24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-23 01:12:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

The Bourne Ultimatum

Okay, I know that I already started a summer blockbusters thread, but Bourne really deserves his own thread. I just saw the third film, and I thought it was great, I mean "exit cinema and buy ticket for next showing" great.

Certain parts I'm certain will have Bond producers doing one of the following.

1) Furiously taking notes.
2) Watching through there fingers
3) Desperating searching for Paul Greengrass' number
4) Going green with envy.

or some combination of all four.

I encourage everyone to go see this film, in the cinema. Having seen Bourne Supremacy is helpful, but not essential.

Anyone who has seen it, but disagrees with, me feel free to air your opinions, but please be for-warned, you maybe subject to the evil stare faster than J_A reacting to the numbers 5-13.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-08-23 08:42:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: The Bourne Ultimatum

hardy24 wrote:

Anyone who has seen it, but disagrees with me, feel free to air your opinions, but please be forewarned, you may be subject to the evil stare faster than J_A reacting to the numbers 5-13.

ROTFL. lol indeed, if that evil stare is faster than mine when you mention those numbers then I understand lol

I fully intend to see the movie. i've watched the other 2 movies over the past weeks as they were aired on telly. the bourne ultimatum is starting here on sept. 6th and i won't be back from visiting MFL until 14th. but thereafter I will see it and post my thoughts.

btw, dan, it is because of you that I decided to watch those bourne movies as they were shown. knowing that you love them so much and you've encouraged me to see t hem

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2007-08-23 09:25:10

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

btw, dan, it is because of you that I decided to watch those bourne movies as they were shown. knowing that you love them so much and you've encouraged me to see t hem

Good good.

#4 2007-08-23 19:54:39

J_A
Administrator
Website

so i'll take this to mean that it's a worthy ending to the trilogy?

care to share any favorite bits without spoiling it too much?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2007-08-23 22:32:48

hardy24
Administrator
Website

It is a worthy end to the trilogy, though I still have fingers crossed there might me more.

Okay, well favourite bits. hmm.

A chase scene in waterloo station, which is doubly impressive if you know waterloo station because you can tell they did actually film in the station in the middle of the rush hour. And the scene itself is so beautifully staged, and intricate that I can't imagine anyone not being impressed.

Nearer the end, they do something very clever with some seemingly innocuous scenes from the second film Supremacy.

#6 2007-08-24 07:26:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

hmm. *digs in the back of her mind to remember waterloo station* I think I do remember the station - at least somewhat. I should. having been there many times.

I do like it when movies use original locations instead of studios. though I mostly can't really tell if things have been filmed in hollywood with a prop of a city or in the city itself. but I guess that's why it's hollywood - dream factory wink

here's looking forward to the movie then.

on a different note, something I thought about last night. actors and their defining roles.

frankly, to me, kiefer sutherland - ever since 24 - simply looks like jack bauer in most of his movies - especially if they're action characters. it has to do with the way kiefer acts of course, too. though he's brilliant as jack, i suppose after 6 years of that, it's probably hard to just detach yourself from the part when it's LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION. in a movie. in non-action flicks, I find it easier not to see Bauer in it, but it's still present.

I'm sure it will be the same thing with Carlos Bernard. Tony Almeida is so memorable (to me at least, and I won't take anyone contradicting! evil stare danger!) that when I see Carlos somewhere else I'll simply be thinking of Tony. In that respect I'm interested to see Apocalypse with MFL in a couple of weeks and see if I'm right. Carlos's character there apparently has some of the same mannerisms as Tony does - and if that's so, then I'm frankly not sure if I even want to watch it - so as not to distort the image I have of Tony and of Carlos as an actor.

on the other hand, with Matt Damon - and here's the tie in to the actual topic - despite having seen him and loved him in the Ocean's movies and in the Bourne movies which are both trilogies and hence somewhat of a "serial" role - I have no problem "buying" that he's playing different characters in other movies that I've seen with him. now, surely, a film trilogy isn't the same as three years of a series but I was curious as to what others think of this - maybe especially steve, who would be at the center of this discussion somewhat, but hasn't been posting lately (though I *have* actually seen him check out the boards).

tony.jpg

#7 2007-08-24 09:49:43

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Well your right on many counts there, Matt Damon doesn't seem to be inflicted with that problem as much as you might think. But perhaps it has more to do with what we knew about the actor(s) before you saw them in there bigger roles. I'm guessing not loads for Carlos and Kiefer, and then suddenly you where getting and proccessing a lot of information on them, and it's all coming from 24.

With Matt Damon, it's likely you probably knew more. But ofcourse film is a different medium.

To add another name to this, Matthew Perry, if and when you can try catching a few episodes of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I had no difficulty forgetting Chandler.

Yes, it would be nice to hear from Steve on this.

#8 2007-08-24 20:04:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

well. actually it's partly true and partly it's the other way round. at least as far as Matt Damon and Kiefer go. I've actually known Kiefer's stuff for a while there. with the Flatliners, and young guns, YG II and a few other things he did. none of it was as defining as the role of Bauer the killing machine wink.

Matt Damon, I've seen him in a few movies prior. Talented Mr Ripley, Good will hunting, and other stuff.

Carlos, I've never heard of before. not before Tony. so actually it should be Carlos whom I shouldn't be able to detach from the Tony part. and it'll probably be so.

As for Matthew Perry, I really haven't seen him anywhere outside of Friends, so the first and only thing that comes to my mind when I think of that name is Chandler Bing big_smile (Bing! lol)

tony.jpg

#9 2007-08-24 21:58:37

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, good points.

Do watch some Studio 60.

#10 2007-08-25 10:08:09

J_A
Administrator
Website

Stupid question, but... what is studio 60?

tony.jpg

#11 2007-08-25 10:57:23

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Hmm, see another thread labelled studio 60 in this section, also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_60.

It's a TV show from the creator of "The West Wing", this time going behind the scenes of a late night sketch show (i.e. Saturday Night Live), it starred Matthew Perry as the head writer, Bradley Whitford as the fictional shows Executive Producer and Amanda Peet as the Network's President.

Despite being mind boggingly good, funny and smart the good people of america didn't get it so it got cancelled after one run of 22 episodes.

Matthew Perry's is a particularly stand out performance as his character does on paper have a lot of similarities to Chandler (making a lot of jokes, perhaps not the most well adjusted person) but when you see him in the show you really aren't thinking about Chandler at all.

#12 2007-09-02 16:13:27

Steveb

Both Studio 60 and Bourne Ultimatum are pure class. Alas, the first one it seems has suffered an untimely death at the hands of "Stupid America". On a slight side not to that, I've finally seen the last two seasons of The West Wing, but I'll find the appropriate thread to talk about that. lol.

The Bourne movie threw me completely, in being completely different from the novel, but I'm really glad it was, because I think it would have been incredibly labourious otherwise.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#13 2007-09-02 17:52:43

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'm glad to have finally found someone else who has read the books.

Just a quick question, did having read the books help you understand the ending of the film more, i.e. fill in gaps and know what certain things where hinting at?.

#14 2007-09-02 19:27:32

J_A
Administrator
Website

just as a heads up , I will be watching bourne ultimatum as i return to switzerland. i got a phonecall the other night from a guy asking me if i wanted to go and see it in the cinema, so I said yes smile. it starts in  zurich on the 6th, so I'll be seeing it sometime after september 15th.

tony.jpg

Board footer