uncooperative, as he has been on the run for the authorities for a year because they want him to stand trial for his previous actions and are looking to make him a scapegoat following the closure of CTU. Jack eventually agrees and is taken to meet the a very alive Tony Almeida. He has been undercover for three years tracking a group of conspirators deeply embedded into the US government, businesses and high-ranking positions, etc. Tony wants Jack to help him take this group down as he has recently discovered that they are planning a grand-scale affirmative action that will force america into war and as a side-effect destabilise the american government.

This is the basic premise but I'm still working on the finer details.

Ah. well. We've both it would seem come to a similar idea. Only I haven't exactly decided the aim and the means of the conspiracy, I was trying to come up with something big but with real measurable tangible effects.

I've also got the idea of the conspirators being a kabal of corporations we've seen before perhaps and that the way in is not a lone agent going in, but using a company to enter the ranks of the conspirators, say Warner Enterprises or BXJ which Jack could probably claim control of if he had reason to.

#9 2007-12-28 19:58:04

J_A
Administrator
Website

hey, steve, I'm glad to see you're on this too smile.

like I mentioned in the merry christmas thread, I have managed to do something on this in italy, I have the first and second episodes written, well, the second one is less detailed than the first because the first one was the only one the challenge asked for wink.

I have not tried to write a season 7 as I would want it, but I've used what the prequel has sold us, and tried to incorporate lots of it, but expanding the jack trial a bit, adding a somewhat personal note to that; the reason for this being that I'm trying to explain to myself why the writers were doing what they were doing; thinking about the position of everything that they told us will happen and seeing how all that makes sense. as far as tony's introduction goes, I've also stuck with the prequel, although I am in no way happy with what they've got. however, I dare say my idea of what tony is doing is also in a similar place as what the two of you have thought about - I refuse to see him as a bad guy, and also want a twist in there showing how jack and tony are in this together. was that a spoiler? wink

speaking of which, does anyone remember the name of the new president of the US in season 7? it would be very much appreciated ! big_smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#10 2007-12-29 19:32:22

Steveb

I'm about half way through mine now. I've basically twisted the concept so that Jack is effectively without resources and without help. I want to open up the idea of him having to go it alone, but rather than the government being half-hearted in stopping or supporting him, they are out and out 100% against him.

I'm writing it in such a way that there'd be a four-hour tv movie to start things off (very much in a BSG vain) and the series itself would begin sometime after that. That way the backstory is put in place for the s7 story to begin and will mean that I don't keep getting bogged down in unnecessary exposition.

Hopefully I'll have it posted middle of next week.

#11 2007-12-29 20:02:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

hehe nice.
I have to say the idea of jack going alone is something I'm doing in the fanfic I've begun planning that will take place after season 4. so I don't want to use my ideas for this, simply because I'm not even sure how much of my time investment season 7 is worth wink. what I've written is not going to be my best writing, it was just, like I said, trying to incorporate and explain things to myself, more than anything else. I could post ep 1 now, but I still have to sit down and see how far ahead I want to think this through

tony.jpg

#12 2007-12-29 23:33:37

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Interesting idea Steve with the government 100% against Jack. At the moment i'm currently plotting the course for the government of being simply uninterested or unaware, or certainly not at red alert.

I look forward to reading other people's. My idea for this challenge is that people will post the first "episode" or installment, what you believe is appropriate amount, or just what you've got written. People will then read them, post comments, feedback and perhaps even suggestions. And then we take all that into consideration and write another chapter/installment.

I'm thinking that this could go on until Series 7 actually starts, and by the time it does we'll have explored quite extensively the possibilities of the season, and have a good yardstick to judge the "real" season.

#13 2007-12-30 00:27:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, I will post what I have, but I'm not sure if I really want all my writing energy to go into this. actually I don't want it to. i know that once I start working again, after the next week, I won't have much of it to begin with, and I'd like to put it into the fic I had been planning, one where tony and michelle are still alive and jack is playing dead wink

tony.jpg

#14 2007-12-30 11:38:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Fair enough, perhaps you could be "chief commentator" then.

#15 2007-12-30 12:04:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Fair enough, perhaps you could be "chief commentator" then.

you know I will smile.

let me start right now by saying the following, even knowing that you guys are likely aware of that. but one thing I would recommend to every one of you - at least that's the way I would do it - is to try to do away with the 2-dimensionality of certain characters that the show has been giving us lately, and instead try to focus on fewer characters but develop them nicely. keep in mind - you have to know the characters before you see the car crash and show the story smile

tony.jpg

#16 2008-01-05 11:17:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok, so I'd say the deadline for chapter 1 (well, the *target* deadline) is approaching, where are your guys' inputs? I posted mine a week ago, but there's no echo

tony.jpg

#17 2008-01-05 17:01:39

Steveb

I'm using a borrowed computer until tuesday at which point I can post to my hearts content. I'm aiming to post the prequel story- or at least half of it. Fingers-crossed.

#18 2008-01-05 17:47:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

ok, so I'd say the deadline for chapter 1 (well, the *target* deadline) is approaching, where are your guys' inputs? I posted mine a week ago, but there's no echo

Ah, well the euphoria of the holidays is over and i'm faced with the horrible truth that my dissertation is due in two weeks.

On the other hand I do have a very good idea now of what my first hour / episode / chapter is. So maybe i might be able to write it up fast and post it.

#19 2008-01-05 17:59:19

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm, well, something was telling me this might turn out that way tongue. nero is also writing his, I hope he'll be posting his first chapter in a while. then again, nero is one of those guys who start a fic and never finish it.. hmm. does that ring a bell, boys ? tongue wink. as for 24nut, he hasn't been keeping us posted either, but the hope's still there, I suppose (they do say hope dies last right? big_smile)

j/k, well, my ep1 is up, so at least drop me a line of echo inbetween reading and (not) posting ;-). fingers crossed we get some reading material from ya guys quite soon.

tony.jpg

#20 2008-01-05 18:36:53

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, do you think we should be posting comments in this thread or individual threads?

#21 2008-01-05 19:14:42

J_A
Administrator
Website

I don't know, really. it might be easier for the writer to have the comments to their own work in the respective thread, but I suppose we could also just discuss all the efforts in this one here.

or we could also simply discuss the big picture coming from all the different fics in this one (once more of us have posted, of course).

one other thing we could do is post the fanfics directly in this thread, but I suppose that could get somewhat messy.

of the three, my inclination is to say, individual comments to individual fics and a broader discussion here.

tony.jpg

#22 2008-01-05 19:17:09

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

my inclination is to say, individual comments to individual fics and a broader discussion here.

Yeah, i'd agree with that.

Board footer