24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-10 12:08:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Has Season 6 lived up to your expectations?

Has Season 6 lived up to your expectations?, discuss.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-04-10 13:38:28

nedelson

Re: Has Season 6 lived up to your expectations?

"Now we're gonna have some FUN"

#3 2007-04-10 14:46:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

I take it that was your expectation for s6. now to the question of whether it was fulfilled? has it so far?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-04-10 19:44:23

Chief of Staff

I have been some what disapointed by the current series, but I do think that it is getting better. There have been some good plolt twists, but it hasn't been as action packed as previous ones.
Still enjoying it though.

M

Charles Logan: I don't see where any of this becomes your business, Mike.

Mike Novick: I'll tell you where, Mr. President. I'm your Chief of Staff - if there's something going on that I don't know about that involves national security, it is my business.

Charles Logan: This isn't national security, Mike - it's our marriage.

#5 2007-04-10 19:55:24

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, generally speaking i'd agree with you. Although i'd say that the first four episodes were very fast paced, up there with the best, then in slowed way down, and is just now starting to speed up again.

#6 2007-04-10 20:20:50

J_A
Administrator
Website

isn't it a somewhat steady pattern, that things seem to slow down towards the middle in books, movies, series, stories and the like, and then take off again towards the end. I don't know whay but it does seem like there's a kind of a hole in the middle wink.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#7 2007-04-10 20:26:53

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yes, i suppose so, although it was quite sudden. I don't remember the slow down being so sudden in other seasons.

#8 2007-04-10 20:30:11

J_A
Administrator
Website

I don't actually think it was that slow in the first 3 seasons at all. if I remember correctly, in s4 they were stalling for time a bit, and in the 5th, it did slow down a bit but like you say, not all that suddenly. I haven't seen past ep 15 or so, I think, but it will be good to see if they do pick up the pace again

tony.jpg

#9 2007-04-10 20:35:27

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Not to talk specifics, but yeah from 16 you can see the the up tick in pace see them getting ready for a sprint finish to the end of the series, and I think it may be quite a sight to see.

#10 2007-04-10 20:44:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

...sprint finish to the end of the series, and I think it may be quite a sight to see.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but you're probably right. They've managed to resurrect things before. Dang, it's been so long since I've last seen an ep that I don't even remember what I know and what I don't. lol.

tony.jpg

#11 2007-04-14 22:28:59

smitten

Yes, it's matched my expectations, which are quite high. I'm still watching, still hooked. I expect surprises, suspense, emotional turmoil, sexual tension and a bit of violence, and I've seen all of that. I also expect that some episodes will be less thrilling because the writers need to link one story to another, and clearly it's getting harder for them to come up with new stories.

OK, some of the subplots were quite irritating - am I allowed to talk specifics here?

What has definitely pleased me is that I get to see a new side to Jack. This Jack is 2 clicks away from a nervous breakdown, he has moments of self-doubt and uncertainty and he even (this made me laugh) does what his dad tells him to do! And Kiefer has played this brilliantly - every now and then he has this startled-rabbit-in-the-headlights look about him that makes you remember that less than 24 hours ago, he was in custody. The closest thing we've come to this before was when he was going cold-turkey in season 3. Then he knew what it was, and he had control in that he could have shot up, but decided to keep on withdrawing. This time you really feel like his soul has been shaken and he's lost. And when he's captured, bound and beaten then it's familiar ground for him, he feels more at home and comfortable.

I'll stop now before I ramble too much.

Smitten

#12 2007-04-14 22:40:34

24nut
Website

fallen short but not much, as others have said, the mid season slump has lasted longer than usual, but after watching episode 15, i feel that its getting back on track, after all, the first 4 episodes of season 6 were great.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#13 2007-04-14 23:46:09

hardy24
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

OK, some of the subplots were quite irritating - am I allowed to talk specifics here?

Yes, but only up to whats been shown in the U.K. in general threads like this.

#14 2007-04-15 15:15:11

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

...clearly it's getting harder for them to come up with new stories.

