24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#101 2008-03-04 09:49:22

24nut
Website

Re: Introduce Yourself

welcome sroth wink

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#102 2008-03-05 01:01:25

sroth_1

deadmanmoz wrote:

hi sroth

welcome to the board.
Most of us that are posting at the moment are from England, apart from the wonderful JA who is in Switzerland.
Where is America are you from?

Thanks! I'm in the midwest, Wisconsin to be exact. How many people are on here?

#103 2008-03-05 11:05:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

sroth_1 wrote:

How many people are on here?

Hi sroth, we have about a hundred registered members, but not all of them post that often, there are maybe a dozen members who post with any regularity.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#104 2008-03-12 12:19:27

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:
sroth_1 wrote:

How many people are on here?

Hi sroth, we have about a hundred registered members, but not all of them post that often, there are maybe a dozen members who post with any regularity.

And I'm one of them... MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

#105 2008-03-19 17:17:28

hazel

okay i am hazy the biggest klover of jack bauer

#106 2008-03-19 19:40:53

Past Present Fortune

hazel wrote:

okay i am hazy the biggest klover of jack bauer

Welcome to the forums hazel, I hope you enjoy yourself.

#107 2008-04-09 17:42:38

Minerva

Hi guys!
I'm a new member!I'm from Italy and actually I'm at my last year of secondary school! I'm a great fan of 24!Right now I'm watching the 8th episode of the 6th season! I'm afraid that here in Italy we are a little backward.....

#108 2008-04-09 20:38:47

J_A
Administrator
Website

ciao!! dove in italia sei? io non sono italiana ma parlo italiano tutto il giorno (ci sono italiani e ticinesi dove lavoro).

welceome to the forum smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#109 2008-04-09 21:05:42

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Welcome to the forum Minerva.

J_A, you gonna be doing a lot of Italian?, do I need google translator everytime I browse the forums?

#110 2008-04-09 21:34:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

no, i don't intend to go all italian here. just had a completely screwed up day. well, week. maybe month... kinda looked forward to an italian here but then... you know. deleted the other post now. basically i just welcomed her here and asked where in italy she's from.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#111 2008-04-09 22:57:39

hardy24
Administrator
Website

It's alright if you do a little italian, it was actually just a bit of a surprise to see it.

I can sympathise on the bad month, believe me. Genuinely considered quitting from my uni course even though i've only got 6 weeks left until the final hand in!

#112 2008-04-10 17:19:23

Minerva

jack_addict wrote:

ciao!! dove in italia sei? io non sono italiana ma parlo italiano tutto il giorno (ci sono italiani e ticinesi dove lavoro).

welceome to the forum smile

I'm from Saronno...
P.S: don't worry guys my english isn't perfect...but I will not talk italian....maybe J_A could help me  with translation....sometimes...:D

Last edited by Minerva (2008-04-10 17:19:57)

#113 2008-04-10 21:21:57

J_A
Administrator
Website

sure, i'll help you translate if necessary.

and dan, guess what? i had that kind of talk with my boss today where we were thinking about whether the job i'm doing really is what i want... i'm on the verge of quitting, but he was real nice about it. offered me a solution so i could "land softly" lol. but dude, you can't quit with only six weeks to go! I'll get over there and punch some of my krav maga into ya if you do! capisci? wink

tony.jpg

#114 2008-04-10 23:14:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Whats odd is the different reactions i've gotten from people when I mention quitting. My parents where, "fine, if you really can't stand it anymore etc etc", My course leader ignored it and just said "you can pass easy, don't worry about it, 6 weeks of hell is worth a degree at the end of it" while everyone inbetween (brother, sister, housemate, coursemates and now fellow 24 tv internet addicts) have said "don't be stupid, now back on your computer and do some work!"

#115 2008-04-11 18:31:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, i suppose it depends on whether you still want to do the job you're trying to get the degree for... if you can't stand THAT either, then quitting might be the right option, but still. with just six weeks to go, it does seem a terrible waste of time not to go through with it. i have to agree with your boss there... see with me, i'm still in the first year of my phd and haven't really done anything for it yet. i mean i have nothing to show for it. and it's just talking talking talking, at this point, i'm pretty sure that anyone in my presumptive committee would just say, what have you been wasting your time on? but for me to get the degree it would mean 3 years of "hell", and seeing as i have nothing yet, who knows, maybe longer than that. and it's just hard to impossible to motivate yourself through it if your heart is not in it. and mine actually hasn't been from the start... i kinda grabbed this opportunity cause i think with my grades i wouldn't have gotten any other chance - but what it turned out that i would be doing were the exact things that i couldn't stand during my studies.. the stuff i never ever cared about. so... that's the bottom line of it. i thought it didn't matter if i liked it, it just mattered to get the degree, and it's probably true, but can i really drag myself through it? and what do i do with it when it's over with?... that's what's called a dilemma, jack, isn't it wink

tony.jpg

#116 2008-04-11 19:19:46

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Fact is the job i'm trying to get a degree for isn't going to drive me crazy, the longterm aim to be freelance web designer, where I can have a nice balance of pay the bills work and inspire me creatively work. So that's the plan, and I'm already easing myself into that during my freetime, and i'm loving it.

