24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-27 00:32:55

Steveb

Finding Redemption?

Firstly, apologies for having not posted any thoughts for season seven. I honestly will do in the fullness of time, but I need to rewatch them and get a better take on them. I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far- it is in many respects like watching season one again; everything is being played slowly, there's no rush to reveal anything and the characters feel complete. I'm not sure if this is an improvement on casting, or if it's simply that the producers and writers have been more thoughtful about what they're doing.

Anyway, the major problem I'm having with season seven isn't the season itself, it's the existence of it's prequel, 24:Redemption. The problem I'm having is that it feels in no small way, completely unnecessary.

What have we learned from the movie that this season itself hasn't shown us? How the coup in Sangala began? Why Jack returned to the US? The fact that Wayne Palmer never retook office after Day six? Yes, we now know all of these things, but are any of them, in fact necessary? Do they enhance our enjoyment of the story? Do the complete anything?

For me the answer to these last two questions is no. Now, please don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Redemption. I felt it was an enjoyable two hours of television. But that is all that it was. To me, it only exists to remind viewers that 24 was still there, as a corporate exercise almost. As a piece of storytelling, as a chapter in the 24 journey it is surplus to requirements. I've already said I can see favourable comparisons between season seven and season one. If you disagree with me about the point of Redemption, then let me try and put it into context, would day one have been any better with a prequel?

Would we have gained anymore from the first series if we'd seen Jack undertake Operation Nightfall or Keith Palmer attack his sister's rapist or even the initial recruitment of Jamey and Nina? I don't think we would, because to all intents and purposes we don't need to see these things. And that, to me, is where redemption falls down.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#2 2009-01-27 07:04:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Finding Redemption?

I think the point to be made about Redemption is that it wasn't written before episode 1. It was written afterwards from a collection of possible storylines that were rejected for episodes 1 - 4.

You have to see it as simply a stand alone movie, I believe looking into what Redemption contibutes to the overall is a bit like pulling at a loose thread.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2009-01-28 12:16:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

I agree with both of you. The problem with Redemption is exactly what Steve said: it was there to remind us 24 was still there and that it was about to return - and that's how it comes across. it doesn't add anything to the story of the season itself. I've watched it once, and I do not feel like really watching it again. But the season itself is very solid so far, and in so many ways it does feel like season 1 over again. In that context, I wanted to quote an interview with Carlos that just surfaced (though it was done before s7 aired) and he really speaks from our hearts:

The show can really go two different directions: one being a more personal level-type storytelling, and then the other one is this huge explosion-type direction where they are setting off dirty bombs. And sometimes we get a little too carried away with the explosions. For me, the show doesn’t work as well if it isn’t rooted in some sort of personal story. This year it all definitely comes back to being very personal for the characters. I really think this year’s ending is one of the better ones.

and that's really what makes this season so damn good. And why I won't support the critics who are used to and loving the hollywood-movie type explosions.

the last sentence there, about "this year's ending" is making me a little fearful again though. carlos has given interviews lately that have made me think that tony will live to see the end of season 7 and even survive the season. but because season 7 is so remeniscent of season 1, naming the season's ending in this context inevitably reminds me of teri dying in jack's arms.... they won't kill tony again, will they?...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2009-01-28 14:59:07

Steveb

Dan, I know that it written afterwards, but I think that's one of the issues with it. Because they've tied it into the storyline of the season it comes across as join the dots exercise rather than a truly stand alone story. I think if they'd dispensed with the President's son's storyline then it would have been much better, as it didn't achieve anything. The Sangala plot line on the other hand worked well and combine the personal and explosive elements nicely.

J_A as far as the ending of this season goes I think Tony has to be crucial to it. There was an ending I wrote for an episode of The Lost Hours awhile back (yes I am still working on that!!!) that had Jack and Tony meet at Teri's grave and a sniper to fire at them as the clock ticked. I can only imagine that the season ending is going to have a quality like that with the personal and explosive stories of Jack and Tony meeting in the middle.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#5 2009-01-28 15:31:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

I totally agree. tony has to be crucial to it cause he is a crucial part of the season, and it is really building and thriving on him and he and jack's relationship. I have been thinking a lot about the Brotherhood between Jack and Tony and this season, and I think there are two ways the season can end: either with them having resolved their issues and being true brothers again - or with them falling apart for good, each unable to forgive the other for the things they'd done or caused. hence, a tony dying ending could work both ways: either dying at jack's hands or in his arms. both would have an emotional toll on jack but the brotherhood would be crumbling. I don't think an ending with Tony's death would really work very well for the season though. Not in THIS season. But I can see them having lots of issues to resolve, I can see the brotherhood crumbling as the season goes on and them ending up going separate ways never planning on crossing paths again. Then, the last season, season 8 brings them back together and ends with the brotherhood being intact again and most likely with both characters dead.

I just talked to nero a little while ago and we agree that whatever happens, s7 will have to have an emotionally strong ending. if not one like s1 (which we're scrapping if we scrap the idea of tony dying), then probably something like s3, or 6. with tony, or possibly jack and tony having an emotional breakdown.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer