24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-30 16:00:57

deadmanmoz

Curtis

Hey dudes,

I personally felt Curtis's death was yet another stumble by the writers, he was never properly used and we never found out much about him.

my questions is why did they kill him to then bring in this doyle chump who already has a bigger role than curtis yet has the same job?

I can understand, to an extent, if they didnt want a head of field ops or anyone else out there with Jack but that aint the case!

Stupid writers!

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#2 2007-04-30 16:41:25

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Curtis

I think perhaps it's a case of rebooting the computer, if you'll excuse the metaphor. That sometimes, while two characters such as Curtis and Doyle can look exactly the same on paper, it can be the case that the first version of the character simply wasn't working and that they'd written themselves into a wall with the character. From what I understand Curtis would not have been back had they decided to kill him off. Which makes a certain amount of twisted sense. Doyle is in many ways Curtis mark 2 (or should that be Tony mark 3?), but perhaps it's that with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing the best time to bring him in, they've been able to give him a bigger role than Curtis had for most of Series 5.

And also, you said that maybe they didn't want a head of field ops, that makes sense to me, because really during the portion of the series when Jack was operating with CTU it doesn't make that much sense to have a head of field ops, but now that the story is headed in a different direction, where Jack might not always see eye to eye with CTU, it does make sense to have Doyle around. - I hope that made sense.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-04-30 17:33:51

J_A
Administrator
Website

personally, I never liked Curtis. the way they found a solution to the corner they had written themselves into, which is a pov I agree with completely, was an unavoidable one, although, like I said before, kinda cheap to have used carlos bernard's idea for tony's exit   on curtis after ep 5-13 ended like it did. *no, J_A won't start again!!!* either way, doyle seems to be a different kind of character, like dan said, so we'll see where that takes us. personally, though I assume CTU needs a head of field ops at all times, with jack in the field and doing 90% of the work as a lonely ranger, there just isn't too much to do for a CTU field team leader. but like dan said, if they play it well, it just might work out.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-04-30 17:47:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

It's also possible that characters in the lifespan of the role of "Jack's Partner" and/or "Secondary field agent" is limited. I think it varies from threat to threat, arc to arc. And you can fold in a general personal storyline to length it, but still I think really it's limited. Tony was the exception and not the rule.

You can fold Chase into this whole debate. At the start of the series, I thought it was the best thing they could have ever done to give him "a-young-Jack-a-like" as a partner, and for most of the season it worked well, but by the end he served only as a way to recap the plot between Jack and Chase and for Jack to think about Kim and "family". I think coming back from Mexico was about the time he'd outserved his purpose.

Characters of 24 have a shelf life, it's just that every so often the right actor is playing them, or there written better than usual and that shelf life increases. Tony & Chloe are the two indisputable examples, I can think of a few others, but there disputable.

#5 2007-04-30 17:51:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Tony was the exception and not the rule. ..
Tony & Chloe are the two indisputable examples

thank you smile. I really never did feel like Tony's time had run out. *sigh* though, MFL and I had been fearing he'd be done with in s4 already.

back on topic, I think what they're also doing is trying things out. bring in character A, if ppl like him, keep him for a while, if not, bring in character B and try again. it's a trial and error process, really, sometimes. some make it throughout a season alive and even live through multiple ones, and others don't. I keep thinking about when chloe will have outlived her usefulness, but so far - being that she's the only one left in CTU that jack can REALLY count on, it doesn't look like it - at least not yet.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2007-04-30 17:59:17

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Right now I think they could denote a nuke inside CTU and the writers would find a way for Chloe to survive, she's infinitely useful and on the list of characters unlikely to die, she's number 2 right behind Jack.

And not wanting to tempt fate, or the wrath of episode 515 blind people, but if they kill Chloe of, it had better be a good death, because otherwise I would get mad.

Anyway, where were we?

#7 2007-04-30 18:54:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

And not wanting to tempt fate, or the wrath of episode 515 blind people

surely you mean episode 5-13, dan roll tongue

hardy24 wrote:

Anyway, where were we?

I'm not exactly sure. lol.

tony.jpg

#8 2007-04-30 20:08:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

surely you mean episode 5-13, dan roll tongue

If you say so. Sorry just had flashes there of you sitting in a room with posters which say "no to 513" covering the walls, as if it was some public referendum.

#9 2007-04-30 20:19:04

M F Luder

hardy24 wrote:

If you say so. Sorry just had flashes there of you sitting in a room with posters which say "no to 513" covering the walls, as if it was some public referendum.

Then there would be at least two of us in that room, because I'm right there with her big_smile. And what you said about posters and the walls made me instantly think of the movie "V for Vendetta " for some reason smile. Don't konw why.

ifyoueverleave.jpg
Tony Almeida: Oh, rules apply to other people, but not to you, right Jack??

Tony Almeida: Well, uh... it's like this. Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

#10 2007-05-01 08:55:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

LOL, dan, nicely put, now *I* have the image of myself there, too wink

we all know characters have a shelf life on 24, but almeida... almeida is a deity, he should have lived forever. wink. seriously, though, they should have just handled it better. give a grat character a great death is all I asked for, was that too much? obviously. *stop rant*

tony.jpg

#11 2007-05-01 13:14:45

deadmanmoz

Fair points there guys.
Thank you for your opinions!

And yes Tony should have infinite shelf life, he is, after all, G O D

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#12 2007-05-01 13:33:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

deadmanmoz wrote:

And yes Tony should have infinite shelf life, he is, after all, G O D

hehehehe big_smile

tony.jpg

Board footer