24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-22 09:12:10

Past Present Fortune

Real-Time Chat System?

I was simply wondering if it would be possible to have a real-time chat system on the website as I have seen them on many other websites before and they seem to work great and also as I believe that this website has a great community but no way of expressing themselves directly and this real-time chat system would allow them to do this... I firmly believe that doing this will improve the websites user activity drastically, especially when 24 comes back on air.

#2 2008-04-22 11:20:24

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Real-Time Chat System?

Unfortunately something like this simply isn't possible at this stage, for a few reasons

1) It would take a fair bit of maintenance to setup and keep running smoothly, on the technical stuff 24fans.com is a one man operation, i.e. just me
2) A real time chat system could quite probably need to have atleast some one person acting in some kind of moderating position all the time in case discussions got out of hand etc., while that might be possible with volunteers etc it's still needs organising which is a lot of work.
3) I honestly believe that a chat system would simply split conversation between it and the forums, simply confusing discussions and not helping the overall situation.

Now these things may be small issues in 3, 6 or 12 months, so I'll keep an eye out, and maybe i'll reconsider the decision in the future.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-04-22 15:45:44

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:

Unfortunately something like this simply isn't possible at this stage, for a few reasons

1) It would take a fair bit of maintenance to setup and keep running smoothly, on the technical stuff 24fans.com is a one man operation, i.e. just me
2) A real time chat system could quite probably need to have atleast some one person acting in some kind of moderating position all the time in case discussions got out of hand etc., while that might be possible with volunteers etc it's still needs organising which is a lot of work.
3) I honestly believe that a chat system would simply split conversation between it and the forums, simply confusing discussions and not helping the overall situation.

Now these things may be small issues in 3, 6 or 12 months, so I'll keep an eye out, and maybe i'll reconsider the decision in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 2008-09-20 19:12:48

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I even think that it might kill forum activity altogether. because it's not too active to begin with and a lot of the activity is of course people talking to each other. so I don't think a chat system is necessary at all. not at this stage, as you say, dan.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer