international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-25 13:14:28

J_A
Administrator
Website

24 Declassified - new books?

hey guys,

my surfing the net just led me from Steve's review of season 6 to the wikipedia page on 24 to the 24wiki page and there, I found that more 24 declassified books are scheduled to be released next year! you might already know this, but I was tihnking that Chaos Theory would be the last, so I was really happy to see this! also, happy to see that john whitman is not going to be writing these, but Marc Cerassini is still writing big_smile

anyway, details:

"The next two 24: Declassified novels will be released in January and March 2008. The seventh novel is Storm Force by David Jacobs, the eighth 24: Declassified novel will be titled Collateral Damage. It's to be written by Marc Cerasini and released in March."

so this means I still need to get my hands on Chaos theory then big_smile. I was not sure if I wanted to read it since JW isn't exactly a Tony fan and I'd found his books a little less 24 than MC's, and cause I thought if that was the last book, then I don't want to end on a less than perfect note. I had read and loved Vanishing Point by MC, despite its obvious AU faults - bringing in too many characters from the later seasons that actually don't know each other prior to season 1 - but because it had LOTS of Tony in it and was a pretty enjoyable read, I am willing to overlook that wink. anyway, I'll get Chaos Theory then, and look forward to the new books next year!

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-08-25 19:33:58

smitten

Re: 24 Declassified - new books?

That's great news, Jack Addict, thanks for letting us know.

#3 2008-02-16 22:26:42

Past Present Fortune

I've heard about these books but have never read them, are they any good? I may buy them all.

#4 2008-02-17 12:01:31

smitten

Past Present Fortune wrote:

I've heard about these books but have never read them, are they any good? I may buy them all.

If you like 24 and you like reading, you'll like reading these. In a way, they are more realistic than the telly, because the writers can be as explicit and bloody as they like, without worrying about the censors. So Jack doesn't say 'screw you' and 'dammit' quite as much. wink Anyway, they're cheap enough off Amazon. I still haven't read the new ones - am planning to savour them throughout my 24-less year. Sob.

#5 2008-02-17 13:09:09

J_A
Administrator
Website

so far, I've read all 24 declassifieds up to Chaos Theory, which I finished reading a couple of weeks back (ok, "finished" is overstated, cause it doesn't take me more than a weekend to read one of them...). they're good, in essence though I think they're published fanfics.

some of them are a bit better than others. John Whitham's novels are definitely more Jack Bauer focused while Marc Cerasini seems to like Tony more than Whitham does. I think Cerasini also tends to stay more in character with everyone, while Whitham has his "out of character" moments. one of the upcoming novels will be written by a guy who hasn't published any of the declassified novels yet so it remains to be seen how he'll handle things. one nice thing about Whitham is that he's a certified krav maga hand-to-hand combat self defense instructor (just like tony, btw wink big_smile) so when he writes fights, they're quite realistic big_smile. (and being that I've taken up Krav Maga recently, I recognize some things already as stuff that I've learned so far cool).

in any case, they are an entertaining read, with several caveats (but I don't think you'll mind them): they all take place before season1 so people like Jamey and Nina are in there and are "good" - thus not exposed yet. and in the later books, both cerasini and whitham have been using characters "en masse" from later seasons. people like edgar for example, or henderson. and there's lots of mason and chappelle in there. so if you don't mind the unlikely and unrealistic, go for it.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-02-22 21:05:10

Past Present Fortune

smitten wrote:
Past Present Fortune wrote:

If you like 24 and you like reading, you'll like reading these. In a way, they are more realistic than the telly, because the writers can be as explicit and bloody as they like, without worrying about the censors. So Jack doesn't say 'screw you' and 'dammit' quite as much. wink Anyway, they're cheap enough off Amazon. I still haven't read the new ones - am planning to savour them throughout my 24-less year. Sob.

Thanks for the help... I think I might pick them up 1 at a time and see what I think as I progress through the series.

#7 2008-02-23 12:09:12

Steveb

jack_addict wrote:

my surfing the net just led me from Steve's review of season 6

I didn't realise I'd written a review of season 6... *looks around nervously*... where would I find such a thing. lol

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#8 2008-02-23 12:12:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

my surfing the net just led me from Steve's review of season 6

I didn't realise I'd written a review of season 6... *looks around nervously*... where would I find such a thing. lol

lol mate, i wrote this so long ago that i don't remember either tongue. no, seriously, i think it's your review here on the forum, since you weren't really watching s6 at the same pace as the bunch of us due to uni  tv failure or something wink. so when you finally managed to see it, you kinda wrote down your thoughts in a retrospective smile

btw, what about your day 7 hour 1?... still waiting .

tony.jpg

#9 2008-10-18 23:56:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

wow, can't believe i found this thread... it only took like, five minutes! LOL.

anyway....

dan, i thought you might be interested in this (not sure if you've heard of it, I hadn't!)

http://www.amazon.com/24-Nightfall-Mark-L-Haynes/dp/1600100899/ref=pd_sim_b_9

5107Rb8I27L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

it ssems like someone has actually put a paperback out there called "24: Nightfall". now that sounds rather interesting, how they're going to explain that. I hope that this guy Mark Haynes has actually been paying attention during season 1! big_smile.

edit: or hold on, is this the second of the 24 comics? suddenly, I seem to remember hearing something... and the writer (team) is the same as for 24: One Shot. so maybe I had heard of it after all. oh well.

tony.jpg

#10 2008-10-26 15:40:31

24roxmysox3

lol hey J_A i was wondering if you could write up a list of all the books in the series and send it to me in a PM, also with all their authors if you could...that would help me find them!!!!!!!!! thanks

Michelle Dessler: I'll go anywhere with you... as long as I don't have to cook.

Tony Almeida: Sweetheart, if you promise not to cook I will take you with me anywhere

#11 2008-10-31 23:24:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh, no no, i'm too lazy for that and don't have the time either. besides, there are easier ways of finding that out. just go to the 24 wiki page, they have everything there, with synopsis, timelines etc etc.

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

and search for whatever you want to know wink.

heres the first novel:

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/24_Declassified:_Operation_Hell_Gate

when you scroll to the end, there will be the link to the 2nd novel etc etc. have fun being an intelligence agent looking for your stuff. this is going to be an easy mission big_smile

tony.jpg

#12 2009-02-06 12:26:32

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok bumping this up to give y'all a heads up on a new novel coming up. It is the second one written by David Jacobs (the author of Storm Force). it will be titled

"Head Shot"

and is to be published on 28 April 2009.

ISBN: 9780061771521

I am personally not too excited by this piece of intel, cause I thought that Storm Force was far from being top notch of the 24: Declassified series. There was a lot of repetitivity of certain facts that had already been established, lots of waiting around, doing nothing, and I think it was sometimes falling out of character, too. Also, I think there was no tony to be found anywhere except possibly as a side character in one scene - however, I might be wrong about the last thing there (though I don't think I am) cause it's been a long time since I read it.

Anyhow, I would rather have had another book by the original Marc Cerasini, even John Whitman would do, but Cerasini is definitely my favorite author in this series. His books are always in character, interesting, written in real 24 fashion and he has lots of respect for Tony's character, too.

tony.jpg

Board footer