24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-15 20:48:28

J_A
Administrator
Website

24, writers guild and the strike

i'm sure you've all heard about a possible dark time in hollywood as the writers are threatening to go on strike. for those of you who haven't, here's an article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21251689/

in short, if the writers go on strike, LOST, 24 and every scripted show in hollywood might be facing a problem. the networks are "hording scripts like squirrels saving nuts for winter, putting as many in storage as they can, hoping they don’t run out before a possible strike is settled." because (as most of us know), the scripts for the shows are a few eps ahead of the production, not more, so if the writers stop working now, by january, things could get very dramatic.

"With the studios and TV studios having circled Nov. 1 on their calendars as a potential doomsday, they’ve been asking their writers to try and get as many episodes done as possible before that date. Because of an already intense work schedule, made even more daunting by this deadline, writers are burning themselves out. All of which means the quality of shows might suffer. Quantity, as TV is concerned, has rarely equaled quality."

SPOILER for 24 follows!

here's what I'm worried about:

the twist and surprise and character returns and revamping of 24 that has been announced hinges on brilliant writing. we have all agreed that what they've planned can't be worked in belieavably enough unless it's pitch perfect writing, that they know what they're doing, that they cannot afford to mess this up. it's a fact, they can't.

but the timing for a writing stop couldn't be worse. if they [spoiler]want to bring back tony and do it right[/spoiler]
, then having to rush the writing just won't do the show a favor. and in the end, god forbid, the doubting fans among us might be right and another bad, bad, bad call might be made, something remeniscent of 5x13. I really really really hope this finds a peaceful solution or I will seriously start to doubt my excitement about the above spoiler...

someone please ease my mind.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-10-16 09:50:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: 24, writers guild and the strike

I'm wondering if 24 as effectively a mid-season show now, might have more in the can than most shows, and thus is better equiped to cope with a wga strike. Also, since alot of 24's writing staff now earn a exec producer/co-exec producer credit I'm curious as to if the more senior staff some go on strike since well take Howard Gordon, the most senior member of the writing staff, but also the current show-runner, he surely can't go on strike over a dispute with industry execs, because he's part of both sides. Plus I know they have atleast three members of staff who are officially script supervisors but who also contribute to the writing as well.

Point being, maybe only the out and out script writers will go on strike, leaving other members of staff to keep breaking stories that are about to be written, and maybe making polishes to scripts about to go into production.

Plus they've got the premiere event episodes which they could actually spread out a little further.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-10-16 11:54:15

24nut
Website

Hmm, this could cause some problems, i guess we will have to wait and see how this pans out. Lets hope it doesn't effect the show.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2007-10-16 19:02:16

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Plus they've got the premiere event episodes which they could actually spread out a little further.

yeah, but that's just it. if they planned something and now have to stretch it for the sake of having enough material we're back at quantity before quality problem.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2007-10-16 19:13:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Quite simply though I reckon they've got more options available to them than other shows, plus if having a two episode premiere instead of a four episode premiere is the only sacrifice that has to be made, i don't see the big deal.

Plus lets keep in mind the opening four episodes or so are probably in the can already, meaning at the very least the all important opening to the series won't be effected. I think it's all being blown out of proportion.

Plus (2), My encloyopedic knowledge of 24 recalls that if it wasn't for a writers/actors or directors guild (can't remember which) strike which was looming on the horizon, Xander Berkeley would not have been reading TV scripts in an effort to book any work be could before the strike, and therefore he would not have been cast as Mason if it wasn't for the threat of the strike. Which in the end didn't actually emerge.

#6 2007-10-16 20:08:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

now where did you get that little detail about xander? nice one! big_smile

yeah the first four eps are certainly in the can and I'm not really afraid of them messing up the beginning, but more about happens thereafter. the first few eps will probably be superb again, it's after a little while that it becomes dangerous. but yet again, we arrive at a 'wait and see' point

tony.jpg

#7 2007-10-16 20:38:48

24nut
Website

Im expecting the first 4 eps to be amazing also, Season 6 started off so so well, but then it slumped and got messy with all of the family storylines which ruined it. I just hope that this doesn't force this to happen again.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#8 2007-10-16 20:52:15

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

now where did you get that little detail about xander? nice one! big_smile

A TV interview with Xander. My head soaks up those kind of things until something triggers them.

