24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-27 00:10:40

J_A
Administrator
Website

It's official - NO Season 9 for 24.

Twitter proves to be the most efficient way of breaking news on life and death of 24 these days.

Not so long ago (we're talking minutes, not hours), Jon Cassar, Rodney Charters and Mary-Lynn Rajskub commented that 24 will end its run after 8 years. I suppose there's still the possibility of a movie franchise, but there will be no 9th season - not on FOX and not on NBC.

This article on our front page cites the original posts on twitter:

http://24fans.com/2010/03/breaking-news-24-cancelled-according-to-jon-cassar/

This decision should come as no surprise to most of you. It certainly doesn't come as a surprise to me. This season has been less than satisfying, and I've been reading and hearing disappointed comments, to which I can only nod in agreement (and have done so in my article http://24fans.com/2010/03/running-out-of-steam-j_as-thoughts/ ).

It's time for 24 to go. Sad but true.

Sound off. What do you think?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2010-03-28 18:42:01

24nut
Website

Re: It's official - NO Season 9 for 24.

well now after a couple of days to think this through and actually process this news. This has come as no real suprise. I have mixed feelings. The first feeling was that something that has been a big part of my life will now be over, sitting down every week to watch the new episode was a ritual that i have carried out from the very beginning.

The other feeling i have refers to 24 losing its way and i can appreciate that i would rather it bow out now that when it is under great scrutiny by critics and the fans. I think 24's downfall has come when the show was produced as an in your face action show, which fans from the beginning will know it wasnt.

It lost that personal feel and that has only been reclaimed a few times during the latter seasons, the season 4 finale (jacks death), President Palmers assasination, Jack's confrontation with Heller in Season 6, and season 7 was a true return to form i thought. But season 8 so far hasnt really done much in terms of moving Jack's story forward, they had a real oppurtunity to keep the change going.

I think this may be down to the writers not wanting to annoy the execs by producing a season like season 1 again, seems to me they just want the all out action.

So im feeling rather bittersweet about the news, and im quite annoyed that the news has come during season 8 and i now have to watch the remaining episodes thinking about how on earth they are going to finish the series. I just hope that the last remaining episodes of season 8 are brilliant and it goes out on a high note. I sure hope the ending makes sense and doesnt seem like an add on to the season.

Recently i watched the Sopranos, i bought the tv boxset and having never watched an episode before i read some reviews and people were saying it was brilliant tv, so i bought it and watched the lot and as i inched closer to the ending episodes i felt rather sad knowing that the show had been cancelled for a while and that these last episodes are "the last". So i think thats how im going to feel with 24.

I just hope that the 24 community keeps the show alive via discussions and rewatches etc, im going to take the oppurtunity when 24 ends to just go start from the beginning and relive it again, as if i had hit stop accidentally on the remote and it hasn't really finished, but yet i have to start watching from the beginning.

I guess it will all come down to.... 3:59:57, 3:59:58, 3:59:59, 4:00:00. Let the rewatch begin.

Last edited by 24nut (2010-03-28 19:00:18)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

Board footer