24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-16 22:12:29

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Doctor Who - Third Series

Hi people, just thought a Doctor Who conversation might be in order, atleast for thoose in the UK. The third series (of the revival) is just about reaching it's peak, it's just had four really good episodes and ends with a two-parter over the next two weeks.

[**spoilers for episodes aired, and possibly discussion/suggestions of whats to come**]

The four really good episodes I was talking about including the two parter "Family of Blood", in which the Doctor turns human for a time in order to evade "the family".

Then we had "blink", which was just great drama/mystery/fun, in which we didn't actually see the main characters very much, although the little we did see of the Doctor was by way of a DVD Easter Egg!, along with some very fun jokes including, [DVD rental shop assistant watching a film shouting] "Go to the police you silly woman, why does nobody ever go to the police." at a TV while the main character walks past pondering what she should do next.

Then we have "Utopia", which had a nice plot premise to it, although it got a little left behind as the episode became a vehicle for bigger series plot points. Including, the reintroduction of Captain Jack, and answering every possible fan question about where he's been. And the slow, fairly predictable, but still stunning reveal that the man the Doctor had been working alongside for most of the episode was infact a timelord!, albeit one who had undergone the process the Doctor did in Family of Blood, and had forgotten his true nature, but he's not just any timelord, he's The Master, who in the past has had a rather well chequered past full of evil deeds. Then, the Master returned to full timelord status promptly knicks the TARDIS, and though is hurt in the process and regenerates in John Simm (Life On Mars, State Of Play) who then flies off, promising to wreak havoc and leaving the Doctor stranded.

The next two weeks look nothing short of brilliant, i've heard alot of rumours and other things about the content of them, and if there all true, then a lot gets packed into them, which in Doctor Who is usually a good thing, just as long as it doesn't become too confusing.

Anyway, i've gone on long enough, anyone else?

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-06-19 12:39:44

Steveb

Re: Doctor Who - Third Series

A lot of critics have been trying to pan this series, however, I think it's been the strongest so far. The only two weak episodes for me were "The Lazarus Experiment" and "42" as neither were particularly great stories although both forwarded the Saxon plot arc very nicely.

The previous four weeks have been superb. "Family of Blood/ Human Nature" while it was a bit of a slow build was a great story and allowed David Tennant to show of his acting abilities outside of the impish time traveller role he does so well. Jessica Hynes was also a great addition to the cast.

"Blink" will hopefully will many many awards. Steven Moffat has proved for the third year in a row that he is the master of scary doctor who stories. I actually went to a party after watching this show and we went wandering through the grounds of teh Yorkshire Sculpture Park at 2 in the morning and I really was afraid to Blink. That's how effective that episode was.

"Utopia" was the weakest of the previous four, mainly because it got bogged down in the necessities of setting up the finale. Derek Jacobi wasn't as good as I'd expected but then again the Professor was quite a poor character, being nothing more than a plot device in many respects. The last ten minutes were, however, frankly amazing nad it seems RTD has finally learnt how to write a cliffhanger that doesn't involve a mexican stand-off.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#3 2007-06-20 01:53:15

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, i'd agree with you on Utopia, i was quite disappointed that a general plot idea that had a lot of promise got lost in the mix and was nothing more than a backdrop, and quite frankly i've come too the conclusion that RTD is a great showrunner, exec producer and even head writer, but i'm actually a little sick of him actually writing all the key episodes (first, last episodes, xmas specials). His ideas are great, but his actual scripts can be slightly clunky.

#4 2007-06-20 09:39:29

Steveb

Well if rumours are to be believed next season will be his last. I personally don't buy it, the show is doing too well for it to make sense that he jumps ship.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#5 2007-06-20 11:03:23

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I don't want him to jump ship completely, just to allow some of the more talented writers a chance to do write more than 1 or 2 episodes, and to just have him looking out for the overall series plot thread.

