24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 21:24:35

J_A
Administrator
Website

Discussion for Ep 7x06

Well... this episode was the first in a loooooooooong time with 24 which almost made me cry. There was so much pain surrounding Tony's character throughout the ep that it was very hard to see him suffering like that, going through everything again in his head, the pain at knowing what lies ahead, that he would have to betray one of his brothers.. and Emerson's speech in the van sure didn't make things easier... I'm sure that Tony would have done anything and everything he could have to avoid killing Emerson - but he was very aware that shooting him dead could very well turn out to be his only possiblility.... And then to have to kill one brother in order to save the other... this isn't over yet. tony and jack will still have lots of hills to climb... and like I said before, I can see the Brotherhood crumbling somewhere down the road - I can totally see tony and jack falling apart by the end of the season - OR overcoming their mutual problems and becoming tighter than ever before.

personally, i wouldn't mind them falling apart, and then reconciling over the course of season 8. but we sure are in for a good ride in terms of their relationship and I can't wait for tonight's episode

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2009-02-03 13:57:48

24nut
Website

Re: Discussion for Ep 7x06

I agree j_a, that scene in the back of the truck was absolutely fantastic, i really cant believe how srong the show has hit back, the way the camera went to Tony as Emmerson was talking and his eyes welling up with emotion, some of the best acting we've had from Carlos, Kiefer was also brilliant. The lighting the camera, it was all really good.

One main thing that i said at the end of season 6 was that 24 needs more personal storylines like season 1, some of you may remember a thread i opened about how 24 can return to form, well, they seemed to have got back to that, the fbi are involved but not too much, which is a good thing, we have Chloe and Bill working together which is awesome, i love how its just the shows greatest characters going up against the conspiracy by themselves, its really truely great. Is 24 better than ever, i think i must say yes.

The episode was perfectly paced, it may seem that not much happened, but it was definatly and episode that showed emotion from just about everyone, including the president, Tony, Emmerson, Jack and Henry Taylor.

Im sad to have seen Emmerson go like that, he was a really really good character, not one of these meaningless terrorists like some that have come before him, im sure some of you were a bit upset when he died.

This storyline is not over, i can either seen Tony falling away from Jack emotionally mid season only to return to form for the last 8 episodes, but i definatly cant see him going back to being really mad at the government. You know, i can see many many scenes ahead between Jack and Tony, intimate scenes that explore their friendship, after all the true brotherhood is between these two. They always have eachothers backs.

I cant wait for the next episode.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2009-02-03 21:27:09

J_A
Administrator
Website

you categorically refuse to use any apostrophes, don't you 24nut? lol.

yes, the season is shaping up to be the best so far. I'm always on the edge of my seat and having seen ep 7 tonight, I'll tell you I was genuinely a little afraid.

I loved emerson - but he had it coming. it was clear that tony would have to be the one to kill him - i'm just sorry we lost him this early in the season. but then again, as you'll see when you watch the next ep, a lot of things get wrapped up quite early in the season - which leaves us to wonder what will happen next.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2009-02-03 22:00:43

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Guys, just posted a review of episode 6 on the main site (http://24fans.com/2009/02/the-return-of-real-time-an-immediate-reponse-to-episode-6/).

I started writing almost as soon as the episode finished, and didn't stop until i'd finished. So it's a little rough round the edges, but it pretty much echoes what you've both said.

Also, would anyone like to take back anything they might have said about the President? I myself am considering printing out a few things I wrote about her and eating them. She was fantastic in episode 6.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#5 2009-02-03 22:19:35

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol. yes, I've actually taken back some of the things I've said. she's growing on me. smile

commented smile.

and will definitely feel the urge to review ep 7 - by almeida, it was amazing!

tony.jpg

#6 2009-02-04 02:40:32

Steveb

She still hasn't achieved the ranks of greatness borne by some of her 24 predecessors, as you pointed out in your review Dan. However, she has now, at least surpassed the shallow bands of mediocrity that Wayne Palmer, Daniels and Keeler laid out. Her character has some sense to her, as if here is a woman who believes in her moral conviction and will not abate until there is no doubt she is wrong. It's reminiscent of the trial of David Palmer in that sense, although with potentially different political views and moral reasons underpinning it.