#9 2007-10-16 22:42:04

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

I just hope that this doesn't force this to happen again.

my point exactly. I'm not worried about [spoiler]tony's return[/spoiler]
. that will be handled well. I'm worried about the final outcome of it. that is, of that plot point and the season as a whole

tony.jpg

#10 2007-11-03 20:30:00

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, it would seem the writers strike is going ahead, starting on monday, unless last minute talks succeed.

I've not been able to find anything on how this will directly affect 24, but I have read news on another mid-season starter "Lost", apparently the plan with there is that they will go on with whatever episode they have finished on there original season start date, then stop when they've run out.

Of course the fear is that when the strike ends there will be a rush to get back up to speed as fast as possible.

#11 2007-11-04 00:02:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes, and in that rush, they could majorly screw up things....unless the strike doesn't prevent them from thinking wink.

tony.jpg

#12 2007-11-08 08:07:20

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Press release from FOX...

“24” PREMIERE POSTPONED TO ENSURE “DAY 7” PROVIDES NON-STOP ACTION

In light of the recently announced strike by The Writers Guild of America, FOX has revised its lineup for January and the remainder of the 2007-2008 season. (The new schedule is subject to change, pending resolution of the strike.)

The highly anticipated drama TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES will have a two-night premiere on Sunday, Jan. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and Monday, Jan. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), the show’s regular time period. PRISON BREAK, which has its last November airing on Monday, Nov. 12 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), returns to Mondays (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) beginning Jan. 14.

The seventh season premiere of 24 is being postponed to ensure that “Day 7” can air uninterrupted, in its entirety.

Obviously we can't say that quality won't be affected once the writers are back, but I think this helps ensure the quality more than airing what they had finished and then taking a break. Thoughts?

#13 2007-11-08 12:52:17

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Obviously we can't say that quality won't be affected once the writers are back, but I think this helps ensure the quality more than airing what they had finished and then taking a break. Thoughts?

We all work better when we feel financially appreciated for our work. Dan, this would make a good poll - how do 24 fans feel about the delay, do they support the writers?

I wonder whether Kiefer will kill 2 birds with one stone, and do all his jail time while this gets sorted. I know I would just want it done, and not like it hanging over my head.

#14 2007-11-08 13:54:57

hardy24
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

We all work better when we feel financially appreciated for our work. Dan, this would make a good poll - how do 24 fans feel about the delay, do they support the writers?

Yeah, that will be the new poll come monday morning.

#15 2007-11-08 18:15:14

J_A
Administrator
Website

I agree with what's been said. let's hope the writers will be happy once they come back and then give us good shows. good idea for the poll too

tony.jpg

#16 2007-11-09 10:03:23

Steveb

Apparently according to IMDB news, At least two of the cast members have been spotted on the picket line. It names Janeane Garafalo as one, but doesn't name the other.

Smitten, the same thought crossed my mind, to a point it could be a mixed blessing.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#17 2007-11-09 11:49:25

24nut
Website

I cant believe this, the earliest that we may see Season 7 is September 08 now, lets just hope that they even bother to carry on, i sure hope they do, now this is bad news, im so ****** off.

#18 2007-11-09 19:13:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

this is really awful. to tell us what they told us in the prequel, and then torture us for that long with the uncertainty of how it will all be resolved.

how do you figure it's going to be september at the earliest? that's a damn long time. to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if people will wait that long or move on to other series.

tony.jpg

#19 2007-11-10 07:46:15

24nut
Website

Just with the way ratings are and how long everyone thinks that this strike will last, they probably wont restart in the summer because apparently tv ratings are too low then, i've seen from various places that the strike could last quite a while.

But when you think about it, can Fox really be so greedy to ruin the tv season and possibly an entire season of 24. Lets hope they cough up the money to pay the writers a fair amount.

#20 2007-11-10 12:03:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

But when you think about it, can Fox really be so greedy to ruin the tv season and possibly an entire season of 24.

