24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-16 17:44:41

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Football on TV, Sky, Setanta and everything inbetween

The new football season has just started here (england) and the landscape of TV and other coverage is even more complex than ever. With new entrants Setanta having a third of all live games, with Sky Sports having the rest.

Sky Sports is too prohibitively priced, we've often looked into, but theres never been a way around it. But we have just signed up to Setanta at a tenner a month. Our signal only just went live yesterday, so I can't really comment on it so far.

But I wondered if any english football fans had thoughts and experiences with the various companies showing football of some kind.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2007-08-17 10:43:28

deadmanmoz

Re: Football on TV, Sky, Setanta and everything inbetween

Howdy buddy,

I also got Setanta Sport yesterday but i got it because Cambridge United (My team) were on it :-)
It seems pretty good because im a MASSIVE baseball fan and a big American sports fan and within the package you get NASN (National American Sports Network)
I do have sky sports as well though.
I wont be keeping Setanta i dont think because with sky sports, sky movies, sky plus and setanta its £61 a month!!!
OUCH!!!!!!!!
And i dont think the premiership setanta games are that good

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#3 2007-08-17 12:29:37

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I did catch some of the Cambridge game, (did it finish 1-1?)

Me and my brother are splitting the tenner a month, so we both think there is enough decent football to make it worthwhile, especcially since we've been desperate for some live football. In all likely hood we will cancel it when the season is over.

#4 2007-08-17 15:08:10

deadmanmoz

Good to hear you saw some of the mighty Cambridge :-)
It was a great game, both teams did well and it was and excellent advert for conference football.
Cambridge won 2-1 with a 92nd minute winner :-) :-) :-)
Deserved it though, SLIGHTLY better than Oxford.

I do believe Setanta Sports also show Scottish, French and German league games so thats cool.

And in all fairness the big games that sky have (Man u vs Chelsea, Chelsea vs Arsenal, Man u vs Arsenal etc) are usually boring and its the lesser games (That setanta have this year) that are crackers

Make no mistake gentlemen, we are in the fight of our lives, against maybe the greatest marine commander in the Vietnam War, I SH*T YOU NOT.

Now a days everybody wants to talk, like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out, when they move their lips, just a bunch of jibber-rish.

#5 2007-08-17 19:39:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

To be honest, I really think the premiership will be more competitive than ever this year, and so there will be some real hidden gems. One of the games coming up is Sunderland travelling to Man Utd, which given there relative starts will be interesting. I love it that teams in there first or second year in the league can take points off the top four if they have the right attitude and tactics. It's the beauty of this game.

#6 2007-08-20 10:22:15

deadmanmoz

It will certainly be an open Premiership this year.
Although after yesterdays disgraceful penalty decision by a referee that must be MINIMUM sacked i have a feeling people will make sure Chelsea (The worlds worst team to watch) will regain "Their" title.
I have lost ALOT of interest in the premiership in recent years, i much prefer watching lower leagues.

#7 2007-08-20 14:27:10

hardy24
Administrator
Website

As a liverpool fan i've been livid over that penalty for the last 36 hours. But even as a neutral, I don't want bad decisions like that influencing important title games.

We need replay decisions.

#8 2007-09-03 15:05:12

Steveb

I think Rob Styles idiocy has more than been made up for by this weekend. Liverpool scoring for fun and Villa doing everyone a favour, brilliant.

Oddly, we get Setanta as part of our Virgin Media subscription. Haven't looked into it too much yet as I've been too busy but I think it may be that we don't get the live games just all the stuff that goes with them.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#9 2007-09-03 16:52:38

hardy24
Administrator
Website

The live games are on setanta sports 1, if you've got that then you'll be able to see them.

On Rob Styles, I think it's now a must to have video replays and goal line technology in place as soon as possible.

Board footer