Yes, that has become evident in season 5 already. with some things they write themselves into a corner and then find themselves having to come up with unbelievable storylines, deus-ex-machina kind of solution so that they can keep going (then again, I guess that happens in most shows sometimes).

smitten wrote:

What has definitely pleased me is that I get to see a new side to Jack. This Jack is 2 clicks away from a nervous breakdown, he has moments of self-doubt and uncertainty and he even (this made me laugh) does what his dad tells him to do! And Kiefer has played this brilliantly.....This time you really feel like his soul has been shaken and he's lost. And when he's captured, bound and beaten then it's familiar ground for him, he feels more at home and comfortable.

yes, this is actually something that could be seen as quite "shocking" for a person in general, but I think you said it well. he feels "at home" in bad situations. I love the way kiefer plays this new jack. frankly, it had gotten a bit too much to the jack=machine pov in the previous seasons, this time, he is more human, more brittle, even though he does do his job, he can't just grin and bear it. again, I haven't seen past ep 13 yet, but should see more soon. I don't think this view of him will change though

tony.jpg

#15 2007-04-15 17:49:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:
smitten wrote:

...clearly it's getting harder for them to come up with new stories.

Yes, that has become evident in season 5 already.

I'd say it was starting to show in season 4 atleast with the general situations.

#16 2007-04-15 18:05:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, true. some timefillings and stuff that were going on. like jack waiting for satellite footage from chloe before having to stage the robbery of that gas station to keep the terrorist in

tony.jpg

#17 2007-04-15 18:15:33

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I actually think there was more filler in four than there was in five, it was just spread out more in four.

#18 2007-04-15 21:40:08

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Yes, but only up to whats been shown in the U.K. in general threads like this.

Fine. So I suppose this season has had it's fair share of "irritating subplotitis". The Morris/alcohol thing went on far too long, but that wasn't nearly as bad as Sandra's boyfriend and his dalliance in under-cover work. That made no sense at all. The idea that he would just happen to bump into all these terrorists who would repeat a key phrase in Arabic - a phrase which he could repeat but not understand, and which just happened to give CTU the intel break they needed... No. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief, but that's too far.

On the other hand, however irritating it was, I'm not sure there's been more subplotitis than in other seasons, perhaps barring season 1. David P's relationship with his doctor, Michelle's anxious brother, not to mention Kim and the cougar... they were all pretty cringe-making, but I'm still hooked.

Why? Because I care about Jack. Speaking of which, does anyone else think it's strange that Jack speaks fluent Russian but stumbles over "nuclear" and sometimes reverts to "nucular"? I thought only Bush said "nucular".

#19 2007-04-15 22:05:29

hardy24
Administrator
Website

You make many good points smitten, I think really in the end we accept a certain level of it, but I think we've all got a line in our heads which if they cross (as far as amount) then that would probably get somepeople quite annoyed, but everyone has there own idea of where that line is.

On a sidenote, from remember from series 1, he also speaks fluent (or atleast basic language fluently) spanish.

Also, something from that episode where we see him speaking russian to get into the embassy, I'm not sure, but shouldn't the guard have picked up that Jack was speaking russian but in an 'american' accent, if it was your mother tongue you'd surely pick up on someone who learnt the language somewhere other than it's place of origin.

#20 2007-04-16 10:20:01

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Also, something from that episode where we see him speaking russian to get into the embassy, I'm not sure, but shouldn't the guard have picked up that Jack was speaking russian but in an 'american' accent, if it was your mother tongue you'd surely pick up on someone who learnt the language somewhere other than it's place of origin.

Yes, I thought I detected a bit of an accent in his Russian, and the guard should have picked up on it. He also should have spotted an unfamiliar face - how many guards can there be there - you'd think they'd all know each other pretty well. So clearly, not a very attentive guard. But hey, it's not easy to get out even a phrase in a foreign language, and do it convincingly, so this I'm happy to let go.

#21 2007-04-22 16:11:27

J_A
Administrator
Website

heh, yeah I agree Jack seems to be quite an atypical american in terms of speaking foreign languages tongue. I wonder if he learned chinese, too wink

I haven't noticed the "nucular" stumble, though, you'd think they'd repeat the scene when kiefer does something like that lol! on the other hand, maybe the acting was just too good to bother redoing it because of that wink

tony.jpg

#22 2007-04-25 05:00:14

TonyAlmeida

It's been an increasingly better season

I think at the begining it was a bit hard to follow, but as of the last 5 episodes it's really pulled back to standard 24 shock value

Board footer