Yes.

It's all about the money. it always has been. otherwise the parody that is 24 would have stopped three seasons ago and The X Files wouldn't have continued after David Duchovny left.

tony.jpg

#21 2007-11-10 19:23:44

24nut
Website

This is such a ridiculous situtation, damn Fox!

#22 2007-11-10 20:58:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

You know, I rarely miss a chance to lay blame at Fox's door, but I really don't think that you can blame anything on Fox in this situation. Ofcourse, every decision will be based on money, but at this moment in time, the best thing in money terms is whatever is best for the show in the medium to long term and you really can't blame networks for keeping successful shows going for as long as possible, it makes sense money wise, as well as helping to balance the books so that they can more slowly bred in newer shows too ratings success.

This strike isn't simply the 24 writers asking Fox for more money, it's the WGA asking the entire TV and Film industry for more money.

And I think it's rather harsh to blame for "ruining" a season of the show one minute, then blame them for not cancelling the show three years ago the next.

#23 2007-11-10 22:23:47

J_A
Administrator
Website

warning to people other than us wink:

this post will contain spoilers!!!

I think I'm really going nuts here. on the one hand I don't want to watch any more, on the other, I HAVE to know what will happen to tony, and this whole waiting and then talk of even more waiting is driving me crazy....  roll

hardy24 wrote:

And I think it's rather harsh to blame for "ruining" a season of the show one minute, then blame them for not cancelling the show three years ago the next.

yes, it might be. but you know my stance on this, dan. and if has been shifting lately, going up and down, it's simply because of the above... and while I'm not the biggest fan of the later seasons, I still don't want the season in which tony returns (under rather dubious circumstances) to be the worst season ever. and I don't want to see that because it would ruin *Tony*, not so much because of the reputation of the show per se.

hardy24 wrote:

This strike isn't simply the 24 writers asking Fox for more money, it's the WGA asking the entire TV and Film industry for more money.

I know you're replying to 24nut here,mostly, so I'll just second that statement. smile it is the industry vs writers. I personally only blame FOX for things they personally screw up wink for example, with letting the shows run for too long. 24 sure had its moments in the past couple of years, too, but money rules. like some of us feared from the start. they just *can't* stop when things are at their peak.

tony.jpg

#24 2007-11-11 10:52:31

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I HAVE to know what will happen to tony, and this whole waiting and then talk of even more waiting is driving me crazy....

Yeah, I can understand that

I still don't want the season in which tony returns (under rather dubious circumstances) to be the worst season ever. and I don't want to see that because it would ruin *Tony*, not so much because of the reputation of the show per se.

Again, personally understandable, but I don't see how Fox's recent decision to postpone the season until it can air none stop makes it more likely that it will be a bad season. I think postponement was the best decision option out of some bad options.

I personally only blame FOX for things they personally screw up wink for example, with letting the shows run for too long. 24 sure had its moments in the past couple of years, too, but money rules. like some of us feared from the start. they just *can't* stop when things are at their peak.

You know what, "oh, cancel it already" was exactly what I was saying in the depths of season four, most of which I thought was a terrible parody of itself. Then we got season 5, which on the whole was brilliant television.

Too date I think my only true gripe with Fox over there handling of 24 was only giving the first season a 13 episode pick up at first, leading to the only slightly weaker episodes of Season 1 just as after episdoe 13.

#25 2007-11-11 12:47:00

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I don't see how Fox's recent decision to postpone the season until it can air nonstop makes it more likely that it will be a bad season. I think postponement was the best decision option out of some bad options.

yes, that it was. it's not the decision to postpone it that's potentially a problem, it's the strike itself. just bad timing, that's all. it's simply my fear of the m rushing things after potentially having lost lots of time and going for the shock effect again instead of taking the time to think things through (which they had originally planned by giving the writers more time)

Too date I think my only true gripe with Fox over there handling of 24 was only giving the first season a 13 episode pick up at first, leading to the only slightly weaker episodes of Season 1 just as after episode 13.

then you're one lucky 24 fan and I am happy for you wink

tony.jpg

Board footer