#6 2007-06-20 12:21:25

Steveb

I think when he writes well his episodes are up there with the best- Doomsday for example- but all too often his episodes are as you said very clunky. I think I'd like to see him step back next year to more of an executive producer role and perhaps give more writing responsibilities to those who've proved their worth, Steven Moffat being the obvious choice.

#7 2007-06-20 16:14:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yes, Steven Moffat would be my choice, i'd love to see what he could do with a christmas special. I think it speaks volumes that last year Love and Monsters (the episode without much of the doctor and rose) was one of the worst episodes of the run, and that this year Blink will be up there with the best of the run.

#8 2007-06-25 11:07:31

Steveb

What did people think to The Sound of Drums? After saying that I think Blink was the best episode they'd ever done, I have to say this is certainly trying to rival it. While it doesn't have the same fear factor, the writing was sublime and the sheer scale of things was excellent. John Simm plays the Master fantastically and easily rivals Tennant in the slightly unhinged genius stakes. There was also some superb referencing, my two favourites being the obvious Captain Scarlet tribute and the Jelly Baby line.

My only fault was the cliffhanger did seem slightly too drawn out, but that could be personal preference rather than an actual problem.

#9 2007-06-28 00:41:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'm just seen it, imagine that, on the day Gordon Brown takes over as PM, I see this episode of Doctor Who.

I'd say it doesn't quite top Blink for me (though i'm reserving a certain amount of judgement until we see the conclusion to the story), I say that because really there was pretty much nothing I disliked about Blink, where as I did have a few qualms with Sound of the Drums.

I'll reel of some of the bigger issues for me, then get on to the good stuff. Alot of momentum was robbed from the story due to the way the episode opened, I really wanted that feeling of picking up exactly where we left off, and there seemed to be very little reason to do the escape the way there did, perhaps to cover the "screwdriver + doctor's genius = instant solution" thing thats starting to get on my nerves again.

All the stuff with Martha's family seemed a little OTT, and I really didn't find myself caring about them.

Over indulging in flash-backs, bugged me last week too, used well and at the right time it can be very effective, done the way it was, it was I started to think I was watching a clip show, again robs the story of momentum, to see it done well see last episode of series 1 when Rose figures out the Bad Wolf thing. We're not idiots, don't insult us, and aren't there enough recaps in the Radio times as it is?

Some of the scale strecthed the budget to breaking point, or so it looked.

Finally, John Simm stealing the episode (on it's own good, but), wanting to see more of the Master, and less of the Doctor is probably not a good thing.

Anyway, good stuff. The Master/Doctor phonecall is up there with my favourite scenes since the shows return.

John Simm. Some will think he was over the top, and he probably was, but I was glued to the screen, doesn't really matter how he did it, but he was the best thing in the episode. Debate over as far as i'm concerned.

The rather scathing relevance of a politician who is smart, charming and wins everyone over without any policies.

The sheer amount that was packed into the episode.

There is more, but it all pretty much revolves around the Master.

Overall I await the finale with baited breathe, and hope that there not left regretting a cliff hanger of such proportions, and that they find a realisitic way of resolving it.

#10 2007-06-29 14:23:57

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Getting back briefly to our discussion about RTD, i've just heard (in the daily mail i think), that next year will be his last, after which he will be stepping aside completely to pursue other projects. I'm crossing fingers in hope that his executive producer role can be split between Stephen Moffat and Phil Collinson.

Also, anyone seen Stephen Moffat's "Jekyll", which has followed Doctor Who the previous two weeks, it's very good, another excellent addition to his growing collection.

#11 2007-06-30 21:36:48

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just seen the last episode, hrmmm, and it wasn't a bad episode really, but it horribly squandered so much potential. I'm really mixed up about it right now, but it defintely wasn't all it should have been and let down a series which overall made the future of Doctor Who look very promising.

#12 2007-08-02 11:33:06

Steveb

I've just watched the final three together and something really annoys about them but I can't think what. As a whole story it is superb, but somewhere something doesn't sit right, possibly the fact that they are three separate stories roughly threaded together to make one longer one. The other problem as you said earlier Dan, is that I really didn't want the master to lose. John Simm actually makes him someone you care about.

