24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-28 22:28:15

24nut
Website

Season 7 Information

here is a little tidbit on the supposed direction that they want to take with Season 7. So far, i think they have the right idea. lets just hope its good.

Coexecutive producer Manny Coto says: "Jack [Kiefer Sutherland] starts next season in a very different place than any season so far. Let's put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised if there's no CTU next year. CTU has become almost too comfortable, you know? 'We need to carry out this operation — Chloe, grab Satellite X and get us a feed!' That's gone. We're pulling the rug out from under our characters. It's a pretty radical shift — a totally different context with a totally different villain. There will not be a ticking clock on a nuclear device. We're hewing much closer to real life: tighter, more personal, more difficult for Jack. There may even be a plot thread that doesn't take place on U.S. soil. In a sense, it's a reboot — in location and personnel. We're going to be introducing a new stable of characters, along with a couple of old ones. Jack's not living under an alias. He's found a place he thinks he belongs and a job he enjoys doing that doesn't involve the government. What's also refreshing is the choice of villain: It's not a Muslim terrorist. In fact, it's not a terrorist at all. And the character is fascinating, someone with a supremely dark past who's done something horrific and whose ambition is to regain his stature in the world. I just can't say enough how exciting it is. It's going to be pretty damn cool."

that sounds very cool indeed, seems like they really know what they are doing with this season, Jack with a new job away from the government, sounds awsome. This is almost like a reinvention with 24, seems like it is going back to its roots.

Last edited by 24nut (2007-05-28 22:31:53)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2007-05-28 23:10:33

Sam Smith

Re: Season 7 Information

yeah. really...

presidentoj5.jpg

#3 2007-05-28 23:13:10

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Where's this come from?, this sounds really cool, although I always take earlier reports no matter how good the source which a pinch of salt, the creative process naturally means things will shift between now and cameras rolling.

... for people who are interested i've found the link, ... , http://www.tvguide.com/Magazine/Cover-Story/, scrol down a bit to find it, though 24nut has posted everything of note.

Having thought about this a little more, something has to be done, the show can not continue in it's current state, but the change of direction has to be done carefully, going back to the show's roots it's great, but if they strip back too much then it could become something so far removed that it won't interest any of the core audience.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#4 2007-05-29 00:04:57

24nut
Website

yeah it was a tv guide article in which i got it from, i will remember to source it next time, i was just so excited reading about it. I agree, this has to be done careflly for it to work, but i think that Kiefer has built such a solid character and i think that removing CTU from 24 wont affect it that much, Jack has been 24 from the very beggining.

Last edited by 24nut (2007-05-29 00:07:06)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2007-05-29 08:47:41

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah I think removing CTU is most probably a must, or perhaps they could have a diminshed role, Jack going there for a few favours when he really needs to.

#6 2007-05-29 16:26:36

24nut
Website

CTU has to take a sideline im afraid, i feel that the plot relies on it too much.

#7 2007-05-29 17:35:59

24crazy
Website

I think it's a good idea that they're changing things up. 24 has just started to seem old the past 2 seasons and I think this change will be cool and nice. Thanks for posting this. smile

#8 2007-05-29 19:53:20

24nut
Website

24crazy wrote:

I think it's a good idea that they're changing things up. 24 has just started to seem old the past 2 seasons and I think this change will be cool and nice. Thanks for posting this. smile

no problems for posting 24crazy, just thought you guys would find it intresting to see the new direction that the writers are taking, maybe we should come up with a few ideas that could happen next season?

#9 2007-06-07 09:46:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

24crazy wrote:

24 has just started to seem old the past 2 seasons

it has, and it has become boring and failed to interest me in season 6 completely and partly in season 5.

24nut wrote:

Jack has been 24 from the very beginning.

I disagree. the first season was about people. not only jack. and I still believe firmly that jack alone can't carry it. just look at what happened to season6. they need to rebuild an interesting cast, characters that you care about, villains with charisma that you're afraid of and a personal, evil, mean threat to jack for the series to continue to interest people. otherwise I'm afraid I see 24 falling down in ratings and / or losing the rest of it core audience. especially if - as has been mentioned by dan - the shift to a new 24 isn't done carefully enough.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#10 2007-06-28 15:46:37

smitten

Having just read the latest spoilers - female president - fine. Female FBI agent - great, I just hope she's a black belt in something or other. Keeping Jack and Chloe and ditching CTU - yes I can see that working better than replacing Jack with another Doylish character. But London!!! London!!! I ask you. Why don't they come to Edinburgh? It's much more telegenic. And London is so dreadfully overdone on American TV. I can just see Jack dangling from the second hand of Big Ben, or locked up in the Tower. Let's hope they leave London to Homer Simpson and come to a more civilised part of the UK.

Apologies to Londoners out there, nothing personal. I just want to be an extra.:)

#11 2007-06-28 20:25:50

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Ah, the "we might film in london", that is literally one of the oldest 24 rumours going, beaten only by the "we might do a film". If I had a pinch of salt for every time i've heard it, i'd be buried under the stuff by now. Actually filming anywhere outside of the states will not happen in the TV series, i'm 95% sure of that. They could fake a few scenes as being somewhere outside of london, knicking some establishing shots from somewhere, then be inside a studio, but not actually film there.

Having another main location other than L.A. may happen, though say to the extent that it happened in S3 with Los Nieves.

