24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-09 20:28:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

CTU: Provo - The Ultimate FanFilm

I've just posted this on the main site, but it's worth posting again here.

I often receive emails from various people asking me to look at various 24 related materials they’ve made, hoping i’ll post about them here, not to downplay the efforts made but if I posted about any and everything which gets sent my way, it’s all this site would be, and so i’ve got to save my breath until something truly worth posting about comes along, which is the case now.

“CTU: Provo” is a fanmade ‘parody-homage’ which runs to a full 90 minutes. Don’t me mislead by the word fanmade, the film has very impressive production qualities, enjoys an excellent cast, a solid script and direction which at times is more inventive than that shown on the show itself in recent times.

The film follows the team of the CTU field office, a Jack Bauer wannabe and his best-friend as they try to avert a eco-terrorist threat made against the most unlikely of targets, the small town of Provo, Utah. What ensues is at different times, exciting, funny or just down right silly, but always highly entertaining. In short, if your in need of something to watch while you soldier on through the torturous wait until Series 7, then this is heaven sent and highly recommended.

Watch the trailer above and then head on over to the website to download the full length film, at the moment it’s only available as a direct download of 1GB, but i’m told torrent downloads will be up as soon as possible. I’ll probably be posting a full review in a week or so.

trailer : youtube.com
documentary teaser : youtube.com

Watch, then come back here and discuss, been emailing back and forth with the director for most of the afternoon who is a really nice guy, will post some of the insights he gave me a little later.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-05-09 20:50:51

24nut
Website

Re: CTU: Provo - The Ultimate FanFilm

Donny Osmond is in it, wow, cant believe he was up for this. thanks for posting dan.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2008-05-10 11:34:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

thanks for posting, dan. if you're this excited about it, i think i'll give it a try! and good strategy, that, on saving your breath until something truly worthy comes along. that way, we know we can trust your judgement and not waste our time on something which isn't worthwhile big_smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2008-05-10 11:43:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'd encourage everyone to give it a go, even and especially those who aren't necessarily watching the show anymore for one reason or another,

#5 2008-05-10 11:54:55

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I'd encourage everyone to give it a go, even and especially those who aren't necessarily watching the show anymore for one reason or another,

lol. yes, i did let MFL know ;-). might e-mail the link to mozz, once i've seen it.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-05-10 20:20:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok, i've downloaded it. the quality looks very impressive. i won't watch it tonight, but likely some time soon.

dan, you'll laugh now, but i'm using i-tunes to watch it... seeing as "windows couldn't find the appropriate program to open this file"...  ok, shoot me wink

tony.jpg

#7 2008-05-10 21:16:27

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

dan, you'll laugh now, but i'm using i-tunes to watch it... seeing as "windows couldn't find the appropriate program to open this file"...  ok, shoot me wink

Ah, thats brilliant, it's a .m4v which is a quicktime file (another piece of apple software, hence why it also works in itunes), if you get an allergic reaction to itunes, vlc media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) will play it fine I should think.

#8 2008-05-10 22:30:10

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, i saw when i clicked the link that it would be a quicktime file (i did recognize the extension). i do have both quicktime and itunes installed (never ever use them... my brother's fault he put i-tunes on), so i decided to download the vid anyway. i think i'll give i-tunes a chance since i already have it. but thanks for the vlc mp link. we'll see how things go wink

tony.jpg

#9 2008-05-11 20:28:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok, i watched it. it's really a very very very good effort. i did recommend MFL to watch it. it's fun to watch, has interesting characters, solid storyline, nice camerawork, of course a lot of hidden and not so hidden references to 24 and very good quality. overall, it's a very impressive, professional job.thanks for sharing it, dan! the 1GB worth of download was really worth it!

tony.jpg

#10 2008-05-12 07:25:57

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I'm glad you liked it, how about some quick facts from the director/producer/co-writer

It had a budget of $15,000, they filmed from March 2007 to July 2007 then did pickups in October. There are 212 effect shots, all done on a solitary Mac.

All of Donny Osmond's scenes where shot in 3 hours in his home office, before they had a completed script.

Do people care to share the line or moment that gave them the biggest laugh?

#11 2008-05-12 15:42:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Do people care to share the line or moment that gave them the biggest laugh?

oh i'd love to but there were many good moments and i can't remember one single moment that i laughed at most. it'd be a whole list, i'm afraid, but putting all that in this thread might spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

but i'll say i was doing a "no, no, no, no" at the scene where [spoiler]the ultimate moment of 5-13 was being mirrored. you know what I mean :-p[/spoiler]

tony.jpg

#12 2008-05-12 17:32:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Reponse to spoiler

[spoiler]Did it hurt watching that scene played out for comedy?[/spoiler]
Yeah, your right, there probably are too many funny moments to list them all. I just really liked the little touches, that there where so many funny lines played so straight, that someone who hasn't obsessed over the show wouldn't have even known it was a joke.

#13 2008-05-13 16:30:00

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah exactly, it's really a film from fans for fans. i was thinking about how others - i.e. non-addicts - would see the film. I suppose in general it would be funny for everyone, but so much of the essence would get lost on someone who hasn't seen the relevant bits. oh and I also loved the wanna-be-bauer's T-shirt big_smile.

response to question above:[spoiler]hmm, i'm not sure, i don't think it actually hurt, I think it honored the moment more than anything else. but when i saw it coming, i was really like no no no big_smile but with a smile on my face all the way through[/spoiler]

tony.jpg

#14 2008-05-13 17:14:13

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

yeah exactly, it's really a film from fans for fans. i was thinking about how others - i.e. non-addicts - would see the film. I suppose in general it would be funny for everyone, but so much of the essence would get lost on someone who hasn't seen the relevant bits.