It's odd that the first "real" terrorist attack of the series was almost a non-event. The big explosion felt tame and tawdry compared to the personal fireworks being played out. To steal a phrase from J.K. Rowling, essentially this episode was a tale of three brothers; everyone else was effectively unnecessary- the FBI (arguably, mercifully) were almost non-existent. This was Jack, Tony and Emerson and the choice of loyalty for Tony. It would have been easy and quite short-sighted to play out the entire confrontation between our heroes in this episode, but this is back-to-roots 24 and as such these things take time to build and to fester. There will, I'm sure, be a moment where Jack and Tony turn on each other, but not yet.

The writing in this series seems more mature. Details matter a lot more, and moments that in previous seasons would have been potential for boredom (such as the van scene) are picked at and turned into something astonishing. You're almost being made to feel that, as a viewer, you're allowed to see what's happening but be wary of picking a side because no one is blameless anymore- as Tony said, "the rules have changed." Yes they have, and not just for the story, but for the show. No more Jack is 24. Jack was 24, but this is a show that is once again more than the sum of its parts. It's once again an ensemble piece that puts the story and the argument first.

Long may that continue.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#7 2009-02-04 11:18:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

There will, I'm sure, be a moment where Jack and Tony turn on each other, but not yet.

Yes, that is my conviction as well. This season is so much about Tony and Jack that more great but painful stuff is coming. I hope taht they will still find a way to become brothers again - but there's no way to tell.

No more Jack is 24. Jack was 24, but this is a show that is once again more than the sum of its parts. It's once again an ensemble piece that puts the story and the argument first.

And thank gods in TV heavens for that. They have been reading our posts, and to quote Emerson, "More importantly, [they] listened." I didn't believe they'd have the guts to do this, but they did. Of course, the fans of explosions and believers in the "Jack is 24" credo are now bitching, but I am glad that those of us who thought differently have finally been taken seriously - because, well, the other camp has resulted in season 6 which apparently didn't go too well - or so I've heard wink

tony.jpg

#8 2009-02-04 20:44:18

Steveb

You almost sound like you're gloating there J_A!

I was in Zavvi today looking at boxsets and came across the Buffy seasons, and remember thinking how shocking their season six was as well. There's an odd comparison in that that seaosn began with bringing Buffy back to life and spent its first third trying to reacclimatise, while 24's sixth season had Jack coming back from China trying to do the same thing. I think the message to TV producer's is don't send your main character too far away at the end of season five, you'll only live to regret it.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#9 2009-02-04 21:03:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

You almost sound like you're gloating there J_A!

Do I? Yes, maybe. Because I believe that if they'd brought Tony back the same character he used to be, they would have pretty soon run out of stories for him again. and I've said it before, bringing him back as a guy who is neither black nor white but has quite a bit of grey around him was a strike of genius and has opened a myriad possibilities and roads for the character to travel. This way, however, we have a deeply rooted personal storyline going which justifies both tony's and jack's being involved and is giving us one great ep after another. I am afraid of how it will turn out, yes, but isn't gripping us and making us hurt and ache and fear what we ask of writers in a book, let alone a TV show like 24? Really, had it all been just peace and quiet between Tony and Jack, had Tony just been Jack's sidekick, how long do you think the writers would have gone before killing Tony off because they would have "run out of stories for him" AGAIN... Not too long, I'm tellin' ya. I believe that we'll see Tony in all 24 eps of season 7 and I think that he'll survive them - but like I said, there's no way to tell on what kind of terms he'll be with Jack, the world or himself.

don't send your main character too far away at the end of season five, you'll only live to regret it.

lol. well put!

tony.jpg

Board footer