Female President, possible, though really i wouldn't be too surprised if there was very little of the president next year anyway.

#12 2007-06-28 22:08:54

J_A
Administrator
Website

agreed with all points of what dan said. and btw, very good comment there about the pinch of salt lol. you're right.

I think the reason american tv keeps coming back to london is just that maybe some americans - no offense intended - know only of london... i mean, face it, it's not like an average american who's never left their country knows any small cities in the UK - I'd be happy if most of them could distinguish switzerland from sweden... sorry, but it's just the way it is.

as for the setting for 24 being somewhere other than the States, remember kuala lumpur in season 1 - that was set outside of the US and so if in that season they'd said, "oh, we're filming outside of the US" that would have been true even if it was just the one scene wink. and I'm not insinuating that they actually went to kuala lumpur.... just painting a picture there. I think - if anything - that it will be done in the movie. but not in the series.

as for the choice of city in the US: why does it always have to be LA - it doesn't. but - to be perfectly honest - america also has other cities just like the UK is more than london - so I don't see a reason to do it in washington. for all I care, move it to Naperville Illionois wink (those who have seen a certain Carlos Bernard interview will remember big_smile)

and the female pres.... i think i might have said it in the other thread that steve started - it reminds me of that series kiefer's father is in - it has a female pres. and frankly, I don't like it. but again, like dan said, if they're moving away from where they've been (even if they don't know where they're going wink) I doubt there'll be much presidential storyline in there - unless they deliberately put it to DC so that the pres is in danger - but then again, that'd be kinda old, right? we've had that. more than once

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#13 2007-06-28 22:19:50

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

I think the reason american tv keeps coming back to london is just that maybe some americans - no offense intended - know only of london... i mean, face it, it's not like an average american who's never left their country knows any small cities in the UK

Frankly, the UK is the size of a small U.S. state, so go ahead and pick a random small u.s. state, and then try and think of more than two or three cities in it.

as for the choice of city in the US: why does it always have to be LA - it doesn't. but - to be perfectly honest - america also has other cities just like the UK is more than london - so I don't see a reason to do it in washington.

I think really it's simply a matter of where they can film, realistically there restricted to L.A. and the immediate surrouding areas. Making L.A. look like another city, means selecting areas which are more generic to US cities, narrowing the possible film locations. Filming L.A. as L.A. means every so often they can go to a landmark people would recognise as actually really being L.A. - If that makes any sense.

#14 2007-06-29 08:48:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Frankly, the UK is the size of a small U.S. state, so go ahead and pick a random small u.s. state, and then try and think of more than two or three cities in it.

yeah I know. that's why I said, no offense intended wink. but what I added there is true, i'd still be happy if switzerland and sweden were not the same thing wink

f that makes any sense.

yes it does smile

tony.jpg

#15 2007-06-30 19:50:12

smitten

Ah! The pinch of salt. wink  Forgive my naivity.

My knowledge of the US comes solely from watching TV. I could probably count on one hand the landmarks that I could name, and say which city it's in. But I can tell you all about the public phone on the corner of Temple and Mercer, and traffic congestion on the Sepuleda pass. smile

As a film location, I still say Edinburgh would be great (we really do have pipers in kilts on street corners), but then Jack would run into trouble with the gun laws...

#16 2007-07-01 12:12:30

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

But I can tell you all about the public phone on the corner of Temple and Mercer

hmm, why temple and mercer? or do you mean Taylor and Vine, that's at least the payphone *I* know best lol ("He wants me to be at a public payphone at the corner of Taylor and Vine in five minutes. He'll give me further instructions from there" cool )

tony.jpg

#17 2007-07-01 13:28:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Temple and Mercer, as in "the cars been left on the corner of temple and mercer for you."

#18 2007-07-01 14:26:48

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh yeah right! the season 1 car nin aleft for jack. hehe. well, there you go. tony's "corners" I remember, Jack's I don't so much lol!

tony.jpg

#19 2007-07-01 16:24:29

smitten

Ah, was it the car on Temple and Mercer and the phone on Taylor and Vine? smile 'nuff said.

How strange must it be to actually know where all these places are?

#20 2007-08-01 14:11:17

smitten

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I found a link with some reflections on season 6, mild season 7 spoilers.

http://www.hiifii.com/32278/close-encounter-of-the-keifer-kind.html

#21 2007-08-01 16:54:28

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

Ah, was it the car on Temple and Mercer and the phone on Taylor and Vine? smile 'nuff said.

How strange must it be to actually know where all these places are?

hehe, you know, with GoogleEarth you can actually find those places! lol I learned to use and like GE for finding routes through the city of L.A. during the writing of my own fanfics. it's indeed a very handy tool! big_smile. put the character in any location and take him from A to B using actual street names and highways. it also helped find suitable locations for things like prisoner exchange, hideouts and public places for meeting between informants big_smile. and then you go to that location online and see what it looks like inside etc, and you have a pretty good idea of the visual aspects of your scene.

tony.jpg

#22 2007-08-01 19:27:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

How Strange, I didn't see "Location scouting for Fan Fics" in the google earth feature list.

#23 2007-08-01 20:16:30

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

How Strange, I didn't see "Location scouting for Fan Fics" in the google earth feature list.

lol. well that's an example of the circumstance where WYSIWYG becomes WYSIWYMI (with MI meaning make it wink)

tony.jpg

Board footer