Yeah, exactly, I've got the film burnt to a DVD now and I was gonna show it to my family, who all do watch 24, but i'm not sure if they'll get most of it, my brother might, he after all shouted "what that fatty edgar got a silent clock but tony doesn't?!?!!" after 5-13 while my mum and dad just looked at him like he was crazy.

oh and I also loved the wanna-be-bauer's T-shirt big_smile.

Yes, thought you might.

#15 2008-05-13 20:24:19

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

my brother might, he after all shouted "what that fatty edgar got a silent clock but tony doesn't?!?!!" after 5-13 while my mum and dad just looked at him like he was crazy.

LOL. I like your brother! Is he single?? big_smile

jack_addict wrote:

Yes, thought you might.

In fact, I was thinking of making myself one of those wink

tony.jpg

#16 2008-05-13 20:32:32

Dyslexicon
Website

Yeah, exactly, I've got the film burnt to a DVD now and I was gonna show it to my family, who all do watch 24, but i'm not sure if they'll get most of it, my brother might, he after all shouted "what that fatty edgar got a silent clock but tony doesn't?!?!!" after 5-13 while my mum and dad just looked at him like he was crazy.

Let me know how that goes.  We've had some moderate success showing the movie to 24 non-fans, or to casual fans, but most of those people were the friend/relative types.  I've been too busy working on other projects to really set up a "Premiere" with all the trappings.  You know, red carpet, tuxes, fabulously beautiful women, after-parties...

Point is, I'm interested to see the reaction of the common folk to the movie. 

And as always, thanks for the support.

I aim to misbehave.

#17 2008-05-13 20:36:53

J_A
Administrator
Website

hey, didn't know you had joined our little community here. let me just say, very very good work! (but I have said that before, haven't I wink).

I'm currently in the process of working on two of my fellow 24fans (dan: MFL & kegmaster), and if they both download it by the end of the week we might do a kind of a sync'd viewing. I definitely won't mind watching ctu provo again

tony.jpg

#18 2008-05-13 20:37:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

my brother might, he after all shouted "what that fatty edgar got a silent clock but tony doesn't?!?!!" after 5-13 while my mum and dad just looked at him like he was crazy.

No. And He Doesn't Do Krav Maga Or Like The Cubs

jack_addict wrote:

Yes, thought you might.

Reckon you might be able to buy them from somewhere, if Alan gets his login sorted, you can ask him where the shirt came from.

#19 2008-05-13 20:43:00

J_A
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

No. And He Doesn't Do Krav Maga Or Like The Cubs

rotfl. ok ok, I wasn't SERIOUS, OK?? tongue. and he doesn't need to do KM or love TC (I don't watch baseball anyway), all he would need to do is respect the almeida wink*

Reckon you might be able to buy them from somewhere, if Alan gets his login sorted, you can ask him where the shirt came from.

yes, alan got his login sorted. I dunno, buying it might cost me a bit much - but ok:

alan, where did that t-shirt come from?

*should I change my username to Tony_Addict???

tony.jpg

#20 2008-05-13 20:43:23

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Hi Alan, good to see it's finally working, sorry about all the hassle.

Dyslexicon wrote:

Let me know how that goes.  We've had some moderate success showing the movie to 24 non-fans, or to casual fans, but most of those people were the friend/relative types.  I've been too busy working on other projects to really set up a "Premiere" with all the trappings.  You know, red carpet, tuxes, fabulously beautiful women, after-parties...

Point is, I'm interested to see the reaction of the common folk to the movie. 

And as always, thanks for the support.

Yeah, when I go back home i'll do an airing off it, and see who laughs out loud, who shrugs and who quietly sneaks out. I'm sure my mum will like it, although thats purely because of Donny Osmond.

#21 2008-05-13 20:45:45

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

rotfl. ok ok, I wasn't SERIOUS, OK?? tongue. and he doesn't need to do KM or love TC (I don't watch baseball anyway), all he would need to do is respect the almeida wink*

Yeah, I thought as much, joke just works better.

Yes.

#22 2008-05-13 20:50:50

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

Yes.

hmm. but then the name would have to be,
tony_addict, formerly known as jack_addict?

in the fashion of The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. lmao

btw, in Blowback - my newest 24 fic  - or novel I'd have to say - on page 106, I gave Jack a choice of a Dell desktop comp and an i-book - jack chose the i-book wink. happy? big_smile

tony.jpg

#23 2008-05-13 21:00:22

Dyslexicon
Website

jack_addict wrote:

Yes, thought you might.

Sorry, the shirts were hand-made by a friend of mine, I think they only printed up about 15 of 'em, and of course, they've all gone to fans and friends here locally.  Otherwise I'd totally hook you up.

And I have to say, Jack Bauer would definitely use a Mac.  He always needs things to work right now!

I aim to misbehave.

#24 2008-05-13 21:07:06

J_A
Administrator
Website

Dyslexicon wrote:

Sorry, the shirts were hand-made by a friend of mine, I think they only printed up about 15 of 'em, and of course, they've all gone to fans and friends here locally.  Otherwise I'd totally hook you up.

that's ok, i figured they were made extra for the movie. I've already made one almeida t-shirt for myself, i think i can manage another. thanks anyway!

And I have to say, Jack Bauer would definitely use a Mac.  He always needs things to work right now!

lol. you missed a whole debate here earlier, alan, so I won't warm it up wink. but yeah, i know ctu provo was made in the mac world - hence why i had to use i-tunes to watch it - it worked fine, indeed.

tony.jpg

#25 2008-05-13 21:16:37

hardy24
Administrator
Website

lol. you missed a whole debate here earlier, alan, so I won't warm it up wink. but yeah, i know ctu provo was made in the mac world - hence why i had to use i-tunes to watch it - it worked fine, indeed.

rofl, nothing more to say.

Board footer