24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 15:27:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Episode 18

Official topic for discussing episode 18 which aired yesterday night on Fox in the U.S. and will air on Sky One on April 29th in the U.K.

Usual warnings if you haven't seen the episode yet.

Related Links
This episodes trailer @ http://24fans.com/?p=255
Next episode trailer @ http://24fans.com/?p=259
Read a episode guide and rate the episode @ http://24fans.com/?page_id=260

Okay, thoughts on the episode?

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-04-17 19:54:11

kmec and 24 both rule

Re: Episode 18

i think jack will definitely stop the terrorists in no more or less than 24 hours.  what do you guys think?

#3 2007-04-18 09:40:11

deadmanmoz

I think you may have a point, im not sure what it is but something................. lol

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#4 2007-05-01 16:20:15

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Reviving this topic for Sky One viewers who may have just seen Episode 18 on Sunday.

#5 2007-05-01 17:56:13

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh just watched the trailers you put up, of eps 17 and 18 and I have to admit I can't wait. the confrontation between jack and doyle looks really really good, promising, in fac, as does jack's going on to a suicide mission again - well, I simply love that stuff.

for the record, I didn't think audrey had been killed in the first place so it's not a surprise to see it was a plot to draw jack out into the open again, although I had kinda wished the chinese story wouldn't be picked up YET again. but we'll see how it plays out. I should be getting eps 17-20 next week and will post my thoughts.

candidate for best quote: "Mr. President. You owe me." cool

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2007-05-01 22:25:34

24nut
Website

i liked the parts with Palmer and the parts where Jack made Palmer agree to the mission to save Audrey, and im glad Jack is standing up for himself, i loved his line "You owe me" He paused between the you and the owe part because he knew he had never said this before. But the only thing that is getting to me is that fight scene in episode 17, it was so good that i would have been happy for that to finish the season, imagine it, Jack kills fayed brutally and then collapses to the floor, the crisis has been saved and Jack hasn't vanished or been kidknapped, now it seems a wee bit anti climatic.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#7 2007-05-02 07:50:31

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah that's true. from that prequel id does seem like he'd been shot or something (although he IS wearing a vest and there was no headshot but let's brush past that wink). I'll assume he just passed out from the impact

frankly, I'd also prefer an ending of the series where jack is "shot" and leaves you wondering if he lived or died to see the next season - although, frankly, we know there will be a movie and a 7th season - so to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how "climatic" that would have been

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#8 2007-05-06 12:21:16

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

... the confrontation between jack and doyle looks really really good, promising, in fac, as does jack's going on to a suicide mission again - well, I simply love that stuff.

candidate for best quote: "Mr. President. You owe me." cool

Agreed. I get the feeling Doyle likes seeing hand cuffs on Jack almost as much as Jack likes wearing them. And I loved the bit when Doyle spits at the guards "Get him up!". First, he could have simply helped Jack up himself, but this way just emphasises how much power he has over Jack in custody. Second, I just love it that Jack can speak to Buchanan seated, but has to stand to speak to the President on the mobile phone. Brilliant!

Overall, it wasn't the most exciting episode ever, but still I really enjoyed it (having just come back from holiday - 2 weeks without TV or broadband!). I have only one problem of logic with the plot. If the Chinese have had Audrey for the last few months, why didn't they use her before now? Let's face it - Jack would have sung like a canary as soon as they put the thumbscrews to her. The idea that they spent all this time torturing a man who wasn't going to break, then given him to the Americans as part of a deal without using their one trump card - it's a bit weak.

Another bit I did like was when Wayne had his stroke. I liked the way he did the confusion coming on gradually. Nice touch.

Smitten

#9 2007-05-06 12:34:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Your probably right about the new storyline smitten, that it doesn't make all that much sense, although really I think they can get away with it because we don't really know the entire timeline of events. I'm guess the central conceit is that the chinese knew that even with both Audrey and Jack in custody and torturing Audrey to get Jack to talk, they figured that Jack is more useful to them if he was back in america so they could get him to do whatever they needed.

#10 2007-05-06 12:59:09

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Your probably right about the new storyline smitten, that it doesn't make all that much sense, although really I think they can get away with it because we don't really know the entire timeline of events. I'm guess the central conceit is that the chinese knew that even with both Audrey and Jack in custody and torturing Audrey to get Jack to talk, they figured that Jack is more useful to them if he was back in america so they could get him to do whatever they needed.

Yes, I could accept that. We also need to accept that they could predict that Audrey would be useful to them in the US - as they clearly transported her there previously and not in this 24 hour time-frame. Did they know about the suitcase nukes and which components would be valuable to them? Or - tongue firmly in cheek - were the Chinese *also* in on the assassination of David Palmer? You are quite right that certain aspects of the time line are hazy - deliberately so nothing's impossible.

#11 2007-05-06 13:04:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah all that sounds plausible. although - playing devil's advocate here - it seems like a little bit of waste of thoughts and words to be trying to figure out the "logic" of audrey's involvement (however involuntary wink) in all this since the storyline has admittedly been "tackled on" as a last ditch resort for saving the 24 hour series when the main storyline has finished too soon due to poor planning.

tony.jpg

#12 2007-05-06 13:59:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I personally am not going to look on the storyline any differently just because of the reasons it is around. Obviously knowing the circumstances under which it was conceived helps explain the "logic" or possible lack there of. But I would have to say that if people mark this storyline down, or indeed the series as a whole because of this, then i'd have to say, sometimes even with the best planning you can't get 24 episodes out of one storyline and it's simply better to do two. If the episodes stand up at all, then they've done a good job in the circumstances.

#13 2007-05-06 16:05:48

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah ok, that's a fair place to be. smile. It's good that audrey is being given something else this season - although the make up of it smells somewhat season 4 like. (again, I haven't seen the relevant eps yet, I will soon. hopefully this week)

tony.jpg

Board footer