A lot of people I've spoken to complain that the ending of Last of the Time Lords is something of a Deus Ex Machina, but I disagree, everything that happens is setup beforehand- perhaps a shade too neatly, but the clues are there.

My only other complaint is RTD's infuriating insistence of throwing a cliffhanger in at the end of the season. Ok, first season I'll let him off because of the regeneration thing, but seasons two and three were unnecessary and could have easily been the teaser of the xmas special instead.

#13 2007-08-02 12:24:04

hardy24
Administrator
Website

For me the annoying thing about the christmas cliffhangers is the laziness of them, everything was pretty much identical between the runaway bride and the titantic teasers. Except the obvious. Even the doctors reaction to both was the same.

But I think I can just about forgive.

#14 2007-08-02 14:23:59

Steveb

Yeah, I know what you mean. I find them insulting to a point, because certainly at the end of Doomsday, there was this terrific dramatic tension which was destroyed by the doctor turning around and seeing Donna stood there. Similarly, although to a lesser extent with this series, it would have been more powerful to leave the doctor on his own to give the Last of the Timelords idea a final symbolic image.

Btw, what do think to Catherine Tate being taken on full time?

#15 2007-08-02 21:34:38

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Erm, Shrug to Catherine Tate full time, i'd have preferred to have Martha stay on. I'm willing to give her a chance, but I really didn't think her character had much potential beyond last years christmas special.

To be honest I was crossing my fingers and hoping very hard the new companion would be Sally Sparrow from Blink, that I would have been very excited about.

#16 2007-09-04 10:58:08

Steveb

Interesting that they've decided to take a year long break before doing a fifth season. I think the suggestion is probably that they've all had enough for now but don't want anyone else to takeover and potentially ruin it. David Tennant did confirm that he'd be involved in all of season four and the specials but sensibly wouldn't commit to anything beyond that.

#17 2007-09-04 13:14:07

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'm a bit confused by this really. As it does fit with some of the rumours and speculation we've heard about the running and casting of the show, but not all of it.

I was assuming that after series four davies and co would move on as heavily suggested, and that someone new would come in. (Please by Moffat - aside: who just won a second hugo for Girl in the Fireplace, after winning his first for empty child/doctor dances), and also perhaps bring in a new doctor, although that would maybe depend on the new exec's and if they could persaude tennant to stay if they wanted him.

A year's break would seem to jive with that, give the new team, time to get settled and plans sorted, and not have to rush any decision on recasting of Who.

But in the official statement on this, it states that there taking the break so that Tennant can do Shakespeare with the RSC.

Personally I hope it's the former, i'd hate for the entire DW team to be stood down for a year while Tennant does Shakespeare just so he can feel like a real actor and makes up his mind about s5, that just doesn't strike me as being very like him.

For me the fourth series plus christmas + 2008 specials should be it for tennant, that would take him past the average tenure of a Doctor.

#18 2007-09-04 15:14:51

Steveb

I don't think him doing Shakespeare is the only reason, although for him I'm sure it's a major part of it. I think that the whole team probably want the chance to reevaluate things. It's 9-10 months of solid work every year and as much as they obviously enjoy the process I imagine it can get somewhat overbearing. Perhaps this year will give them the opportunity to sit down and work out what trengths and weaknesses they have (HUGE case in point being who writes the season finales! Deus Ex Machina is not the only way!)

#19 2007-09-04 15:39:46

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Clearly there is some shake up coming. I wonder about the wisdom of the 2009 specials. If there being written/produced by the old regime while a new regime is planning for the future, that will significantly handicap possible storylines for the specials.

#20 2007-09-04 19:09:47

emma143
Website

i saw David Tennent on Friday noght at the blackpool illuminations switch on

Emz
x
εїз

4B, 6A, 1A* and the geek rules supreme (but still cant spell)

Board footer