24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 09:01:10

smitten

Deathly Hallows

Just heard from Amazon yesterday that my copy, excuse me, my kids' copy of Harry Potter is on its way.  Anyone else here waiting with baited breath, or am I the only Potter fan?

#2 2007-07-18 11:20:47

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Deathly Hallows

I normally just wander into a shop and buy a copy sometime during launch day once the craziness has calmed down.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-07-18 11:35:09

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I normally just wander into a shop and buy a copy sometime during launch day once the craziness has calmed down.

hehe. *sometime during launch day*? then I'd say you're probably a bit of a potter addict tongue lol

I never read any of them. a friend suggested getting me the first book in swedish so I said ok I'll give it a try if she does. not sure if it's my thing. but i'm a bit curious to see what all the fuss is all about.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-07-18 12:36:34

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

but i'm a bit curious to see what all the fuss is all about.

There are very funny bits. Some of it is satire in the same vein as the Flintstones and then the Simpsons. Then sometimes you just have to marvel at the plot which is so intricately worked out. The best bits don't come across in the films at all, imho. Two things in common with 24: you have to suspend your disbelief in a way a bit different from other stuff; also because it goes on much longer than a normal series, you get to know the characters that bit better. (That's why it hurts so much when they die...)

#5 2007-07-19 12:03:55

24nut
Website

Im going to get a copy on saturday, trying to avoid spoilers going around left, right and centre though

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#6 2007-07-19 14:23:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

hehe. *sometime during launch day*? then I'd say you're probably a bit of a potter addict tongue lol

Well from launch day till when I finish the book I am, other times it's a dormant addiction.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#7 2007-07-19 17:33:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

Well from launch day till when I finish the book I am, other times it's a dormant addiction.

not like 24, then? wink

seriously, dudes, today in the evening paper they posted the worst possible spoiler in huge letters about the new book. apparently the entire book is already online - someone is said to have photographed the whole 497 pages (if you believe that it's up to you, I'm sure many ppl say they have these things before a new book is published) - and the paper without a spoiler warning or anything just put this thing on the title page... (you can read on, I'm not going to post the spoiler!)

it's of course about the rumor that [spoiler]harry will die at the end of the last book[/spoiler]
(putting the question itself in spoiler tags in case you hadn't considered that possibility)

of course, I will not say what they said would happen, but I could imagine that most of you out there would be / are / pissed off at this disclosure - if the headline is true, that is. I know just how pissed off I would be! this is something that would definitely kill all the anticipation and sweet fear you want in the reading of a book.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#8 2007-07-19 19:45:01

smitten

Trying to avoid spoilers, thanks for blocking that out.

In a way I'm a bit sad about the book coming out, because for years I've lived with Harry, and in between books I can make up my own ideas about what happens to him. Then when the book comes out I have to accept JK Rowling's version of what happens. Now this is going to be the last book, so it's like the final say. Tomorrow will be the last day when Harry is mine.

#9 2007-07-20 18:01:47

J_A
Administrator
Website

you're welcome although what I blocked out up there wasn't technically a spoiler since it doesn't reveal anything about the plot. it's just a major question that has been discussed.

I read the reactions to what the paper revealed. today, some ppl were actually thanking the paper for clarifying the issue, while others were off course quite pissed off. I would have been on the pissed off side. for sure.

tony.jpg

#10 2007-07-23 17:44:46

24nut
Website

I finished it yesterday morning, awesome book, best of the lot, it is probably one of the best books i have read and i've read a lot of classics and genres, a lot of parts mirror the lord of the rings though, but i wont say anymore due to spoilers. The ending is brilliant!

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#11 2007-07-24 10:36:44

smitten

24nut wrote:

I finished it yesterday morning, awesome book, best of the lot, it is probably one of the best books i have read and i've read a lot of classics and genres, a lot of parts mirror the lord of the rings though, but i wont say anymore due to spoilers. The ending is brilliant!

Thanks. I'm just over half way there, and very much gripped. (Seemed to have a slow start though?) Being slowed down a little by that fact that my youngest is no longer happy to be left out, so *all* the reading has to be out loud to the whole family. The rewatch is just going to have to wait...

#12 2007-07-25 18:50:42

24nut
Website

lol, sounds like you've got your hands full there smitten tongue

#13 2007-07-26 08:20:10

smitten

24nut wrote:

lol, sounds like you've got your hands full there smitten tongue

You know what? Life is good. smile

Actually, I got to a certain point, couldn't put the book down, chucked the kids out in the rain and finished the book. Slow start, but then really picked up from the point where [spoiler] Dobby appears[/spoiler]
and then is JKR at her best to the end. I cried when [spoiler] Dobby died and also when Percy is reunited with his family[/spoiler]

Favourite line has got to be:
[spoiler] when Dumberdore tells Snape to kill him. "Would you like me to do it now?' asked Snape, his voice heavy with irony 'Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"[/spoiler]
If there ever was a series that can make you laugh and cry at the same time, this is it.

#14 2007-07-26 15:10:43

emma143
Website

I got the bus to get the book on Saturday morning (before work) and then read it in my break. I found the book TEDIOUS...i mean the camping bit REALLY bored me but i am now like 40 pages from the end and dying to crack on with reading it....talking about people spoiling it...i fell asleep with my tv on the bbc on saturday night and woke up at 3am to see some childrens presenter announcing who dies in the book and all the sad bits!!!!! mad I was fuming so turned it off but ugh...RUINED the book....that and a bar man stealing my book and reading the last few lines from the bookto the whole kitchen sad im in trouble now for leaving it lying around :s anyway now the action has picked up its getting more excited....not quite northern lights tho

Emz
x
εїз

4B, 6A, 1A* and the geek rules supreme (but still cant spell)

Board footer