But my course has still been a nightmare, even though i'm in the last year when really you get to tailor your own assignments to some degree. Point being, I know i've got as much learning and training out of the course as I will do, infact I haven't learnt a great deal in the third year, it's just been fulfilling the requirements to be given a degree. I know I can do the job I want, except maybe down the line not having my degree will disadvantage me in some way for a future job. So i'm still on my course, prepared for the final 6 weeks of hell.

I hope you're able to get through your troubles with your sanity intact.

#117 2008-04-11 23:13:59

J_A
Administrator
Website

heh, yeah, so do I... then again, the quesiton becomes, do I have my sanity as it is ? wink...

it's really annoying.. y'know, sometimes i wish i was just talented and interested in only one single thing. then the choice wouldn't really be a choice, it would be easy! but with like half a dozen decent interests and double that in talents, it's so hard to pin down a career path... even at 31 years of age (as of last monday...)

sanity, where art thou?...

tony.jpg

#118 2008-04-12 17:35:28

Minerva

jack_addict wrote:

capisci? wink

sure ! I got it!:cool:  ..........I can actually understand english! unbelievable!:lol:

Last edited by Minerva (2008-04-12 17:40:15)

#119 2008-04-14 21:54:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

Minerva wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

capisci? wink

sure ! I got it!:cool:  ..........I can actually understand english! unbelievable!:lol:

LOL, now this wasn't fair. you cut the "capisci" out of context! lol the first sentence was directed at you but the last word at dan! you put it together like this and it makes me look like an idiot. lol LMAO.

dan, should we put up a Countdown to Dan's Graduation? would that help? wink.

you know, there's these flashy thingies that would remind you every day that there is one days less to go wink

or maybe this will help. straight out of Krav Maga Tactics:

6 Step Fighting Tactic

1.     Realizing Problem.

2.     Out of Contact range.

3.     1st Contact control – Block/redirect attack.

4.     Simultaneously attack (same time as # 3) – create confusion.

5.     Control - Neutralize – depends on situation/opponent.

6.     Finish situation

I think you're in the attack problem phase wink. and close to neutralizing it! big_smile

we've been practicing takedowns lately. i love this stuff! big_smile

tony.jpg

#120 2008-04-14 22:26:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

okay this is the point where I realize I've wandered into the wrong night class, and slowly walk away backwards, and hopefully escape before someone does some fancy move and throws me onto a mat and makes me look silly.

I'm fairly certain you're missing one ...

4.5 (same time as 3 & 4) - Disappear down pub, that'll confuse the opponent/situation.

#121 2008-04-15 17:22:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

hehehe, yeah, and offer the opponent a drink! that might neutralize the situation wink

so how about that countdown? big_smile

tony.jpg

#122 2008-04-15 17:35:35

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

so how about that countdown? big_smile

Hmm, no, I can get a little obsessive about things like that, checking it every couple of hours or even minutes. plus I already have one going off in my head counting down until i'm 21, for some reason. Over which i've been having a non-freak out, freak out, which goes something like this

Me: "your 21 soon"

Me: "yeah, so what"

Me: "Dunno, don't people usually freak out or something, sounds like a big milestone"

Me: "Do they?"

Me: "I think"

pause

Me: "So why aren't you freaking out, is there something wrong with you?"

Me: "yeah, maybe" ..... proceeds to freak out for no logical or clear reason

#123 2008-04-15 18:30:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

rotfl. oh dan! big_smile.

well, at least you're freaking out about not freaking out about something that you believe might be a genuine reason for freaking out of all the under-20-freaks out there wink

the mess in my head is... well, messy, but today i told my boss that i'd decided to call it quits. it was about time, cause, tbh, this has been a decision simmering in my head for a long time, longer than i want to admit to him. so, now it's back to reorienting phase, figuring out what the heck to do with my life, and all, and dan, i envy you to a point, i mean, even if you do freak out you still have ten years more than I do to figure things out wink. lol. i friggin' turned 31 last week...

tony.jpg

#124 2008-04-15 19:32:48

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yes, I meant to wish you happy birthday.

I envy you in being in a position to quit, if that makes sense, at having realised before you to close to the finish to quit.

Hopefully I won't need ten years figuring out stuff. I have a lot figured out, and how long I want to do stuff for, the hard part i'm finding is deciding in which order to it. Does laying about doing nothing come first, or does earning some money and repaying some debt come first?

I'm both cursed and blessed to have siblings strategically positioned age wise (brother 24, sister 26) to tell me a) life's not that great when your x years old, don't be in a rush to be older and b) life's great when your older, grow up!

#125 2008-04-15 21:55:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

LOL. well, take it from yet a few years older person that life isn't that great when you're 31 either wink
seriously, i think i've enjoyed life at any point, i think they all had their good parts and all, i think the problem with me is more that i have many interests - but they are all just interests to a point - and there's nothing that - at this point - i can say i want to spend the rest of my working life doing...

i think after uni you could have both. lying about doing nothing and earning some money..i remember you already have a job you can do, right? so... if you're gonna freelance then i think that's the perfect combination - do *some* work and do nothing for the rest of the time wink

i wish i'd gone to some kind of a big trip or something after uni. might have helped figure things out before starting to work and all. but hey, bygones... it's about what lies ahead. so.. whatever that may be.

thank almeida i found krav maga. at least that is a very cool part of my life right now.

tony.jpg

Board footer