24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 22:20:05

ahhhkiefer

Season Three: anyone care to jump in?

Hi all...

I'm new here and there doesn't seem to be much discussion of season 3, perhaps it's not considered top-drawer 24.  But I have two bones to pick (probably trivial) and wondered if anyone else was bothered by this...

1-Gael is dying.  In Pain.  In Agony.  IN A HOTEL.  And they can't give him a room to friggin' lie down in?  NO, he's got to die in the basement with a year's supply of Poland Spring.  Michelle, don't be giving this "he died a hero" crap to poor Mrs Ortega...if you think he's such a hero, give him a pillow, not a gun for pete's sake!! 

Am I being naive here?  Is there some national security, tactical reason poor Gael couldn't chill in the honeymoon suite while waiting for his insides to slowly liquefy?

2-What DID Saunders go through in Bosnia?  The whole thing is set up so thickly in the mid-late episodes that it is the biggest letdown ever that he gets wasted by Mrs Ortega without ever getting a monologue to tell us WHY he's doing this.  Pity, because I do think audiences want to like their villains a little...

I wonder if #2 especially is a lead on the reasons folks don't care for season 3 as much.  Anyone wishing to enlighten me further is most welcome.  God only knows how long it'll be before I have time/opportunity to watch Season 4...

cheers!

#2 2007-08-29 22:27:13

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Season Three: anyone care to jump in?

hey there, welcome to the boards.

actually, we are currently doing a rewatch of all seasons and this week marks the start of our watching season 3 again. this week we'll be watching episodes 1 to 4 of season 3, then the next four and so on. so if you care to stick to the schedule of discussion and just go on an ep by ep basis you're welcome to. we'll eventually get to the parts you want to discuss, but I'd personally like to stick to the schedule so as to "live through the season" again without thinking ahead.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2007-08-29 22:33:48

J_A
Administrator
Website

ahhhkiefer wrote:

Hi all...

I'm new here and there doesn't seem to be much discussion of season 3, perhaps it's not considered top-drawer 24. 
cheers!

like I said above, I'm not going to engage in a late season 3 discussion  yet, but I just really need to comment on this. in my book, seasons 2 and 3 are the best seasons of 24. people have been commenting about mexico - but to tell you the truth, I liked mexico. and I love season 3. I don't like season 5 or 6 so there you go. if s3 is not top notch 24 then I sure hope that whoever is saying that doesn't think that s6 for some reason is.... my personal opinion only.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-08-30 07:27:28

ahhhkiefer

thanks Jackaddict.  Looking at the timestamps of both our posts, it seems we were writing them pretty much simultaneously...so I didn't see anything about s3 in the archive.  Hence the new thread. 

I can definitely take my time and chip in as it progresses.  No prob.

#5 2007-08-30 10:42:56

smitten

Well, I've not watched these bits for a while, but anyway...

ahhhkiefer wrote:

1-Gael is dying.  In Pain.  In Agony.  IN A HOTEL.  And they can't give him a room to friggin' lie down in? ... Is there some national security, tactical reason poor Gael couldn't chill in the honeymoon suite while waiting for his insides to slowly liquefy?

LOL. smile No idea. Probably, but budget couldn't stretch to the honeymoon suite.

ahhhkiefer wrote:

2-What DID Saunders go through in Bosnia?  The whole thing is set up so thickly in the mid-late episodes that it is the biggest letdown ever that he gets wasted by Mrs Ortega without ever getting a monologue to tell us WHY he's doing this.  Pity, because I do think audiences want to like their villains a little...

For a 24 villain, I think we get to understand him quite well. He was captured, probably tortured for information, the rest is left to the imagination. Suffice it to say, he hates America. I have other (logical) problems with his motivation and plan, like, a virus like this would spread round the world, so what really was his plan to protect himself and his daughter?

ahhhkiefer wrote:

I wonder if #2 especially is a lead on the reasons folks don't care for season 3 as much.  Anyone wishing to enlighten me further is most welcome.  God only knows how long it'll be before I have time/opportunity to watch Season 4...

Do people really like seaon 3 less? I don't know. Maybe it's just that it's in the middle - people tend to remember the first season they ever saw, and the most recent one, so perhaps season 3 has just been outshone by other stuff. Certainly, Jack's a lot less likeable here. And some characters (Nina, Sherry) get perhaps a plot twist too many? Still, great 24 and I'm enjoying rewatching it, even though it's now perhaps the 3rd or 4th time.

#6 2007-08-30 17:32:23

emma143
Website

ahhhkiefer wrote:

1-Gael is dying.  In Pain.  In Agony.  IN A HOTEL.  And they can't give him a room to friggin' lie down in?  NO, he's got to die in the basement with a year's supply of Poland Spring.  Michelle, don't be giving this "he died a hero" crap to poor Mrs Ortega...if you think he's such a hero, give him a pillow, not a gun for pete's sake!!

in the episodes the hotel is full (ie. No spare rooms).....so maybe Michelle wanted to keep him out of site of guests were they would not see what their actual fate was and cause mass panic or scare them! As for the gun she didn't want to see him suffer anymore (put yourself in michelles position....if all the rooms were full would you want to kick someone out of a room?  and add the potential for rumours AND/OR cause panic if anyone saw Gael?) But yes it is sad!

Emz
x
εїз

4B, 6A, 1A* and the geek rules supreme (but still cant spell)

#7 2007-09-01 07:53:16

ahhhkiefer

Well, I guess this is the part where I apologize for jumping to conclusions about the relative popularity of season III.  As  a person who just kinda surfed over here and was checking out the forum boards, there just didn't seem to be a lot of discussion of it compared to I & IV, so I guess I drew the wrong conclusion.  And I can understand where the Almeida fans among you might think III was pretty darn good!

I dunno...I can accept that it's more dramatic for Gael to die in a dark basement, isolated, than in some cushy bed (and then they save on the fake blood too). 

I can also accept that we often don't learn much about what makes villains bad, and that Saunders is, in that light, a pretty well-drawn character.  My objection is not to how much we know about Saunders, but that there are at least 3 set-up conversations à la "He was a patriot...he was a good man...something must have happened..." that really give the impression that there's some kind of whalloping gotcha coming about what actually happened to Saunders.  I guess the conversations end with ellipses instead of periods, setting up for a revelation (i.e. not: "Jack left Saunders behind in Bosnia and he was probably tortured within an inch of his sanity.  That's gotta be it.")

I guess this is a pretty trivial nit to pick.  But since I was fairly certain that Jack was gonna save the world tongue, the big suspense bit for me in the last few episodes was getting to find out what turned Saunders bad.

#8 2007-09-01 08:38:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

ahhhkiefer wrote:

Well, I guess this is the part where I apologize for jumping to conclusions about the relative popularity of season III.  As  a person who just kinda surfed over here and was checking out the forum boards, there just didn't seem to be a lot of discussion of it compared to I & IV, so I guess I drew the wrong conclusion.  And I can understand where the Almeida fans among you might think III was pretty darn good!.

hehe.damn right we do big_smile
and you know, carlos bernard agrees with us cool season 3 is his favorite - and rightly so. even though after rewatching season 2 now I do remember why it has been my favorite for a long time too. there's lots of development in characters going on. and lots of subtlety - some of which was lost in later seasons

tony.jpg

Board footer